Edmonton climbs to 2nd with win over Minnesota

One of the things they need to be wary of though is pushing too much of the "local boy" angle is that a lot of the paying customers this year were playing against a lot of these boys last year... for free. It's a bit tricky to convince people they should pay to see other members of their peer group play.

Having said that, I totally agree that it's an important aspect. Creating the necessary community around the team is vital to their continued existence. I like that FCEd is tweeting "players of the day" because we need to see the players as human beings and understand the drama of their (team) lives.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the things they need to be wary of though is pushing too much of the "local boy" angle is that a lot of the paying customers this year were playing against a lot of these boys last year... for free. It's a bit tricky to convince people they should pay to see other members of their peer group play.

Having said that, I totally agree that it's an important aspect. Creating the necessary community around the team is vital to their continued existence. I like that FCEd is tweeting "players of the day" because we need to see the players as human beings and understand the drama of their (team) lives.

It didn't bother my son, in fact he was interested in seeing how guys he had played against stood up as pros.

That's good... I did hear some grumbling last year, but perhaps the more authentic league atmosphere this year has toned it down a bit. Either way, this is a disappearing "issue" because as the team grows more established, people will start to feel the "local boy makes good" thing more strongly. I've already seen quite a few tweets to that effect about Craig, "PEI boy makes us proud", so I think you're right - I just don't think that it should be a major marketing tactic just yet is all.

I could see that if they were losing. Right now they're second in the league, and having success, so it should work the other way around. "Wow, maybe the calibre of play at the senior amateur level isn't that bad" sort of thing.

In 1992 or 1993 a team of local amateur all-stars beat Dundee United FC in a Victoria tourament. The best senior Canadian amateurs would all be getting paid if Canada had a pro a semi-pro network like Europe does. Cheers.

Maybe the fact that the FCE reserves are playing Against the Top level amatures in Alberta, is a sign of due deference and respect.

A kind of, "We need you to help us improve strengthen and Progress," attitude to the system that generated 80% of Edmontons roster can only be a positive thing right?

Archived