New TFC training facility and academy complex

Soccerpro

Somewhere out in the fifth dimension apparently. With 15 years to go until the lease at BMO Field is up for renegotiation with city hall having a base at Downsview Park, the rival location towards the end of the stadium deal saga, is an intelligent strategic move. On or reasonably near to both a subway and Go rail line and very close to the 401 makes it a very good location for a pro sports stadium. Hence why it is often mentioned in the context of NFL expansion. Accessibility is also the key for a successful youth academy catering to the whole of the GTA so better there than a peripheral 905 community like Oakville.

I have always believed and still maintain that the Downsview location would have been the best of all the options for the stadium. Its the most accessible and the most centrally located.

Compared to some of the other options that were out there at the time, the exhibition grounds was better than some but worst than others. The ex is good for people who have to commute from east or west. But the commute from the north is not very good. You have traffic snarls, no direct access and very slow "to and from" times if you are using public transit. Plus you have the winds that come in from the lake which havn't been a real problem so far.

Downsview is the best of all worlds because its centrally located and easility accessible for anyone living north of Steeles, which is a soccer hotbed. You can also get to downsview by subway, something that is unfortunately not possible at the current location.

I can see Downsview being a new location for TFC. So much potention and easy access.

Shouldn't cost much to take down BMO field, not like it's made outta concrete. Maybe that is why they have a temporay structure, they knew ahead of time they wanted a permanant site and structure that will be surrounded by other soccer fields.

BMO Field is most definitely not a temporary structure.

It's aluminum. Rogers centre is a permanent structure(concrete), Rexhall centre is permanent(concrete), ACC is permanent(concrete), hell even Lamport Stadium is concrete.

So my point simply was, it's a lot easier to dismantle BMO and move it to Downsview park after their lease is up. I don't ususally agree with anything MLSE does, not that they have given anyone a reason to do so. But a Downsview location and the development plans that are in place for Downsview Park make it the best place for soccer. Easy access for all, between 401 & 407 & the subway, which will also run to York U and Jane/Hwy 7 in Vaughan( a soccer hub to say the least).

I loved during the interview when they said they would like to push their training all the way down to the U6 level. Ah the Dutch mentality :)

Train them young, train them correctly and keep it consistent for years. This could work out quite well.

I would love to see TFC go to a league format at the younger levels. It would probably piss off alot of people at the OSA and OSL, but it's the best way to make sure no one gets missed. I'd propose:

U18 - 1 team of 25 players

U16 - 2 teams of 18 players

U14 - 4 teams of 18 players

U13 - 4 teams of 15 players

U12 - 4 teams of 15 players

Below that you hold monthly camps and keep assessing players. I'm not sure going as low as U6 - heck even U10 - is a good idea..but hey, who am i to argue with the "Dutch way".

It's aluminum. Rogers centre is a permanent structure(concrete), Rexhall centre is permanent(concrete), ACC is permanent(concrete), hell even Lamport Stadium is concrete.

It's mostly aluminum, but it's not temporary.

They cannot, and will not ever dismantle and move the stadium anywhere. That wasn't the driving factor behind picking Downsview as the site of the training facility. And IMO, anywhere close to the downtown core is 1000x better for a stadium location than Downsview. The training facility is in the right spot, though.

Tom Anselmi, meet David Anselmi. :)

On abandoning BMO field: there are height restrictions in the Downsview area due to the airport, so any new stadium would have to be not very tall. (depending on location, it might be only 15m allowed, it might be 30m.)

edited to add, I'm not insinuating anything about the Anselmis. David is a straightforward and easy to deal with guy, and I have no reason to question his integrity. I'm just amused.

I know York U was also looking at where they could put multiple pitches on campus, so it wasn't like Downsview was the only option. But I'm sure it was the most suitable for TFC's needs.

If you google map Downsview park, you can see where there are some new pitches already - and an image I've seen online suggests the TFC pitches will be directly south of that. A small (2k) stadium is shown to the west of the fields... but may not be able to be built much larger than that.

Shouldn't cost much to take down BMO field, not like it's made outta concrete.....

BMO field belongs to the city of Toronto rather than MLSE because it was built primarily with public money using a federal infrastructure program for public sector projects in Ontario costing over $75 million so it's not going anywhere. All I was getting at with the earlier post was that it's good to have a viable plan B when going into stadium rental negotiations. Downsview Park will provide that once the new subway and Go line interchange station is in place and fully operational.

I would love to see TFC go to a league format at the younger levels. It would probably piss off alot of people at the OSA and OSL, but it's the best way to make sure no one gets missed. I'd propose:

U18 - 1 team of 25 players

U16 - 2 teams of 18 players

U14 - 4 teams of 18 players

U13 - 4 teams of 15 players

U12 - 4 teams of 15 players

Below that you hold monthly camps and keep assessing players. I'm not sure going as low as U6 - heck even U10 - is a good idea..but hey, who am i to argue with the "Dutch way".

25 players! 15 players on a u12 team! What world do you occupy???? You do realize u12 is 8v8 or 9v9 depending on the province right? You also realize these kids need to actually play the game? What are your experiences as a youth coach?

Starting at u6 is great, but you'd need to pretty much accept every kid....by u10 you still will need to have 50 or so kids from GTA in the program....that's a lot of staff.

25 players! 15 players on a u12 team! What world do you occupy???? You do realize u12 is 8v8 or 9v9 depending on the province right? You also realize these kids need to actually play the game? What are your experiences as a youth coach? .

Listen there smart ass, last I checked there are already 25 players on the TFC U18 team so do your homework before blowing a gasket....and i coach here in Ontario where we go 11v11 at U11 and above.

http://www.ontariosoccer.net/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=KPwHUfHKvSg%3d&tabid=3819&language=en-US

Starting at u6 is great, but you'd need to pretty much accept every kid....by u10 you still will need to have 50 or so kids from GTA in the program....that's a lot of staff.

Now who's not making sense! 50 kids for the GTA at U10 level?

• 5 months later...

Connected?

http://torontoist.com/2011/09/landlord-evicts-air-and-space-museum/

Landlord Evicts Air and Space Museum

By Meg Campbell

The Canadian Air and Space Museum, located at Downsview Park, has received an eviction notice from its landlord after falling $100,000 behind on its rent, according to ctvtoronto.ca. (rest at the link)

edit: nevermind, it's ice pads.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/09/20/canadian-air-and-space-museum-evicted-possibly-to-be-replaced-by-ice-rink/

While not convenient for me personally, it is a good location. Have to say I am pretty stoked that they are going to be running a 'club' structure and Toronto really does need more football fields.

So often I see baseball outfields being used for scrimmage games of football, which works I guess but says something about the change in preferences of sports by both young and old.

It is too bad that this has to be put forward by MLSE and we aren't seeing more football fields put in by the city. Not exactly a terribly expensive proposition unless you are doing something like Cherry Beach which is turf, I just want a couple of goal posts and lines painted a couple of times a year. They mow the grass anyway... oh well, guess that would be 'gravy'

Archived