Milan Borjan - and his decision to play for Canda

forster01

He was born in Knin, and I happen to know someone through the in-laws who is from Knin. I will see if they know the Borjan's despite Borjan's settling in Hamilton. The family I know is settled on West Coast. It's not a large town, Knin....if they know him or his parents might be a way to pass him well-wishes or thanks/appreciation to him directly.

Great interview, Milan comes across as a very thoughtful down to earth person. These are the footballers who should be getting press, not the ones who routinely do make the headlines. Alex perhaps instead of our thoughts about sending a message to Teal in Detroit we should come up with something which mentions something about Milan's class

Great interview, Milan comes across as a very thoughtful down to earth person. These are the footballers who should be getting press, not the ones who routinely do make the headlines. Alex perhaps instead of our thoughts about sending a message to Teal in Detroit we should come up with something which mentions something about Milan's class

I already like you. You're named after real beer.

I call a meeting at Crackerjacks, we need to brainstorm over some pints of focus juice.

I'm thinking of something not just for Milan, but for the whole team. We have a squad that is focused and proud to play for our country. I don't have anything specific in mind but we can take this spirit and go from there.

Originally Posted By: Alex D

I call a meeting at Crackerjacks, we need to brainstorm over some pints of focus juice.

I'm thinking of something not just for Milan, but for the whole team. We have a squad that is focused and proud to play for our country. I don't have anything specific in mind but we can take this spirit and go from there.

I like the enthusiasm, but truth be told meetings at Cracker Jacks usually end up bleary eyed and nowhere close to discussing the topic at hand. But I digress, I like the idea of something for the entire squad.

Originally Posted By: TFCRegina

I already like you. You're named after real beer.

Cheers TFCRegina, there are three things I miss about my time on the prairies, Old Style Pilsner, the people, and the ridiculously named DUDE BEER from BC. However, I still have my OSP Beercase Cowboy Hat from Taylor Field which I wear to all CMNT and CWNT matches, so if your around for Canada v Ecuador or Gold Cup in Detroit I won't be too hard to miss.

I like the enthusiasm, but truth be told meetings at Cracker Jacks usually end up bleary eyed and nowhere close to discussing the topic at hand. But I digress, I like the idea of something for the entire squad.

Cheers TFCRegina, there are three things I miss about my time on the prairies, Old Style Pilsner, the people, and the ridiculously named DUDE BEER from BC. However, I still have my OSP Beercase Cowboy Hat from Taylor Field which I wear to all CMNT and CWNT matches, so if your around for Canada v Ecuador or Gold Cup in Detroit I won't be too hard to miss.

The respect factor keeps growing here...

Probably won't be at either. I will be at a WCQ this year for sure.

I was chatting with someone who briefly coached Milan as a kid, along with a number of former Yugoslav players in the Hamilton area.

He's Croatian and he was saying that there is a lot of pressure on some of the younger generation that have moved to Canada with their parents to "choose a side"; this can be particularly difficult for those who have parents from two of the former Yugoslav ethnic groups.

He was suggesting that some of those players won't suit up for Hamilton Croatia or Hamilton Serbians due to implications of it "declaring" their primary ethnicity. He couldn't speculate whether this may or may not have been a factor in Borjan's decision to play for Canad, but he wasn't surprised that Milan chose to play for Canada over Serbia.

Totally anecdotal but I just thought it was interesting.

Maybe anecdotal, but it's also completely accurate what you've said. My wife calls herself Croat-Canadian, and is very proud of being born in Bosnia, but she is Canada-first as it has given her all she has. She knows exactly where she'd be in life if she had not come here. Her parents continue to say "You are Croatian." So this would be the case everywhere. After all, it's not a case of these people turning their backs and choosing to immigrate to have a new life and do things differently, to embrace a new culture. They were refugees. So the ties to home are still very strong.

Archived