Edmonton climbs to 2nd with win over Minnesota

Minnesota and Edmonton stood toe-to-toe in a hard fought, fast-paced, well-played exhibition of top-class NASL football. Both sides were dangerous. The game was lush with wondeful, multiply overlapping runs. The passing was crisp and tight. The defences were stalwart. Edmonton won 2-1.

The referees performance mirrored that of the players. He had his finger on the pulse of the game and, following the Hippocratic oath, he did not harm the patient by his actions.

Now that the gut-churning intensity is over, I can say that the game was fun. Hats off to the Faths, for bringing a beautiful version of the beautiful game to Edmonton.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't go quite as far in praising the beauty of the ninety minutes. Both Edmonton and Minnesota misplayed a number of passes through the middle that should have been much-better executed. There were some pretty mediocre plays at the back and up front for both teams as well. But, for sure, neither of them looked really bad and I didn't leave the game thinking less of the teams than I did going into it.

Well-deserved result for the Eddies, too. Kyle Porter's goals were both opportunistic but he took them in style: slicing a rebound from a Kyle Yamada shot past Van Oekel slightly off-balance and at a tricky angle, then juggling the ball from right to left after collection another rebound, getting around his very well-positioned defender, and left-footing the shot home. It was a relief to say Rein Baart play very strongly.

The game was not without its warts, as you note, but the NASL is not the Premiereship ;). My comment on beauty relates to the general tenure of the game, not the entire body of work. Given that the beauty is a matter of design, not accident, I thought it worth praise and encouragement.

Cheers.

The game was not without its warts, as you note, but the NASL is not the Premiereship ;). My comment on beauty relates to the general tenure of the game, not the entire body of work. Given that the beauty is a matter of design, not accident, I thought it worth praise and encouragement.

Cheers.

Well, I missed this one, but it sounds like it was a pretty good show. I thought it was only a matter of time before Porter registered on the scoresheet. Apart from the debacle vs. Montreal, this squad hasn't looked overmatched in the league at all. Much better than expected from an "expansion" side. I wish the media would focus on that more. On the weekend I read another piece from Terry Jones harping about how much money the Fath Group has spent (this article focused on advertising). On the whole the article has some valid points, but Jones, in particular, needs to find a new angle from which to cover this club.

I'm looking forward to watching the Eddies down at Foote this summer - sun shining down, beer in one hand, waving an Eddies scarf with the other! "Well done" to the fans who showed up under the grey skies.

Article in question: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/05/22/signs-signs-everywhere-an-fce-sign

On the weekend I read another piece from Terry Jones harping about how much money the Fath Group has spent (this article focused on advertising). On the whole the article has some valid points, but Jones, in particular, needs to find a new angle from which to cover this club.

Article in question: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/05/22/signs-signs-everywhere-an-fce-sign

It's too bad they're criticised for spending money on advertising, because you can be sure they would be criticised if they weren't. That said, I agree with the author that targeting non-English speaking minorities is an inefficient use of advertising money in Canadian professional soccer. The demographic upon which FC Edmonton will either succeed or fail is English-speaking males 20-40 who are either Canadian born, or consider themselves "Canadian-first".

Once you attract the vital market of young males, then you can go after women, older people, families, and non-English speakers. But families are also a minefield: if you target "soccer mums" and market "family entertainment" then you will lose the core audience of young single males (or married ones out with their buddies), upon which all sports teams initially must rely. The other thing that never works is "ethnic" days. The only thing that works is focussing on the sport itself, and making the players and the team relevant to the city's identity and psyche.

I've found pictures but no highlights of the game. I thought the NASL site was upping those as they were streaming the game anyway. I missed watching it, been battling an allergy-induced cold, so I'm disappointed to hear I missed a great game.

It's too bad they're criticised for spending money on advertising, because you can be sure they would be criticised if they weren't. That said, I agree with the author that targeting non-English speaking minorities is an inefficient use of advertising money in Canadian professional soccer. The demographic upon which FC Edmonton will either succeed or fail is English-speaking males 20-40 who are either Canadian born, or consider themselves "Canadian-first".

Once you attract the vital market of young males, then you can go after women, older people, families, and non-English speakers. But families are also a minefield: if you target "soccer mums" and market "family entertainment" then you will lose the core audience of young single males (or married ones out with their buddies), upon which all sports teams initially must rely. The other thing that never works is "ethnic" days. The only thing that works is focussing on the sport itself, and making the players and the team relevant to the city's identity and psyche.

I've gotta disagree with ya. These ads have been placed in areas that have a high concentration of that minority, and honestly as an Canadian fan, I think that it still works. I think that having any kind of ad up increases awareness and intrest. If someone sees the ad, with the website at the bottom, and is curious, they'll go home, look it up and learn about the team that way. Additionally, there has been a lot of ads on buses and the train, which I believe has worked well. I would still like to see more ads up on University campus's and a college corner kind of idea, but I'll settle for what there is this year.

The articles from Terry Jones... I haven't read the most recent, but they all appear to be very negative about the team... Which is odd, because there is also some very positive articles coming from the Edmonton Sun about the team. Terry seems very hung up on the money issue. First it was "oh man they spent so much money last year, they're doomed to failure!", and now since that didn't get any attention and the club has put on several home games to some success, its become "oh man, they're spending so much on advertising, they're doomed to failure!".

I'm of the opinion that getting the name out there to anyone, in any way is positive. Plus the new GM talking about a stadium is also super positive.

I've found pictures but no highlights of the game. I thought the NASL site was upping those as they were streaming the game anyway. I missed watching it, been battling an allergy-induced cold, so I'm disappointed to hear I missed a great game.

Highlights seem to appear within a few days. There is a fan posting them to the FC Edmonton page. Also, this game should be shown on Shaw TV on Saturday (at around 1pm).

Yeah, I agree with you on that. I hope the owners don't place too much emphasis on winning over the the elusive "ethnic" fan. This is the sort of thing that TFC has avoided and benefited from. I can see the temptation though and I think that it represents a failsafe from a marketing perspective. The logic goes: football is the world's most popular sport (therefore) our city's foreign-born population surely love the game (therefore) those people are our target market.

In the same way there is often an assumption that the product should be geared towards moms and kids b/c football is the most popular participation sport at the youth level. In reality, connecting with the male, 18-35 year-old demographic would be a better foundation on which to build a passionate fanbase, for a number of reasons (disposable time & money, more likely to show up to watch a late-evening match on a schoolnight). We know that a football match must be a place where all are welcome (ladies, kids, people of all culture's and creeds), but if the target market is too peripheral, it becomes easier to miss and not register with the mainstream at all. For the record, I don't really have a problem with multi-lingual ads, but the journo spins it so that I can understand his perspective.

It would be funny if the Eddies' front office actually sat down with Jonesy and let him vent and voice his concerns. Who knows, maybe he'd stop bringing up petty stuff if the club listened to him - for example, his point about having a children's supporters club seated on the grassy hill (sounds like a good idea).

I've been saying this for month's... Terry Jones needs to get a new angle. His tired cheap shots about how much money the Fath group is spending does nothing but detract from the real story. If ALL they had were foreign language adverts, that'd be one thing... but making the ethnic communities feel like they're a part of the city and thus the team is a great idea IMHO.

Having said that, I agree 100% with EDM Rover in regards to the demographic - it's absolutely got to be the 18-35 year-old male. We sat down with some members of the previous FCE front office regime and tried to explain this to them. Kids play recreational soccer but getting them out to the games does not ensure brand loyalty. Kids cheer for teams because their moms and dads cheer for them. It's part of their community and you need to build it that way. Soccer coaches and "soccer moms" (to which group my uncle belongs) only bring kids out to the games to "show them how the big kids play". It's part of the recreational aspects of the game... but it doesn't have any longer connections with staying power.

How you build real life-long fans is by converting someone like ForeverThursday by getting them to embrace the sports fan culture... and then they bring their sons in baby-carriers to the games. Those are the links that you can build success on.

I have to admit, Terry Jones's article made me chuckle. Maybe the fact that he, an older white guy, was writing the article at all should have clued him in: this isn't advertising that's just going to reach "ethnic" types. It's unique in Edmonton. It's utterly innovative in Canadian soccer. It's very professionally done. And you'll notice that, at the bottom where the club information and the web address is, that bit's in English.

When I was in the Commonwealth press box for the Toronto FC game, a bunch of local writers (white guys all!) were talking about these foreign-language ads that they'd heard about. It got their attention even though they weren't the target market. If the ads reach the non-Anglophone communities in Edmonton then that's great, but even if they don't people are talking about FC Edmonton because the billboards got their attention. Job done.

Was a good game - with few chances but we put 'em away. Too many long balls from both teams - especially the other guys - not sure on the crowd ? 1500-ish?

Baart was solid - Saiko dynamic - and Hamilton steady. Did expect us to win but for a new team we sure have settled well into this league.

If everyone who was there brings a friend next time....

"When I was in the Commonwealth press box for the Toronto FC game, a bunch of local writers (white guys all!) were talking about these foreign-language ads that they'd heard about. It got their attention even though they weren't the target market. If the ads reach the non-Anglophone communities in Edmonton then that's great, but even if they don't people are talking about FC Edmonton because the billboards got their attention. Job done. "

Totally agree.

As an analogy to FCE's situation. I feel its similar to the way certain Books, fail as movies.

Anthony Horowitz's novels about Alex Ryder a 14 year old Secret Agent, sold in their G'zillions: But the Movie Stormchaser died on its arse.

The Studio/Producers convince Horowitz (with the promise of opening on 300 screens) to move against his core audience of 13-15 year olds, and write a script for the 10-12 year old age bracket. The Studios reasoning was that 10-12 year olds, unlike 13-15 year olds who can get to the movie theatre on their own, have to bet taken to the movies by Mom and Dad, so they (the studio) could double the box office.

But Horowitz, in trying to write for this demograph and please the Studio, ended up with a product that lost all the menace and threat that was in the original text and lacked originality, excitement, and believability. In the End the movie was a flat product that opened on only 30 screens.

Ergo, panic marketing and running after the Family Van Load to try and fill seats is not necessary your Best solution. The Audience needs to be 'clued up' enough to enhance the experience. Overtly juvenile pitching and the 15-40 year olds will run a mile; and no one will be their to buy BEER,

I have faith that the New GM knows all of this and will steer a steady ship.

All that been said; watching the cut aways of the dads with their young'uns in "THEIR TEAMS" new jerseys; totally engaged with the lads on the field toiling away in the wind and rain to gain their first home win of the season, felt totally real.

A small crowd yes but a proper atmosphere seemed to be brewing here.

Only wish the setting was more appropriate.

I don't know how many Slave Lakers turned up but find it a shame that in all of Terry's Rumminations he forgot to mention that of all the sporting groups in Town FC Edmonton appear to be the first (only?) to offer their 'product' to the dislocated of that town. If I'm wrong on this then i'll apologise.

Dismissing the 'ethnic dollar' as not intrested IMO seems short sighted to me. Anyone seen the makeup of Arsenals fanbase these days?

I heard 2200 were sold. It would be nice if they were all season tickets and the 1500 were all GA walk up.

That would be over capacity!

## Just read this in the SUN.

"The FC Edmonton striker scored two goals, helping his club earn its first home victory of the season by edging the visiting NSC Minnesota Stars 2-1 in front of an announced paid attendance of 2,260 at Foote Field."

Must have been hidding in the YELLOW END ZONES LOL

There was not even close to 2200 there last night. There may have been that many paid, but not there. Not worried though. My bro-in-law was up from red deer and wants to come back for the next weekend home game. The new scarves were selling well, and all the new merch was there and looking good. There were hiccups, but the announcing seemed better (aside from some cutting out during the anthems) and personal seemed more sure of themselves. It was smoother than against Montreal, and a million times better than vs Toronto. I'm looking forward to some of the nice afternoon games in the middle of summer when the field will be packed. Should be a great atmosphere if yesterday was any indication.

I'm one of the "paid but didn't show" part of those attendance figures. I had my ticket in my hot little hand, but at the last minute I had to chose between what I wanted to do (go to the game) and what I should do (stay home and take care of my son while my wife was feeling sick)... I was glad to add to the attendance figure, it was worth the price just to be part of it from my living room. You guys did a great job though, I saw the new scarves and was so jealous. That dark blue is the colour scheme they should be going for.

If the ads reach the non-Anglophone communities in Edmonton then that's great, but even if they don't people are talking about FC Edmonton because the billboards got their attention. Job done.

Very good point Lord Bob. I'm really not sure what Terry Jones' hang up is though, he seems hell bent on handing out backhanded compliments to the team at every turn... when he isn't being outright rude and obnoxious.

...The demographic upon which FC Edmonton will either succeed or fail is English-speaking males 20-40 who are either Canadian born, or consider themselves "Canadian-first"...

Because that kind of thing worked so well for the Drillers, Eagles, Brickmen and Aviators? That demographic still tends to gravitate towards the NHL, CFL and even indoor lacrosse before paying any attention to soccer. There are exceptions but that's the norm because although the mainstream demographic might play soccer recreationally these days due to the youth soccer registration boom of the the 90s that still doesn't automatically translate into spectator interest.

Being taken seriously by the people, who are most passionate about the sport is the key to getting what is still a marginal minor league product in entertainment terms up to a sustainable break even level in economic terms. That still tends to be people born overseas and the second generation that are still reasonably close to their ancestral culture. Once the foundation is in place with the hardcore of the soccer community on that basis and there is an SSS in place that is actually a suitable venue for the sport it will be time for FC Edmonton to think about going after the mainstream demographic to a greater extent if MLS is on the agenda long term.

Beyond that somebody maybe needs to explain to Terry Jones that FC Edmonton are simply copying a lot of what TFC did with this approach. In a Toronto context the slogan used was "All for One" rather than "Stand United".

Three thoughts in point form:

In 2006, people of European ethnicities formed the largest cluster of ethnic groups in Edmonton, mostly of English, Scottish, German, Irish, Ukrainian, and French origin...Edmonton was 71.8% White and 5.3% Aboriginal, while visible minorities accounted for 22.9% of the population.
from http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Edmonton

Trying to build/attract a fan base in today's EDM requires casting a wide net at the same time as targeting specific soccer/sport interested groups. All the Scottish coaches I had growing up are probably grandfathers now... they should be there with their grandkids. (The voice of one still rings in my ears all these years later reminding me to "tighten yer boots b'fer ya leave the 'ouse!")

• There are mentions around the interwebs of an FCE reserve squad (Chris Lemire was injured in the game vs. Calgary Callies). What is this team? Who is on it? And in what league do they play (if any)? A reserve team is a must and I'm interested to know who gets playing time.

from http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Edmonton

Trying to build/attract a fan base in today's EDM requires casting a wide net at the same time as targeting specific soccer/sport interested groups. All the Scottish coaches I had growing up are probably grandfathers now... they should be there with their grandkids. (The voice of one still rings in my ears all these years later reminding me to "tighten yer boots b'fer ya leave the 'ouse!")

• There are mentions around the interwebs of an FCE reserve squad (Chris Lemire was injured in the game vs. Calgary Callies). What is this team? Who is on it? And in what league do they play (if any)? A reserve team is a must and I'm interested to know who gets playing time.

Here is their exhibition schedule:

http://gw.itsportsnet.com/league.php?scriptName=TEAMSCHEDULE&divisionID=79417&leagueID=5723&seasonID=8699&sportID=1&teamID=402931

There are mentions around the interwebs of an FCE reserve squad (Chris Lemire was injured in the game vs. Calgary Callies). What is this team? Who is on it? And in what league do they play (if any)? A reserve team is a must and I'm interested to know who gets playing time.

there have been rumours and unofficial talks about the reserve squad for quite awhile now (since late last year to my recollection). I'm glad that they're finally coming out with the fact that they have a reserve squad, and that they are making a serious effort to be as pro as possible.

I like the fact that its playing in the AMSL.

Strengthens the connection with local Alberta soccer.

+1!

BTW, AMSL breakdown: Edmonton 4 teams (+ FCE Reserves = 5), Calgary 3, Lethbridge 1. The epicenter of footie appears to be in the capital (at least on the Men's side).

Archived