Canadians abroad: April 15-21, 2011

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for April 15-21, 2011.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Norway - Pozniak came on as a late sub (min 87) in Haugesund's 3-3 draw with Brann

Finland - Suomen Cup - Trafford played 90 and Bellisomo was a sub in IFK Mariehamn's 1-0 win over Honka

France Ligue 2 - Nimes lost 1-0 to Laval with Haidar on the bench, which drops them into the relegation zone.

Holland Eerste Division - Marello was an unused sub in BV Veendam's 2-1 victory over Dordrecht ' 90

Singapore - Jordan Webb scored the only goal for his Hougang United as they lost 2-1 at home to Singapore AF:

"Mamadou Diallo and Jordan Webb really stood out tonight. These two men have been around for some time: Webb is into his second season here and Diallo his third. They are similar players in terms of style: both are blisteringly fast, confident on the dribble, and never shy to have a pop at goal from anywhere. Hougang would do extremely well to retain the services of the duo come the end of the season."

http://thesaffcfan.blogspot.com/

Championship

David Edgar doesn't make the bench in the Burnley-Swansea match, 1-0 for Swansea so far.

Peters on the bench for Ipswich at Bristol. Ipswich up 1-0 but a man down.

Santiago & John don't make the squad for Cardiff City-Portsmouth.

Hume gets the start for PNE-Sheff Utd. They're up 1-0.

Gage doesn't crack the Reading lineup again, 3-0 for Reading over Leicester.

Borjan's RAD has drawn 1-1 away to Indjija. Borjan was Man of the Match. RAD have conceded a league-tying low of four goals in eleven matches.

Is that for the last eleven matches? Because they've conceded 12 goals in 22 matches during the 2010/11 season - which is 3rd best defensive record in Serbia.

Is that for the last eleven matches? Because they've conceded 12 goals in 22 matches during the 2010/11 season - which is 3rd best defensive record in Serbia.

I stand corrected - I was looking at their sparkling home record :> Interesting battle for number one for Canada come WCQ. How sure are we that Lars will be unavailable for the Gold Cup?

I stand corrected - I was looking at their sparkling home record :> Interesting battle for number one for Canada come WCQ. How sure are we that Lars will be unavailable for the Gold Cup?

Lars club has games on these dates:

28/05

12/06

15/06

18/06

25/06

Canada schedule is:

01/06

07/06

11/06

14/06

Then 1/4, 1/2 and Final between the 18 and the 25th.

I guess it's up to Lars but if I was him I would show up at the GC because Borjan seems more than able to take the number 1 spot.

He should have a secure spot at Valerenga by now, if an American keeper from Norway was called I'd bet they would be there

Lars is the undoubted number 1 at VIF. Troy Perkins went to the GC (2 years ago) when he was at Valerenga...but Troy Perkins is no Lars Hirschfeld.

Klukowski is not anymore at Ankaragucu.

Belgium Europa League qualifying

Sain-Trond 1-2 Lierse SK

Radz plays his 90. Lierse moves in second in their group.

Klukowski had an issue with wages, correct? Kind of ****ty news concerning Canada's best leftback. Where do we think he'll land?

Lars is the #1 for me. Even if Borjan comes to the GC and does a great job - which I suspect he would do. Lars has been there, done that. Borjan is new, young, and will be our Pat Onstad (ie, Forrests back-up, but excellent and reliable) until Lars gets over his peak, which he should be in or nearing now as a GK.

I haven't seen too much of Borjan obviously, but reading the match reports it sounds like he's also a great shot stopper. In the Greece match I was also impressed with his distribution. Lars has never been great in this area and to me, if you want to play a possession style, you can't have a keeper who turns the ball back to the opposition constantly. I would give the nod to Borjan in the Gold Cup and see what he can do. Decide from there for WCQ.

Denmark

Issey stayed on the bench for Horsens' 1-1 draw with Sonderjysk. Can't see any mention of injury so it might have been a coach's decision as Horsens lost a defender to a red card in the first half and perhaps bunkered down.

Bernier is presumably still injured and missed Nordsjaeland's 3-1 loss to FC Copenhagen.

Norway

Lars played as Vålerenga drew Lillestrom 1-1.

Finland

O'Neill not involved as MyPA beat Jaro 3-1 in the Suomen Cup

Portugal (Liga Orangina)

Pacheco played 90 as Santa Clara won 2-0 away to Estoril

Romania

Looks like Ricketts remained on the bench as FC Timosoara lost 3-2 away to Rapid Bucharest.

Sweden

Stamatopoulos on the bench for AIK as drew Elfsborg 2-2

Switzerland

Imhof picked up a yellow and played 90 as a LDM as bottom St.Gallen were held to a scoreless draw away to Thun

English Championship

Norwich City (Jackson) 2 - 1 Nottingham Forest.

Simeon plays 89 minutes. In the last 10 minutes, he missed a good header and also hit the post one time with a left foot shot.

jackson didnt score but he did win Man of the Match in this game.....a very good showing....more time is proving to help him find his form.

he actually did score but was called offside...the replay didnt substantiate the call.

Archived