Gold Cup 2011 Canada - USA Pre-Match thread

forster01

This is the starting 11 I imagine Hart will use:

Borjan

Ledgerwood-Hainault-McKenna-De Jong

De Guzman-Hutchinson

Jackson-De Rosario-Simpson

Friend

However their is the possibility that Ledgerwood is replaced by Peters. De Guzman is replaced by Dunfield and that Friend is replaced by Gerba

Here is probable starting 11 for the USA versus Spain

Howard

Bocanegra, Onyewu, Ream, Cherundolo

Dempsey, Jones, Bradley, Donovan

Altidore, Wondolowski

Canada versus USA previous matches

37 meetings Canada: 10W-12D-15L

Last Match USA 2 - Canada 1

Team statistics for Friendlies in 2010

Canada: 6matches 1W-2D-3L

USA: 10 matches 4W-2D-4L

Last Match

Canada 2 - Ecuador 2

USA 0 - Paraguay 1

Players to Watch

Canada

Atiba Hutchinson - PSV - 53 caps - 4 goals

USA

Landon Donovan - LA Galaxy - 130 caps - 45 goals

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been debate about whether Tim Ream should start against Spain - either at CB or LB - which means Boca at either CB or LB. Spector or Dolo at RB and whether Bornstein should be in the lineup (at LB). Also, the US is playing more of a 4-5-1 these days and probably will do so against Spain today. May switch to to 4-4-2 against us though...for today against Spain mid and forwards will probably be:

-------------------Edu----------------------

---------Bradley---------Jones------------

Dempsey-------------------------Donovan

----------------Altidore--------------------

I'm confident with our left side recovering from their poor showing vs Ecuador and containing Dempsey,

Donovan vs our second or third tier lunchpailers on the right, I'm less sure about. Maybe the Kluka idea at RB wasn't a bad one, although I don't think you pull it out of your hat to try for the first time against perhaps the strongest competition in your regional tourney.

Altidore will cause a lot of headaches vs our slow and clumsy lumberjacks at CB. Fortunately he's not likely to be paired with a speed demon or we might be in a whole other pile of problems.

I see the US beating us, but I believe we will hold our own for much of the match. We will obviously be playing a lot of ball in midfield, with the 4-2-3-1 probably collapsing into a fairly static 4-5-1 against such a strong opponent.

Perhaps something like this, with a lot of guys willing to track back ( ie. not Dero, Friend). Lots I don't like with this line-up but best I can see with what's there.

I don't see how Gerba would get the right to walk straight back into the starting 11 after missing the last few key matches. Certainly couldn't help chemistry and morale.

Jackson

Simpson - Hutch - Johnson

de Guzman - Dunfield

de Jong - McKenna - Hainault - Ledgerwood

Borjan

Im so pumped for this game, and our boys want some serious payback from the 2007 gold cup robbery. Jackson via a Dunfield-esque screamer. But ill take a Simpson-esque goalmouth scramble vs honduras.

Beware Concacaf, Canada is for real. The recent results show that we can compete with top 50 teams of the World. Once Hart has our boys playing the patient posessional style game with better team defence look out. I am going to go out on a lim and predict Canada to win the Gold Cup. Yes I know all of you will think I am crazy and your probably right but Canada's results even though they were friendlies against top 40 teams make me think that a new champion is on it's way.

beware concacaf, canada is for real. The recent results show that we can compete with top 50 teams of the world. Once hart has our boys playing the patient posessional style game with better team defence look out. i am going to go out on a lim and predict canada to win the gold cup. yes i know all of you will think i am crazy and your probably right but canada's results even though they were friendlies against top 40 teams make me think that a new champion is on it's way.

crazy!

Beware Concacaf, Canada is for real. The recent results show that we can compete with top 50 teams of the World. Once Hart has our boys playing the patient posessional style game with better team defence look out. I am going to go out on a lim and predict Canada to win the Gold Cup. Yes I know all of you will think I am crazy and your probably right but Canada's results even though they were friendlies against top 40 teams make me think that a new champion is on it's way.

I'm a Canada fan as much as the rest, but you should lay off that pipe. ;)

i think i have to agree here. canada has a better formation and system and our players have been moving up the ranks (most of them) to a higher level while most of the usa players have been falling for quite some time. the usa is also feilding a team taht is almost idenical to a team that played 2, 4 and 6 years ago. they are aging. and canada has a much better mix of younger talent with veteran leadership in guys like mckenna and de rosario - who are still playing 90 mins.

this could be the year. another year where we can climb up the rankings, get some more respect on a worldly level and start our campaign for 2014 on the right leg!

lets go boys!

Our boys are going to want this match more than any other, there is no way the USA should match us for passion on the pitch Tuesday. This will be the most Canadian support ever at a Gold Cup match, versus our biggest rival, revenge, lookin to keep this form going and prove to the world who we are. This match is massive, a win here would be HUGE.

I'm going to predict a 1-1 draw, Dempsey scores late in the 1st half, they come close a couple times in the 2nd half, we are limited to a few corners as chances but then on the break De Ro scores a 30 yard screamer bar down in front of 118.

i think i have to agree here. canada has a better formation and system and our players have been moving up the ranks (most of them) to a higher level while most of the usa players have been falling for quite some time. the usa is also feilding a team taht is almost idenical to a team that played 2, 4 and 6 years ago. they are aging. and canada has a much better mix of younger talent with veteran leadership in guys like mckenna and de rosario - who are still playing 90 mins.

this could be the year. another year where we can climb up the rankings, get some more respect on a worldly level and start our campaign for 2014 on the right leg!

lets go boys!

With the exception of the goalkeepers and maybe one or two defenders, all of these players are in the prime of their career, still under the age of 30 and playing high level football.

On Twitter

Gavin Day

Dejan Jakovic back in Washington for hamstring treatment. Looking likely out for tournament with David Edgar to be called in. #canMNT

I would put Edgar straight into the starting 11. Although he would need some traning session with the team first He played 90 in Burnley's last match and was voted Man of the Match.

A win sure would be sweet. I would be probably need to be revived from shock. At this point I see a win as 10% possible. Draw maybe 30%. Maybe even 5 win 20 draw. This could change early in the game as I get more information about how they match up. Not far into the game I think I will know if Canada has a shot. If they can cope with the physical game of the USA ... USA tends to push weaker/smaller teams off the ball and it becomes an inevitability. Their physical presence can dominate. If Canada can cope with that they could have a shot. Are they fast enough? I really don't know. Need a little luck. Could USA come in over-confident? I'm hoping. Canada's due for some luck.

On Twitter

Gavin Day

Dejan Jakovic back in Washington for hamstring treatment. Looking likely out for tournament with David Edgar to be called in. #canMNT

I would put Edgar straight into the starting 11. Although he would need some traning session with the team first He played 90 in Burnley's last match and was voted Man of the Match.

Although I would start Hainault over Edgar against USA, he definitely needs to play during round-robin, just for the sake of cap-tie-ing him. Hart ain't going to make the same mistake that Mitchell did with Assmir Bego***** during WC 2008 QC.

1. Fun thread.

2. Yes, room for optimism re: the tournament, but not much in the first match.

3. I would NOT go so far as to assume Ledg and JDG are starting v. USA. I suspect Peters or Kluka start at RB, with Dunfield in DM.

4. Can we get a result against USA - most likely a draw? Yes. WILL we get a result? Most likely no. Will we score v. USA? Yes.

5. USA will defo come out overconfident against the Noisy Neighbour. We have nothing to lose and it should show in how we play - not dissimilar to Swiss v. England today.

6. No way Edgar starts v. USA ahead of Hainault or Kluka. Though he will play against Guad I'd imagine.

Guesstimate result? 1-2 USA. Goal by Hutch!

I can't decide what's better... Have Spain absolutely thrash the US in the hopes of them being demoralized and insecure going into our match, or have this game tighten up a little and give them a false sense of confidence for Tuesday...

I can't decide what's better... Have Spain absolutely thrash the US in the hopes of them being demoralized and insecure going into our match, or have this game tighten up a little and give them a false sense of confidence for Tuesday...

A Spanish beating on the US would be great if Canada can capitalize early. Score one in the first 10-15 minutes and they'll fold.

Archived