TFC vs. DC United Sat. April 16th 2011

jpg75

Game tonight @7pm (not so enamoured with the late start time), welcoming home Dan Jakovic and Pat Onstad with a tough loss at the hands of the good guys! : )

Santos is back to full health and not sure if we'll have the new defender Eckersley in the lineup or not...

DC have a bunch of injuries and suspensions, however Charlie Davies is expected to start and he leads MLS with 4 goals from 3 sub appearances (total 120 min. played). Scary.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DC have a bunch of injuries and suspensions, however Charlie Davies is expected to start and he leads MLS with 4 goals from 3 sub appearances (total 120 min. played). Scary.

Could pose a problem for the slow footed Cann-Harden partnership. That's where Attakora's skillset can be more of a neutralizer, so I wonder what Winter's lineup decision will be.

If I'm not mistaken 3 of those goals have been scored from Penalty Kicks.

Right you are, though in his defence he did "create" his own PK last week against LA. But yeah, not as intimidating when you put it that way...after having won their opener at home to Columbus they have 1 point from their last 3 games (2-1 loss in NE, 4-1 loss in Colorado and a questionable 1-1 draw at home with LA).

Anyone want a pair of free tickets to the match tonight? Supporters sec. 110. I have a going away party to attend for a friend after the match, but can't show up all wet from being rained at the match, so gonna have to sit this one out. lmk if is interested by 4pm.

The team seems commited to going forward but bungle it horribly every time. Am I the only one here that thinks that TFC players are still horribly individualistic, the forwards especially? The team needs to pass the ball forward more and they continually insist on passing all the way back to Frei. How the heck is it that with a swath of new players, a new coach and a "new philosophy" that indivisualism, and the sh#ty passing play are still rife in the teams playing style. With a few exceptions, Im starting to think the club should just field the promising youngsters coming through the system. After seeing games like this, I still dont agree with the DeRo trade. Our goalscoring situation is getting worse every game.

Yeah, I was watching the Caps game mostly but everytime I flipped over to check on TFC it was getting worse and worse.

There is no Total team football from the front guy for TFC today, Stevanovic is a selfish player, tons of talent no heart.

Getting rid of DeRo seems to be sorta like pulling a thread on a knitted sweater. The cohesion is nowhere to be seen, and you can not win in at the highest levels of soccer no matter what country your in, without team synergy.

I think Dero made Santos look good. But he's bad. Where's Peterson gonna start next, in goal? What stands out most of all is the horrific passing ... I suppose one day I won't see Gargan or Harden on this team .. maybe when they die of old age.

ouch. I PVR'd the game while watching the Caps vs Chivas but after reading this maybe I'll just delete. Sounds sad. At least we got a point (and hit 2 posts in the process). I don't know what you need to do to turn it around but hopefully something quick. I hope Cann isn't injured too bad and I guess Nana will be back next game.

I'd love for someone to tell me what we have to be optimistic about, all I hear is "give them time blah, blah, blah"

Big thing will be getting a regular starting back four sorted out and used to playing together. I suspect that's part of what might be causing the slow starts. Peterson at right back was an experiment that clearly didn't work but with Eckersley arriving the solution is hopefully just around the corner. Beyond that think people really do need to be patient and should be prepared to give Winter the two years rebuild time that Sigi Schmid had in Columbus. If you hang in there through the bad times success will taste much sweeter when it eventually arrives than it ever could for fairweather fan types who only come out of the woodwork when things are going well.

Agree with BBTB, I think TFC fans need to be patient. First of all, the transition to the style of play desired is more challenging than most think. A run and chase style of game can hide a lot of deficiencies. It becomes necessary to expose individual weaknesses and develop corrections in order to move to a higher level of play. Also, I wish people would stop talking about this new style being Total Football because no team has played this style in its purest form since the 1970s. Winter is simply trying to introduce more of a style of play that is common in Europe and in Latin America. Yes, it is a Dutch-style derivation of Total Football but there is no way that TFC can play the pure form. I am still confident that we will see a much different team at the end of the year. In fact, I am far more confident today that I ever was in TFC's past because at least, there is a long term direction for the team and its style of play.

Secondly, with such a small roster (much smaller than most major European and Latin American clubs would have), mid-week games can have an impact on the following game. Having watched small clubs try to compete big clubs in Brazil, it becomes fairly evident that performance can be impacted when games bunch up. It is usually the third game (or later) in succession with less than a week between when things fall apart (at least from what I've seen). We don't know what sort of nagging discomforts continue to linger after the mid-week game and general fatigue will be accumulating.

For those who think playing a midfielder as a fullback is strange, it is commonly done in other leagues when the coach feels that it is his best option. Still, the most high profile example of playing out of position would be Frank Rijkard when he was Holland's starting central defender while being one of Europe's top midfielders at club level in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Yes the game was ugly but it was one game. And there will be more; but not necessarily in succession.

Big thing will be getting a regular starting back four sorted out and used to playing together. I suspect that's part of what might be causing the slow starts. Peterson at right back was an experiment that clearly didn't work but with Eckersley arriving the solution is hopefully just around the corner. Beyond that think people really do need to be patient and should be prepared to give Winter the two years rebuild time that Sigi Schmid had in Columbus. If you hang in there through the bad times success will taste much sweeter when it eventually arrives than it ever could for fairweather fan types who only come out of the woodwork when things are going well.

Sigi Schmid had already won an MLS Cup when he went to Columbus. And please don't patronize me with that fairweather fan bull. TFC are officially the most unsuccessful new club in MLS history in terms of play-off qualification, they should be thankful anyone still goes to BMO.

Archived