Who should start?

derofan

I will go with the same lineup I proposed prior to the Ecuador game, since nothing I saw live has changed my opinion.

-------Borjan------------

Ledgerwood---Hainault--McKenna--DeJong

-------Dunfield---------Johnson

DeRo-----Hutchinson------Simpson

-----------Jackson------------

Note: Rather Hume for DeRo, but he is not there.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I really despise this formation (4-5-1), and like to say that nothing interesting comes out of it, we get Dunfield's goal and a tie against Ecuador... So I guess I have to start liking it, because it apparently won't change anytime soon. What I'd love to see is Jackson - Ricketts or Jackson - Gerba in front in a 4-4-2.

4-4-2 isn't happening. The formation is done, and leaves your back 4 exposed as almost all opposition will play 4-3-3, or 4-4-2. The reason they get exposed is because is 2 CM in 4-4-2 are left marking 3, while the 4 defenders are left marking 3....time to move on from that formation.

4-4-2 isn't happening. The formation is done, and leaves your back 4 exposed as almost all opposition will play 4-3-3, or 4-4-2. The reason they get exposed is because is 2 CM in 4-4-2 are left marking 3, while the 4 defenders are left marking 3....time to move on from that formation.

As opposed to marking 2 and 4 respectively. Sorry there is no difference between the number of defensive repsonsibilities metered out in either formation.

GK: Milan's recent performances are really giving us pleasant options. I would be comfortable with either starting now. Still, I am a big Hirschfeld fan and think he commands the back-line with more authority.

DF: McKenna is the only shoe-in. With Jakovic likely out now, Hainault becomes his obvious partner. RB is probably a choice between better defending (Ledgerwood) or better attacking runs (Peters); I would go with Ledgerwood and keep Peters as a speedy sub. LB might be deJong's spot now that Klukowski hasn't played in a while, however, if both are game fit, I would still go with Mike.

Midfield Triangle: The question for me is whether you want deRosario in the hole or not. If so, then Hutchinson's partner would be a choice between W. Johnson or Dunfield (deGuzman is behind all of these guys to me). If dero isn't your choice, then you have Hutch with the two tireless engines in mid -- that would be fun to watch.

Wing: Simpson and Jackson are no-brainers, assuming the Jackson-up-front experiment is over. Hart often subs his wingers (to keep them fresh), so look for Peters, Issey and Ricketts to get regular second-half playing time.

TF: Hmm... Friend, Gerba or go back to Jackson? I'm really at a loss here. None really jump out at me. Given his surprising scoring rate -- Gerba will get a look but he is no shoe-in by any means; nor is Friend.

Hirschfeld

Ledgerwood - Hainault - McKenna - Klukowski

Dunfield - Hutchinson - W. Johnson

S. Jackson - Gerba??? - J. Simpson

------------------Borjan---------------------

Peters - Jackovic(?) - McKenna - De Jong

-------Dunfield----------De Guzman------

----------------Hutchinson----------------

De Ro (?) ------Jackson---------Simpson

(?) Jakovic: Hainault if he's hurt.

(?) De Ro: Hart has tried him out there and I think he should be on the field.

The plan would be to attack. A De Ro - Jackson - Simpson offensive front with those midfielders is the best we can bring offensively I think. Peters and De Jong to support the attack. Will Johnson can relieve the weaker of Dunfield/DeGuzman and Gerba can come on up front for De Ro, sliding Jackson over or straight on for Jackson. Peters possibly subbed off for Ledgerwood once we're up 3-0. :D

I still think we're pretty defensively sound here. I haven't bought into the De Guzman lost his spot nonsense and beside Dunfield can provide a solid back 6 in defense.

^ I've liked the last few lineup suggestions posted here. I'm genuinely puzzled about what Hart will do with the midfield 3. Personally, I don't feel like the combo of Dunfield/De Guzman/Hutchinson offers enough offensively. Swap Johnson for Dunfield or JDG and nothing really changes. I know we all like to think Hutchinson is a great attacking player, and he did get forward a fair bit when he played with Copenhagen, but that was mostly as a wide player.

As much as it pains me to say it, our best option might be De Ro in the central #10 role, as long as he can remember he has 10 teammates on the field. Then Hutchinson and one of JDG/Dunfield/Johnson as the 2 of the 4-2-3-1. The only problem that creates, of course, is what we had Wednesday: either Johnson is forced to play an uncomfortable position (attacking wide right), or we can't use Jackson up top, or we're forced to use one of the more marginal talents out wide.

But my thinking is that Hutchinson is our best player and along with Simpson and he should be played where he feels most comfortable. Going by his role in his very successful season this year with PSV, that spot is exactly where Hart has been playing him recently. As long as he is given the freedom to get forward occasionally, this is where his contribution will be maximized.

As much as it pains me to say it, our best option might be De Ro in the central #10 role, as long as he can remember he has 10 teammates on the field.

Despite the line-up that I posted (without deRosario), you may very well be correct here. deRosario played great against Greece but I didn't see much of him in the Ecuador game. Surprised that Pacheco didn't get a half in on Wednesday -- Hart seemed high on him during the Belarus match.

To me Gerba is a no-brainer (I'm not referring to his unimaginative passing abilities).

He is still the only front striker with a strike rate approaching respectable over both recent-ish national and club duty.

Friend continues to look slow and lost for Canada.

I'd love to see a front 6 of

-------Hutchinson------DeGuzman----------

Simpson ---------Dero-----------Jackson

--------------------Gerba-------------------

^^^Lurker's front-three would be fun to watch. No shortage of attacking speed there.

It's probably a pipe dream but I'd love to see us come out and put the US back on their heels. I don't think they'd expect it. We've got a tradition of bunkering down in these kinds of matches and hoping for a quick counter attack. Let's tip the field and let them know we mean business! Nobody is expecting 3 points so why fight so hard to protect 1?

Assuming Gerba is now with the team remember what Gerry said that Gerba was still in montreal awaiting medical clearence is he now with the team. I would not want to see friend start or be on the field in any way or form. He is by far the worst striker I have ever seen in a while he seems very nervous when the ball is in his possession and gives the ball away very easily.

To me Gerba is a no-brainer (I'm not referring to his unimaginative passing abilities).

He is still the only front striker with a strike rate approaching respectable over both recent-ish national and club duty.

Friend continues to look slow and lost for Canada.

I'd love to see a front 6 of

-------Hutchinson------DeGuzman----------

Simpson ---------Dero-----------Jackson

--------------------Gerba-------------------

I like the set up but why are we all stuck on having 2 d-mids in front of the back four? Hutch is a dynamo as a set up man and he can make runs to goal very effectively too.

why not...

---------Back Four--------

--------Deguzman--------

Simpson----------Jackson

-----------Hutch-----------

-----DeRo -----------------

-------------Gerba---------

I like the set up but why are we all stuck on having 2 d-mids in front of the back four? Hutch is a dynamo as a set up man and he can make runs to goal very effectively too.

why not...

---------Back Four--------

--------Deguzman--------

Simpson----------Jackson

-----------Hutch-----------

-----DeRo -----------------

-------------Gerba---------

"we" aren't stuck, Hart is

I'm just working with what we got ;)

I'm a huge DeGuzman fan, and I want to seem him start in the Gold Cup if only to prove me wrong... but watching that game against Ecuador I found myself thinking "My god, his legs are done" I don't know if it's his knees or what, but I hope I'm wrong. Watching him trying in vain to catch the Ecuadorian running towards goal before they scored their secend was pretty tough to take. He seemed so slow. Anyways hope he amazes in the tournament, because it would be sad to see the player who I beleive is the best Canada has ever produced be finished at such a relatively young age.

Gotta agree with Kusch on this one....I am pulling for JDG to be the man again because from a technical perspective Dunfield has nothing on him. But right now, Dunfield is in form, fit, desperate to achieve with Canada, and prepared to simply win the ball and distribute - and cover every blade of grass especially in the central channel. JDG just doesn't seem to have that right now and I want him to show that in the GC - especially in 2nd half. I believe he'll come on for last 30 in that game....

"we" aren't stuck, Hart is

I'm just working with what we got ;)

Agreed, Its just that I've watched (as Im sure you all have) every game that has been televised or webcast since the demolition in Buenos Aires and I have to say, it seemed to wake the boys up somewhat.

Don't get me wrong I'm under no illusions on how we place in this confederation but if we want to improve on the score sheet it has to start with the formation no?

If you walk like a duck, and quack like a duck, chances are you'll win some games and score more goals... at least in my fantasy.

Guys, stop looking past the 25-yard screaming from Dunfield and watch the game, he was actually REALLY bad in the centre of the park. A few really bad give aways, bad passes, he doesn't deserve the start.

I agree DeGuz has been poor as of late, and has done nothing to win the job

Totally agree with both sentiments. I wasn't sure what people were talking about re Dunfield's appearance.

Totally agree with both sentiments. I wasn't sure what people were talking about re Dunfield's appearance.

I remember complaining about him and then eating crow when he hit it, I didn't think he was all that impressive and if not for the strike below average but playing next to Hutch does that

Sorry but I have to challenge your and Sean assessment of Dunfield first half performance. I did the same exercice I did for the game against Greece. I look at our midfield trio (DeRo, Dunfield and Atiba) and counted the times they lost possession and when they won it. I also took a special look at Dunfield pass. Here's the breakdown:

Dunfield won the ball for us 5 times (add to that a goal) and had 1.5 giveaways. One was a pass to an offside position Jackson (that's a .5 because it's Jackson responsability to be onside and TBH I can live with that sort of loss of possession) and the other one was a bad pass to an injure Jakovic (almost resulted in a breakaway chance but Mckenna was there). All others pass he made (22) went on target (no ball out of the lines or for goal kicks).

Atiba won the ball once and lost it 4 times. I could've add a really bad play when he was acting as our last defender after a Canada CK and he went challenging in the midfield leaving a huge gap behind.

DeRo won it once and loss the ball twice.

I really don't know what game some of you watch wednesday but before he made that bad giveaway around the 37th min, Dunfield was excellent. His short passing game was superb and he help move the ball quickly around the midfield. No crazy long balls.

I'll complete the exercice by looking at the second half.

I really don't know what game some of you watch wednesday but before he made that bad giveaway around the 37th min, Dunfield was excellent. His short passing game was superb and he help move the ball quickly around the midfield. No crazy long balls.

Yeah I had the same impression of Dunfield's play, I thought he was very good in the passing game, patient and making good passes that left his teammate in a good situation to continue the build up. Atiba's stats are probably a result of trying to create, I thought he was excellent and I can remember at least a couple times where his defensive takeaway set up a chance for Canada.

Archived