Women's World Cup 2011 - General comments

Vic

* because of the low traffic in the World Soccer section I'm posting this here and going to continue with content on the women's tournament in the women's section.

Some interesting facts on the tournament:

Prize Money

Winner USD - 1,075,000

Runners-up USD - 875,000

3rd place USD - 725,000

4th place USD - 625,000

Quarter-finalists USD - 425,000

9th-16th place USD - 325,000

Trophy

The FIFA Women’s World Cup™ trophy was designed by William Sawaya from Milanese company Sawaya & Moroni. Originally hand-made for the 1999 tournament, it takes the form of a spiral band which encloses a football at the top. The trophy has a marble base and the spiral and football are of pure silver covered with 23-carat gold and white gold. It is 45cm high, nearly 10cm higher than the men’s trophy, has a maximum width of 15cm and weighs 1.8kg. Its original value is in the region of USD 30,000. A new trophy is produced for every FIFA Women’s World Cup™ tournament, which the winners get to keep. This is unlike the FIFA World Cup™ Trophy, of which there is only one original, which always stays in the possession of FIFA.

Golden Boot

The Golden Boot will be awarded to the player who scores the most goals in the final competition. If two or more players score the same number of goals, the number of assists (as determined by members of the FIFA Technical Study Group) will be decisive. If two or more players are still equal after taking into account the number of assists, the total minutes played in the final competition will be taken into account, with the player playing fewer minutes ranked first. The Silver Boot and the Bronze Boot for the second and third highest goalscorers will also be awarded.

Golden Ball

The Golden Ball will be awarded to the best player in the final competition on the basis of a vote taken among the media accredited for the final competition. A Silver Ball and a Bronze Ball will be awarded to the second and third best players.

Golden Glove

The Golden Glove will be awarded to the best goalkeeper in the final competition on the basis of a ranking compiled by the FIFA Technical Study Group.

All-Star Team

Beginning in 1999, FIFA's Technical Study Group began selecting a World Cup All-Star Team. The only double winners are Chinese defender Wang Liping and German midfielder Bettina Wiegmann (in '99 and '03) and German forward Birgit Prinz (in '03 and '07). Charmaine Hooper is the lone Canadian to have been selected ('03) and at 35 years, 261 days she is also the oldest goalscorer in the Women's World Cup.

Team Scoring

The record for consecutive games scoring a goal is 15 (Norway) followed by Sweden (14), however both streaks have ended. Australia have scored in their last 12 Cup games and Canada have scored in all 12 games they have played in the Women's World Cup.

Foreign Coaches

Two of the teams participating in 2011 will be coached by a foreigner: the USA by Pia Sundhage (SWE) and Canada by Carolina Morace (ITA). Only three other teams have been coached by a foreigner in the past: Nigeria by Jo Bonfrere (NED) in 1991; Canada by Even Pellerud (NOR) in 2003 and 2007; and China PR by Marika Domanski-Lyfors (SWE) in 2007.

Mascot

karlai.jpg

Karla Kick, the Official Mascot of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2011, was born in 1995, on the very day that the German team played in the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ final for the first time. Karla Kick will be 16 years old when the FIFA Women’s World Cup will be staged in Germany in summer 2011.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I had little expectations when I watched those but they made my day. Thanks very much for posting them.

Listening to June Gregson I actually had a major case of the goosebumbs. And when 17 year-old Lucy Paley said "what this English FA school program gives me is a coaching pathway if playing doesn't work out" - I nearly fell off my chair! I never thought I'd hear that from a girl in my lifetime!

I've read about Discover Football a few times but always considered their efforts pretty token and narrow in effect. But the most enjoyable part of that second clip was the purity and strength of the African and Andean women. Never spoiled by a cent or an ounce of anything from anyone. There are many faces to the beautiful game but that's one that's as heartwarming as the grace of Messi on the field.

Someone should arrange for that group of South African women in the Heroes section (the Vakhegula Vakhegula - Grannies Grannies) to play those Andean women for the traditional three guinea pigs.

And when 17 year-old Lucy Paley said "what this English FA school program gives me is a coaching pathway if playing doesn't work out" - I nearly fell off my chair! I never thought I'd hear that from a girl in my lifetime!

More telling in her comment Vic was the ... i can go to America to coach.... because she essentially knows in England she wont be accepted as and equal and wont get a job coaching for money.

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=6240

What looks like it might be a good preview magazine. (Alyssa tweeted this)

Interesting. They're getting there. A little soft on the layout inside but more importantly they're the first to go digipay and good on them. Little steps lead to big journeys.

As an FYI, I asked the authors if they'd do a group price so that I can distribute this to my daughter's soccer team; they said yes and will firm up the price in the next little bit. I'm going to print it out for distribution and if any of them want the pdf I'll forward it on with the caveat that they should be respectful of copyright...

Do the German players receive a salary to be a full time member of their National team or do they have other occupations that support leaves of absences to participate. I've heard that some are in the military. Are there any biographies available?

Do the German players receive a salary to be a full time member of their National team or do they have other occupations that support leaves of absences to participate. I've heard that some are in the military. Are there any biographies available?

I think we covered this quite awhile ago when we were discussing the pro female European league structure specifically the GWNT versus the North American amateur, NCAA, USL and WPSL structure specifically USWNT. How they impact player development in different ways but yield similar results with USWNT and GWNT alternating at 1 and 2. GWNT players are in a pro league similar to men's and USWNT in a pro WNT. Further the advantages the European teams have in having so much and deep quality in football in such a small geo footprint vs NA. They really don't travel or go out of their leagues much.

It was pointed out that there are 28 UEFA female leagues (http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/women/index.html) in Europe with Germany having the most advanced league ( http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=3141 ). Also that the top ranked 20 year old plus Women's Bundesliga of 12 teams is where the majority of GWNT players ( http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=142 / http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/teams/team=1882879/index.html ) make a living. Most of the Women's Bundesliga teams have some web sites or links on the interweb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu%C3%9Fball-Bundesliga_(women) )

Not a great first 45 minutes and a poor performance by both teams. The fans at halftime all look like they are on the edge of sleep. Jason de Vos called the French toothless in the attack which was a brilliant turn of words. I'm not sure the phrase for the Nigerians, but they were worse. Bodes GREAT for Canada.

Not a great first 45 minutes and a poor performance by both teams. The fans at halftime all look like they are on the edge of sleep. Jason de Vos called the French toothless in the attack which was a brilliant turn of words. I'm not sure the phrase for the Nigerians, but they were worse. Bodes GREAT for Canada.

France 1 Nigeria 0 Fulltime

Yes sir France showed nothing really I am now convinced they will not be any trouble if they play like that on Thursday.

U.S. needs to change style at women's World Cup: Pellerud

SINGAPORE | Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36am EDT

(Reuters) - The United States, who open its women's World Cup campaign against North Korea on Tuesday, should ditch its possession-based style in favor of a more direct approach, according to 1995-Cup winning coach Even Pellerud.

Pellerud, who coached Norway to victory at the 1995 tournament, said U.S. coach Pia Sundhage had no shortage of attacking options at her disposal in Germany but the side struggled against the top teams due to their midfield shape.

Instead of a controlled, possession-based style, the United States should rely on a more direct route to goal, Pellerud told ESPN Monday.

"In my opinion, if the United States played a more direct game they would be even more dangerous with the attacking power they have," said Pellerud, who currently manages Trinidad and Tobago.

"That's been my main concern for a long time about the United States, the midfield shape. The midfield is rarely in balance. Against not-so-good teams they can always recover from a bad shape.

"Against the better teams they will not recover because the other teams are as good as the United States is.

"The United States has the skill, but they don't always have the discipline," he added.

The United States will also face Colombia and Sweden in Group C of the tournament.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/28/us-soccer-women-world-us-idUSTRE75R1ED20110628

U.S. needs to change style at women's World Cup: Pellerud

SINGAPORE | Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36am EDT

(Reuters) - The United States, who open its women's World Cup campaign against North Korea on Tuesday, should ditch its possession-based style in favor of a more direct approach, according to 1995-Cup winning coach Even Pellerud.

<snip>

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/28/us-soccer-women-world-us-idUSTRE75R1ED20110628

When you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

As a second to his point, the USA has the world's best direct women's soccer development system in the world. An NCAA thousand-colleges system built on athleticism and unlimited substitutions.

Colombian goalkeeper tossed for failing drug test

1433509_FULL-LND.jpg

Colombian player Yineth Varon provisionally suspended following anti-doping test

The chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee has provisionally suspended the Colombian player Yineth Varon in view of the adverse analytical finding of her “A” sample after an out-of-competition doping control conducted in Leverkusen on 25 June 2011 in application of arts 34 and 35 of the FIFA Anti-Doping Regulations.

This suspension covers all types of matches at domestic and international level, including friendlies. The player has the right to ask for her “B” sample to be analysed.

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/organisation/media/newsid=1463338

Archived