Garneau Elans 2010 CCAA women champions post strong performance in Menton tournament

navycyr

FX Garneau Elans, who won 2010 Canadian Intercollegiate Championship, posted a strong performance today over Tunisian national team in Menton France to win in PKs (after a 0-0 result in regular time) and finish first of their pool in a 10 teams international senior open tournament. They had previously beaten 4-0 a team from Croatia, 1-0 a team from Denmark and 4-0 an italian team. They will now face tomorrow morning the second team of the other pool and might play again against last year champions, Tunisia national women team if both win their first game. Things might be different then, surprise effect being gone. It is reported they have achieved today's upset due to their keepers exceptional performance. She has not allowed a single goal so far in the tournament.

The Elans, who will be hosts to 2011 Canadian Colleges Championship will go next fall for a 6th national championship and a second in a row, If they succed, they will become the women with most national colleges championships. Even if coaches are pleased with the recruitment process, they will face a tough job with only 6 returning players from this year edition.

Munseahawk and all others ! Sorry I put the wrong acronym. I wanted to put the whole thing "Canadian College" in the title and it did'nt fit. So I put what I tought was the good acronym without checking to fit in the allowed space. Sorry for whoever I might have misled ! I apologize.

FX Garneau have posted a 4-0 win in the semi-finals and will now face Oviedo Moderno from Spain (who has defeated Tunisia national team 3-1 in their semi) in the Menton tournament final. Both teams have a similar tournament not having allowed a goal in the qualification phase. Oviedo has defeated Bergamo, Italia 4-0, Rijeka, Croatia 3-0, Étoiles de Menton, tournament hosts 4-0 and Ekomet 90 from Bulgaria 1-0.

Good luck girls for the final this afternoon !

Garneau Elans finally conceded a goal in the Menton tournament. Unfortunately, it was one too much as they lost the final against Oviedo Moderno from Spain by 1-0. For those interested to figure out the level of play in Europe, Oviedo Moderno is playing in group B of the second division of the women superligua of Spain. Oviedo Moderno also have a team in group A of the first division. Their results so far in the league were after 14 games : 7 won 2 ties and 5 losses ; 27 goals for, 15 against. There are only 3 points (a win) separating the second place from the 6th in a very tight race.

Pos Equipo Ptos Ju Ga Em Pe Gf Gc

1 Valencia CF 29 14 9 2 3 38 22

2 SC Huelva 26 14 8 2 4 36 20

3 SD Reocín 25 14 7 4 3 26 23

4 CA Málaga 25 14 8 1 5 21 21

5 AD Torrejón CF 24 14 7 3 4 26 15

6 Oviedo Moderno 23 14 7 2 5 27 15

7 Gimnàstic de Tarragona 7 14 2 1 11 9 39

8 SD Eibar 1 14 0 1 13 11 39

Copa de la Reina Descenso

Archived