May 22, 2011--W League Toronto Lady Lynx vs Rochester Ravens

Result of the Sunday May 22, 2011 W-League game between Toronto Lady Lynx and Rochester Ravens played at The Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan at 1:00pm.

10 min...Ravens Chelsea Kuss GOAL...RR Brianna Tata 50 yard freekick from left has Kuss knock ball down at 15 yards and slide 12 yard ball under charging goalie Victoria Mucilli at 8 yards.

43 min...Ravens Chelsea Kuss GOAL...RR Haley Marks and Kuss are on a 2 on 2 break and TLL Shannen Jainudeen gets in sliding tackle to stop run but only partially stops ball and Marks rolls ball forward for Kuss to poke 8 yarder up middle into right side of open net.

48 min...Lady Lynx Kodee Williams GOAL...TLL Kinley McNicol crosses from 30 yards on left that finds charging Williams ton one-touch poke 6 yarder to right corner of net past goalie Jessica Dulski.

Final Score:.......Toronto Lady Lynx........1............Rochester Ravens...........2.........

Attendance was about 80 on this mild overcast afternoon with a light rain starting at game time and it getting harder at about 30 minutes until the rain stopped and the sun came out at about the 60 minute mark.

Referee Rami Arbaji had a very quiet game with only one card given out today.

The Lady Lynx have gotten off to slow starts in previous seasons but always had lots of chances and just couldn't finish. This game they didn't have many chances at all. Their only other good chance was at 52 minutes when Meg Raucher got away on a breakaway but goalie Jessica Dulski swatted away a ball at 10 yards (very similar to the save Toronto FC's Stefan Frei made in the game against Chicago which won him the MLS save of the week). There's been a big change over of players. Best player I thought was Kinley McNicol for her crosses of cornerkicks and freekicks. The defence was competent and most Ravens shots were from outside the box and caught by the goalie. Goalie Victoria Mucilli also was not afraid to come to the edge or outside the box to make clearances. Head coach again this year is Danny Stewart.

Their next game is on Wednesday May 25th at 2:00pm for a special School Day game (doubleheader with Toronto Lynx playing at 11:00am) against Hamilton. This was the only time this season that the two Lynx teams play home games anywhere else but Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke. Today the men's team played later in the afternoon and lost to FC London 1-0.

This was the first game of the season also for the Ravens. Their record last year was only 2-9-1 so this is a great start to this season. The team now wears amber coloured uniforms so look much like a Kodak film box (not an owner of the team but is the city is the international home for the corporation). They share their stadium with the Western New York Flash of the WPS League. Canadian international players Christine Sinclair, Christine Chapman, and Kelly Parker and Brazilian international Marta play for that team and drew over 8000 fans later this night in a home game against magicJack 3-0.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

excerpt from an old Rocket Robin...post

"

I wasn't all alone among Canadian media in the pressbox but I may have been the loudest when the Lynx scored their second. I was disgusted to see Mehrdad of the CSA all decked out in his Iran 98 soccer jersey but I didn't see him after the game.

A bit of horn honking after the game by Iranian fans but I countered by pointing at my Lynx t shirt."

My question is Where is Mehrdad..... today, used to be fun to see his Iranian Gear in the Soccer Mansion on Metcalfe.

Not a major league start for the LL and doesn't sound like much of one for the fans either. Noticed Leon and Cameron on the team list but not the gamesheet, they'll help if they arrive. If the Ravens are gamey this year it will be a much more interesting division. Rochester is home to Ottawa on the weekend and we'll get a better idea of the state of things.

lunx.jpg

Archived