FC Edmonton v. Atlanta Siverbacks - May 7, 2011

I didn't see a thread for this match, so here it is:

AtlantaSilverbacks.png

FC Edmonton @ Atlanta Silverbacks

May 7, 2011

Atlanta Silverbacks Park, Atlanta, GA

7:30pm ET

Eddies supporters from across the capital region will be gathered around their computer monitors (or watching on a big screen at Sports Central Bar and Grill) in anticipation of seeing our boys end a rough patch of form (and simultaneously end their 4-match scoring drought).

It was only April 16 when these two sides last squared off, with the Eddies running out 1- nil victors in a closely contested match. A "Suprenant Screamer" was enough for all 3 points last time, but that seems ages ago, having watched the team struggle a great deal since.

Because I have a day job to tend to, allow me to insert the match preview from SoccerbyIves (pure filler):

FC Edmonton's surprising start is beginning to look like a fluke as Harry Sinkgraven's men are struggling and the organization and discipline that was seen early in the season seems to have evaporated. The 5-0 thumping suffered at the hands of the Montreal Impact puts the Canadians at the top of the goals-conceded category with eight. Atlanta took its first point last weekend from FCTampa Bay and will try to use that momentum to boost its disappointing home form.[/
INDENT]

A "fluke"? C'mon, man? Let's trust the Eddies to get it sorted out on the road. It will be interesting to see how much Sinkgraven departs from the starting XI that took on TFC midweek. I believe Baart and Lemire were left behind for this one? At least our No.2 keeper, Parker, looked up for it against TFC - and some of the other new faces (new to me at least) were okay too (I'm thinking of Niko Saler in particular). Most importantly, we should see Saiko back in action and hopefully he can get the offence rolling again.

If you find yourself in the Atlanta area this weekend, be sure to get down to Silverbacks Park to take advantage of a Mother's Day special! That's right, all moms will receive free admission to the game vs. FC Edmonton with any other ticket purchase. A crowd full of soccer moms - I like it.

Live stream:

Agreed. I thought Parker looked good. He's one, as a Canadian fan, I'd like to see get more and more time. The only FCE game I've watched is v. TFC in leg-two. Hamilton at CB (that's his name?) with the long hair. Lots to work on with him. Potentially a bright future if his learning curve is steep enough. The lad from Whitecaps. Porter, up front is dynamic. The attacking central mid (Yamada?) looks a bright and creative player with as much learning to do as Hamilton, but equally bright upside.

Some good pieces. Quite liked the left back - he wasn't good enough for u20???

Look forward to seeing how this team progresses - adding Victoria, Hamilton and hopefully Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Calgary will really boost not only FCE's chances at future success, but also these other 4 clubs.

Game against Montreal was unexcusable. Just horrible. I'm looking forward to seeing who plays and how the club rebounds in a league game. Honestly they couldn't have picked a better team to go against (Atlanta being at the bottom of the table), but anything can happen. I'm looking forward to seeing more from Hamilton (thought his game against TFC was the best he's had yet), and Parker. If Parker shows skill vs Atlanta and Tampa Bay, it would be worthwhile starting him and moving Baart to more of a mentoring role for a bit.

Edmonton looked dominate against Atlanta in their first game, hopefully they've come together enough over the last week and will be able to put a strong effort tomorrow night.

Would be surprised if Baart comes back following a tight performance from Parker against Tronno. We need to be more creative up in the final third - more long balls than last season. Hopefully the confidence will be okay. Need to see more from the forwards!

Our last home game was so bad that I highly doubt we will get over two thousand fans for the next game. In fact I will be dumbfounded if we get half of the parents with kids back, after the one dad gave me a grim smile and said that was his last FC Edmonton game ever. I already passed that on to the guys at sticks and stones.

Wow... that's a pretty harsh statement. First game and already we're jumping ship? C'mon... let's grab a little perspective here. We started brightly, had a loss to the Railhawks by a goal and a keeper error (against the scoring terror of the NASL as well). Then we come home, get red carded and knocked off our game by an MLS squad, face another soon to be MLS squad that just came off an emotional close loss at home to an MLS team... and then we got to face off against another MLS team at home.

We've played one of the better teams in our league...

An MLS team with 3 times (or more) our salary range... twice.

One of the historically strongest NASL teams and a soon to be MLS team...

I hardly call that time to panic.

we may lose (actually we probably will lose) some of the casual fans for the long weekend game. I think that if we dominate the next few games, we might attract some of the intrest of the local press again though. If we can get that, then we'll be looking at more fans.

I don't think the ESG is jumping ship... it'll just be the same situation as last "season". Just another up-hill battle for the team to face.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow by the way, who's all coming to the game? If anyone wants to join me in a pre-game cigar, PM me... I'm going to be working til close to game time, and will offer as much a discount as I can for ESG members!

Our last home game was so bad that I highly doubt we will get over two thousand fans for the next game. In fact I will be dumbfounded if we get half of the parents with kids back, after the one dad gave me a grim smile and said that was his last FC Edmonton game ever. I already passed that on to the guys at sticks and stones.

If he gives up that easily, he probably didn't want to be there in the first place. Still he probably wont be the last. I just hoping we'll still have a team when I can afford to get there New house/mortgage and all that.

They say that you judge a true supporter, not be his joyous reaction to the a teams sucess, but to how much pain and anguish he feels when his team gets hammered.

FT, you truly hold that honour.

Wow... that's a pretty harsh statement. First game and already we're jumping ship? C'mon... let's grab a little perspective here. We started brightly, had a loss to the Railhawks by a goal and a keeper error (against the scoring terror of the NASL as well). Then we come home, get red carded and knocked off our game by an MLS squad, face another soon to be MLS squad that just came off an emotional close loss at home to an MLS team... and then we got to face off against another MLS team at home.

We've played one of the better teams in our league...

An MLS team with 3 times (or more) our salary range... twice.

One of the historically strongest NASL teams and a soon to be MLS team...

I hardly call that time to panic.

Well I think it may have had to do with it wasn't as family friendly as he may have thought. I am not just talking about us at all! The Foote game brought out a lot of soccer know hows, who cursed and jeered those red cards even more vehemently then I did. Yeah, I saw more bar crowd then soccer mom/dad crowd there. If we had a different facility it could accommodate and pander more to a wider variety of fans.

Yeah, I have to admit I'm not comfortable with some of the language - mainly because I think it turns some people away. If we had a proper stadium with a supporters section etc, I'd say go for it... but 3-4 loudmouths hanging around the hot dog stand is a different story.

Personally I abstain from the chants with questionable language and try to watch mine overall.. but that's my choice.

Yeah, I have to admit I'm not comfortable with some of the language - mainly because I think it turns some people away. If we had a proper stadium with a supporters section etc, I'd say go for it... but 3-4 loudmouths hanging around the hot dog stand is a different story.

Personally I abstain from the chants with questionable language and try to watch mine overall.. but that's my choice.

Agreed. I think we kept things relatively clean though. Maybe we should consider a location change to the South side of the field to avoid upsetting people? It was a little tricky when the lines started forming for consession etc, and when people were leaving we got some looks.

On the other hand, I was talking to a father/son on the train on the way home, and it was very positive. He encouraged us and said it was good to hear that there are some serious supporters in the city.

I think we don't look too bad at the half... couple of good scoring chances already. I'm a little surprised that Craig is starting, I'd kinda like to see what the Trinidad Typhoon could do running against NASL defenders.

Great game by the guys tonight. Parker solid solid in goals, defence comfortable, midfield hard-working and the attack more creative. Final score did FCE justice.....job well done and great to bounce back...

Well, I know ATL is poor, but we looked pretty good against them once again. Could easily have been 4, 5 - nil. Wasteful, wasteful finishing. I love that the Eddies keep the ball on the deck, but they need to shoot when the chance presents itself.

Oh, and Alberta White, I like our white strip and I would def. support us wearing a dominantly white kit - as our first strip. Canada already has Les Impact and the Whitecaps in blue and white.

A song would be good. Not a self pened power ballard, or anything totally hoakey. but something local and synonamous with Alberta generally and maybe Edmonton specifically.

Is should be a good march which our drummers could handle. And also a little quirkey.

Im thinking of something a bit like the Hearts fans who sing the Proclaimers, "Sunshine on Leith".

Its got to have the most morose opening to any football song.

Which after the Montreal Mauling then;

"My heart was Broken,My heart was broken,

Sorrow Sorrow, Sorrow Sorrow"

Would seem quite appropriate.

I'm not up on the what passes for local fare by I'm taken with the Corb Lund song I Wanna Be In The Calvary (if they send me off to war)

Other Suggestions?

A song would be good. Not a self pened power ballard, or anything totally hoakey. but something local and synonamous with Alberta generally and maybe Edmonton specifically.

Is should be a good march which our drummers could handle. And also a little quirkey.

Im thinking of something a bit like the Hearts fans who sing the Proclaimers, "Sunshine on Leith".

Its got to have the most morose opening to any football song.

Which after the Montreal Mauling then;

"My heart was Broken,My heart was broken,

Sorrow Sorrow, Sorrow Sorrow"

Would seem quite appropriate.

I'm not up on the what passes for local fare by I'm taken with the Corb Lund song I Wanna Be In The Calvary (if they send me off to war)

Other Suggestions?

Yeah, I still say Bang Bang is a good song for us to sing before the game, and After the Storm by Mumford and Sons if we are losing after halftime.

Archived