FC Edmonton songbook: what piece of musical Canadiana could stand as "Walk on"

A) During the Minnesota game, nearby season ticket holders asked me to fashion a songbook. Any suggestions to flesh out a wee tome?

B) I've been researching Canadian songs for something that approaches the sensibilities of the Liverpudlians "walk on." Nothing piques me, yet. Any ideas? Then again, perhaps a new composition is warranted.

The ESG already has a few stables in its song book (we even have some original pieces for Toronto!) but nothing that hasn't been done before. I think that some of the songs have to be original, but having them in the club's first year may be a bit presumptious. Personally I'd like to see more people in the ESG section before we start creating songs for the whole stadium to sing. Lets encourage development of songs, but be aware that they might not catch on for several seasons. To my knowledge, Montreal and Vancouver don't have original songs yet!

The ESG already has a few stables in its song book (we even have some original pieces for Toronto!) but nothing that hasn't been done before. I think that some of the songs have to be original, but having them in the club's first year may be a bit presumptious. Personally I'd like to see more people in the ESG section before we start creating songs for the whole stadium to sing. Lets encourage development of songs, but be aware that they might not catch on for several seasons. To my knowledge, Montreal and Vancouver don't have original songs yet!

I concur with your suggestions and concerns on new tunes. Nonetheless, it's a good idea to encourage those who want to participate, so compiling some standards makes sense. Perhaps interested parties can share suggestions at sportscentral during the next away broadcast.

100% agree with you. Creativity should always be encouraged. Like I said, one of our own came up with a nice little ditty against Toronto on the spot. Great stuff.

I've been absent from the last few games at Sports Central. I'll have to make an effort to be there fore this next upcoming game (against Montreal I believe). I don't know if we have the songs that the ESG usually uses written down, but I can go over with whoever is there what we have!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mapleblood,

As for songs I have a suggestion. If the Piper shows up- as mentioned in the FCE v Tampa bay thread, and we change the world 'Old' for 'OIL'... would this song do as an anthem for starters?

Dirty Old Town ( The Pogues )

( Intro vers ) ( D )

G

I met my love by the gas works wall

Dreamed a dream by the old canal

I Kissed my girl by the factory wall

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

Clouds are drifting across the moon

Cats are prowling on their beat

Spring's a girl from the streets at night

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

( Solo vers ) ( C )

G

I Heard a siren from the docks

Saw a train set the night on fire

I Smelled the spring on the smoky wind

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

I'm gonna make me a big sharp axe

Shining steel tempered in the fire

I'll chop you down like an old dead tree

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

I kissed my girl by the factory wall

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

Hey Mapleblood,

As for songs I have a suggestion. If the Piper shows up- as mentioned in the FCE v Tampa bay thread, and we change the world 'Old' for 'OIL'... would this song do as an anthem for starters?

Dirty Old Town ( The Pogues )

( Intro vers ) ( D )

G

I Kissed my girl by the factory wall

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

Clouds are drifting across the moon

Cats are prowling on their beat

Spring's a girl from the streets at night

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

( Solo vers ) ( C )

G

I Heard a siren from the docks

Saw a train set the night on fire

I Smelled the spring on the smoky wind

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

I'm gonna make me a big sharp axe

Shining steel tempered in the fire

I'll chop you down like an old dead tree

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

I kissed my girl by the factory wall

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

Dirty old town

While we can sense the affection for the town implicit in the song, am I wrong to think that too many people will be triggered by the different sense of "dirty" that comes with "dirty oil?" Were it not with the tar sands implications, I think it could be great.

See you, and your clan, on Friday!

Archived