Meet up thread for Women's World Cup Canadian Supporters

Trillium

This is a thread to set meet up locations pre game for WWC games involving Canada, and the place you can post if your going to the the WWC in Germany.

I am going and will fly out of Newark NJ on Iceland Express ( return flight fare under $800.00 but you go to Iceland first ).... 22 June with arrival in Frankfurt on the 23 and a quick ( 75.00 dollar flight ) on Berlin air to Berlin

I will be staying at Paula's Comfy Little Corner ( http://paulascomfycorner.com ), who will not be supporting Germany ( you can get a bed for under 18 euros or a private room at 45 euros access to kitchen etc.

Another good option for hotel http://www.amber-hotels.de/en/hotel-berlin little closer to the olympic stadia and better for those not very experience in travel think nice economy hotel around 60 euros near june 26th.

The area around the stadia appears not to have to many bars... one that turns up is called ;

Bel Ami

Flatower Straße 14, 13589 Berlin, Germany

+49 30/3044712 ‎

which should probably be struck off any list of pre meet up bars for a WWC game, sorry Grizzly, but they do describe them selves as the Embassy of Love, so who knows.

The most likely appears to be :

Pilsstübchen

Angerburger Allee 39, 14055 Berlin, Germany

+49 30/3057697

walking distance to stadia, from the lack of info on the net probably local, quiet... place to have beer before the game.

Hopefully someone with more intimate knowledge of Berlin can come up with a good option.

"Historians attribute the success of the Canadian Corps in capturing the ridge [Vimy] to a mixture of technical and tactical innovation, meticulous planning, powerful artillery support, and extensive training, as well as the failure of the German Sixth Army to properly apply the German defensive doctrine."

We have the mixture of technical and tactical innovation, the meticulous planning, and the extensive training. And it's also very possible that stifled long enough in front of 70K über alles the Germans fail to properly apply their defensive doctrine. That makes you the powerful artillery support.

Not sure what would be the most effective, but I presume the staple Central American bag of urine against the chainlink fence is probably out of the question.

"Historians attribute the success of the Canadian Corps in capturing the ridge [Vimy] to a mixture of technical and tactical innovation, meticulous planning, powerful artillery support, and extensive training, as well as the failure of the German Sixth Army to properly apply the German defensive doctrine."

We have the mixture of technical and tactical innovation, the meticulous planning, and the extensive training. And it's also very possible that stifled long enough in front of 70K über alles the Germans fail to properly apply their defensive doctrine. That makes you the powerful artillery support.

Not sure what would be the most effective, but I presume the staple Central American bag of urine against the chainlink fence is probably out of the question.

First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin....

Too bad the CSA had not invited Leonard Cohen to do the National anthem, but hey ... maybe the boys in the blazers are not

ready for big time sport, but the women are ....so your right Vic they may just be a big surprise, but lets not tell the Germans okay !!!

Frankfurt is really doing it up. The fan park is going to be amazing. All the 2015 host cities should be sending someone over to get a taste of it so when our time comes we're even better.

http://fifafrauenwm2011.frankfurt.de

Vic....

I am going on my own nickel cause the city and the CSA and the OSA just dont get you have to see it from the fan perspective, the last U20 was a top down direction from the FIFA boys and the CSA fails to say hey...we have locals with skills who can do this.... and perhaps better.

We proposed all sorts of stuff but it was shot down... the end thing of a sad u20 fan zone with Hyundai.. organised by CSA and FIFA was .. just that sad.

So please dont get me going... in this thread..its for meet ups.. having a good time hosting a beer or two.

Rant over...

First we take Berlin...then Bochum then Dresden....then Frankfurt !!!

I'm still so damn jealous that you're going to Germany. Take me with you, Trillium! I'm small enough to fit in suitcases. Just pack me some food and a bottle of water for the flight and we're good to go. Scratch that, if you take me I'll provide my own food and beverage!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still so damn jealous that you're going to Germany. Take me with you, Trillium! I'm small enough to fit in suitcases. Just pack me some food and a bottle of water for the flight and we're good to go. Scratch that, if you take me I'll provide my own food and beverage!

It gets pretty cold in the luggage compartment on Iceland Air...but hey dress warm and you can go in the hockey bag.

Hopefully anyone going to Germany will get on this forum thread and we can have a good meet up in Berlin to start.

Pub in Toronto? You should be joining Trillium and myself in Berlin next Sunday. I still have an extra ticket for the game

Few of us ladies from Twitter are getting together for the opening match. Pub yet to be decided but if any of you live in Toronto, you are welcomed to join.

With like 200$ in my back account it's not possible. Trust me, if I could I'd be in Germany in a heart beat! Would love nothing more than to watch our ladies play live...at the World Cup. Have extra fun for us who can't make it. Enjoy it to the fullest!

Hello!

I'm from CBC news Toronto. We are looking for anyone who will be going to Germany for the Women's World Cup. I would love to speak to you. From this thread I see Trillium and hawk99 will be going to Germany? Anyone else?

Also I would love to know where you are meeting up to watch the games!

Please contact me as soon as possible with your contact information.

arda.zakarian@cbc.ca

Thank you so much!

Arda

Long time viewer of the forums, first time contributor. In Berlin since June 23rd and today I did the reconnaisance of the Olympia Stadion area including the Pilsstubchen that Trillium mentioned. Not sure if any of the others that are here have checked it out but you may find it a bit underwhelming. Kind of authentic even though it is in sort of a strip mall but very small, seating for 12 outside and approximately 18 inside. In addition, on Sunday it does not open until 16:00 and closes at 20:00, so a little late for pregame and useless for after game. And yes, I asked if they were planning anything special for tomorrow, like extended hours, and the answer is no it's just a regular Sunday to them.

You should also know that if you still plan on going there, you should take either the S-Bahn S3 or S75 from the central part of Berlin heading west and get off at the stop after Olympia Stadion which is callled Pichelsberg. After these discoveries we did a little bit of scouting for options and came up with one other one accessible from that same train stop which is south and is: Tiroler Bauernstuben, Heerstrasse 137, 14055 Berlin Tel# 030-30099466. It is an Austrian style restaurant, a bit more upscale inside than the usual sports pub but it has a fairly large outdoor Biergarten which looks and feels like the real deal but is obviously not ideal if there is rain.

An even more authentic place, that is the real deal, is accessible from the actual Olympia Stadion S-Bahn station and is called the Preussiches Landswirthaus. This is located about 2 blocks south from the South stadium entrance at the corner of Scottweg and Flatowallee, Tel# 0304 4023. This place has both indoor and outdoor seating, food smells good and it opens at 12:00. There is of course a very high probability that this place will be packed to the rafters due to it's proximity to the stadium and you could end up SOL unless you are there early.

I talked to a couple of people working the South gate who advised me that the stadium gates will open at 15:00 and that there will be a Biergarten on site but I did not follow up on the details of whether it is inside the stadium or on the surrounding grounds. At any rate there are two of us interested in joining up with the Canuck contingent and would appreciate a post or message advising where the rest of you do end up going for the pregame and when you think you will arrive. Until tomorrow then, Allez Les Rouges!!

At least there'll be three of us there! I'm at Paula's Comfy Corner as well.

And thanks to Hawk's extra ticket, I'll be there as well... just getting reading to leave to go meet him now, actually, and give him a tour of the city :D

Still have no idea where the planned meeting point is for pre-game. If the planned place sucks, then it's easy enough to jump on the train for a few stations to a local pub.

8:46 Sunday morning.... Berlin time

An even more authentic place, that is the real deal, is accessible from the actual Olympia Stadion S-Bahn station and is called the

Preussiches Landswirthaus. This is located about 2 blocks south from the South stadium entrance at the corner of Scottweg and Flatowallee, Tel# 0304 4023.

This place has both indoor and outdoor seating, food smells good and it opens at 12:00. There is of course a very high probability that this place will be packed to the rafters due to it's proximity to the stadium and you could end up SOL unless you are there early.

I will be there near noon... the Ravens have just woken me with there calls as rise up from the events of St. Christopher Day..... they sell caiprinha's on the street... a very very dangerous thing.

I will bring two banners to the Preussiches Landswirthaus, hopefully folks will be able to see them I will be in red Voayaguers Tee.. which seems to be distinctive enough to stand out in a crowd.

First we take Berlin.....

This sounds like a good plan, we will make our way there as well but not as early as you. I will be wearing the white Adidas jersey from the former kit and will be toting the Go Canada Go cowbell made somewhat famous at the 2010 Olympics. I picked up a local SIM card for my cell phone so if the location changes it would be much appreciated if some one would drop me a quick call at 01578-3885093 and ask for Johnny Canuck.

Too funny about the Christopher Street parade!!! The parade route passed right in front of my hotel room window, which was an unplanned coincidence, and I too heeded the call of caiprinhas, proseco on ice, beer and bratwurst all by early afternoon. What a gong show that was, but in a good way.

Archived