Media Coverage of Whitecaps in Vancouver

TT5

I'm a big Whitecaps fan and have to admit I am thoroughly impressed with what I am seeing from the media in terms of coverage of the Vancouver Whitecaps this season. TEAM 1040/1410 is doing an impressive job with all their coverage. The Province and Sun are doing a good job. Sportsnet has been doing games, but I'm not a fan of their choice of commentators just yet. Overall though, I've been really blown away. Happy to see all of it.

What do you guys think? Does Toronto have anything like it? More or Less?

I'm a big Whitecaps fan and have to admit I am thoroughly impressed with what I am seeing from the media in terms of coverage of the Vancouver Whitecaps this season. TEAM 1040/1410 is doing an impressive job with all their coverage. The Province and Sun are doing a good job. Sportsnet has been doing games, but I'm not a fan of their choice of commentators just yet. Overall though, I've been really blown away. Happy to see all of it.

Hi TT5. I'm on Vancouver Island, so can't answer from a Toronto perspective. I can say though that I really notice the "TFC" baseball caps and t-shirts when I've flown out east in the last few years every summer.

One thing to remember is that Bell also owns the Team radio station, so their creation of a Whitecaps daily show is more about growing awareness for the team and their sponsorship of it than providing coverage. That said I appreciate it, listen reguarly, and go scan the podcasts of many episodes I don't listen to live. Schad has a lot to say, though he's always a bit stilted on the radio. Tyler Green is smoother, but seems to have less to say, if that makes sense.

However, Bell can't own both the Sun and Province, who are both doing a good job of covering the team. As well they should: sports media is dependent upon sports teams and leagues, and cultivating interest in them.

I have to admit that I'm minding Craig McEwan less (though he needs to drop the "into the mixer" thing). Is he getting better? I don't know, maybe I'm just more used to him now. Unfortunately, Martin Nash is not getting better (yet?). He should be past his stage fright by now, but maybe he's just not a gregarious guy (like his brother, whom I've met, and his father, whom I have talked to many times).

That said, I never understood the criticism that Gerry Dobson gets - he is well spoken, doesn't stutter or get lost for words much, and clearly knows and enjoys the game. It took Craig Forrest a while to get comfortable in front of the camera. Jason de Vos was pretty quickly comfortable, and he really knows his game tactics. And I don't mind either Nigel nor the other Englishman who has done broadcasts this season, and who people were criticising. Cheers.

Coverage in Toronto was roughly the same in the first year. TFC's a fixture here for the most part now, but it's still relegated to the middle or back of the sports sections unless something major happens.

The only problem (awareness-wise) is TFC's being on GolTV 21 times tihis year. There is obviously ciorporate synergy there, but IMO the TFC games get hidden when too many games are on Gol.

That said, I think Gol does a fantastic job on their broadcasts, and will rate even higher once they manage to get their HD broadcasts picked up by the carriers, but it's very much a "preaching to the choir" deal with Gol when I think TFC is still not strong enough a "brand" to put on a digital specialty channel.

Are the 21 games on Gol due to MLSE wanting to keep them there for the benefit of the channel? Or is it a lack of interest from mainstream outlets due to poor ratings?

Have to imagine its for the interests of Gol TV, for example i think the LA game a few weeks back was only on Gol TV

I have to admit, the Sportsnet guys were a bit embarrassing at first, but Mac has grown on me a bit and Martin Nash does offer keen football insight on tactics and the happenings on game play when hes not struggling to find the words. It will take time for them to gel and come around, the good thing is its getting much better every week.

As far as the overall coverage is concerned, I know the FO would like to be more mainstream but who wouldn't. From dealing with the marketing staff personally and on a daily basis I can tell you that although they do have a wealth of talent from the top level Marketing all the way down to the folks that sell tickets, the fact is that some if not most are not "soccer people". That being said they still have lots to learn about connecting with the fan base and the local media per say, but its coming along nicely as well. I give it an A+ for the first part of the season, the Whitecaps are definitely on peoples minds here in the lower mainland.

If the Whitecaps fever persists over the next two or three seasons then we will all see a market shift in the coverage across Canada with Montreal moving in and all three teams battling each other on the pitch and in the mainstream media, at least that's the hope.

That said, I think Gol does a fantastic job on their broadcasts, and will rate even higher once they manage to get their HD broadcasts picked up by the carriers, but it's very much a "preaching to the choir" deal with Gol when I think TFC is still not strong enough a "brand" to put on a digital specialty channel.

Gol has a good (and improving pbp guy) in Wileman. I would like to see a better use of video to analyze particular plays, especially at halftime. I thought De Vos was developing into a good analyst, pointing out player positioning and decision making issues for particular instances and then making some suggestions for tactical adjustments for the second half. That seems to be absent from the current broadcasts.

Gol has a good (and improving pbp guy) in Wileman. I would like to see a better use of video to analyze particular plays, especially at halftime. I thought De Vos was developing into a good analyst, pointing out player positioning and decision making issues for particular instances and then making some suggestions for tactical adjustments for the second half. That seems to be absent from the current broadcasts.

De Vos has a LOT of commentary on tactics and players. He can't be getting it all from someone else, and I doubt he makes it all up. He would be worth talking to as a potential coach . . .

De Vos has a LOT of commentary on tactics and players. He can't be getting it all from someone else, and I doubt he makes it all up. He would be worth talking to as a potential coach . . .

Centre Backs man, they always seem to make great coaches! Guess it cause all they spend most their careers watching plays and tactics develop right in front of them.

The media coverage has been pretty good. The problem has been that the Canucks' success has killed any momentum amongst the casual sports fan. Hopefully the Whitecaps will have some meaningful games in the summer when the team will have more attention on it.

The media coverage has been pretty good. The problem has been that the Canucks' success has killed any momentum amongst the casual sports fan. Hopefully the Whitecaps will have some meaningful games in the summer when the team will have more attention on it.

I don't necessarily agree, I would say it has stymied it for the most part but not killed it, Im a regular listener of am sports radio (as I'm sure most of you are as well) and the Whitecaps are in the minds of everyone still in the midst of the Canuck Cup run... I mean, I went to watch game 5 and the Caps v Chicago at a bar downtown and they had one if not two TV's in the bar playing the football match along side the Canuck's game, what a wicked atmosphere!

Archived