Starters for Canada vs Guadeloupe

Canada1

I think Peters might be a better selection only because of the heat. They're probably looking at close to 30C with close to 40C with the humidity, you probably don't want to use a sub on right/left back. If Klukowski isn't match fit then this probably isn't a good spot to start him. I don't see Gerba getting 90 either but Friend can be brought on for him when he's gassed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ledgerwood can't start next match, remember we need these games for prep as well and that performance definitely didn't earn him another look.. start Peters or Klukowski at right back.

Gerba definitely needs to start, push Jackson to the right wing and put Johnson in Dunfield's spot. I think Dunfield is a favourite of Hart's. I thought he was very weak vs the States, he just isn't good enough for this level he's an average to good MLS player, Tuscan and I were talking about how he was always making the easy pass and didn't seem to want the ball at all... very nervous. Johnson needs to be the energy back there and he's definitely a big game player and competitor, not to mention he's 5 years younger.

I don't think Hart is more taken by Dunfield's play than he is of Johnson's. I think Johnson has played in every game since Hart took over - Dunfield has only been back in the fold for 2 matches. Johnson has played in other MF roles for both club and country, so it may not be a case of him having "lost" the position to Dunfield. That said, I agree with you, Dunfield didn't show enough poise vs. the US to move Johnson out of the role that he is best suited to play - Dunfield should make way.

To be fair, it's not "people" so much as "Wingback6"

And for much of the last year, also our national team coach. Hmmm.....

I would like to see some real arguments made rather than regurgitation of tired cliches, and personal attacks...

And a target man... by definition... is not necessarily expected to score that often.

"used to distract opposing defenders to help teamates score, or to score himself"

from the definition of centre forward wikipedia association football positions.

notice... which is mentioned... first?

And for much of the last year, also our national team coach. Hmmm.....

I would like to see some real arguments made rather than regurgitation of tired cliches, and personal attacks...

And a target man... by definition... is not necessarily expected to score that often.

"used to distract opposing defenders to help teamates score, or to score himself"

from the definition of centre forward wikipedia association football positions.

notice... which is mentioned... first?

I'm also kind of getting tired of the personal attacks.

From what I saw in the US game we need to have one of Gerba or Friend starting in the lone striker role. They bring different things to the table for sure but I don't think we really need to be bashing them. Gerba doesn't have the touch or passing abilities that Friend does, but seems to be a better pure finisher. For me it's a real toss up but I would like to see one of them there. The high, long balls that were sent in Jackson's direction (if he is the lone guy) was not a high percentage play in the US game as he was less likely to win them and/or maintain possession. I'd like to see Jackson back out on the wing where he can focus on running at defenders.

Archived