Sydney Leroux signs with Vancouver Whitecaps

jpg75

Oh, come on and read your own posts "But yeah, beats the B&B down the street from Philipp's Bakery the men had to room in last qualifying cycle." They are separate programs that are quite different so understand that and get over it. Yes, the MNT gets a raw deal too but the question is when are they going to stand up for themselves and confront the CSA. When are they going to produce the results we feel they can? Maybe it's time for Jason de Vos to name names rather than just talk about it as it's getting pretty old.

I'm surprised you don't get it that it's her choice just as it's your choice to turn your back on not buying Canadian products and services only. Each can benefit the country but we have the freedom to decide to what extent our own development or maintenance of life is important to us. Everyone lives in a grey area so don't be a kettle when you don't understand the choices someone else makes. Further, under both countries laws and rights, she as an athlete can decide as she pleases. Whether is Sydney, Sincy, Charmaine or whomever under the same circumstances they as an athlete would have my support to make that choice to seek the best development they can for them-self. It's the same for me with the dual citizen male players that go elsewhere too.

Flip-flop, don't make me laugh as that's such a poor argument or reason when it comes to sports. The sport from top to bottom in a try-out sport. It's not only countries, clubs and teams picking players but it players deciding where the want to go too. Players know this and they respect it. If they don't know it then our youth system has failed them in understanding try-outs is a 2 way street.

Still you dont' get the beef is about how 2 separate programs should be funded. Has nothing to do with it being equal funding but being fair with respect to the programs needs and their performance. It needs to be equal when it comes under Sports Canada and the CCRF as far as both having contracts. From over 10 years the WNT have stated their case but they have never said they want an equal contract as they know their programs are different and separate. For over 10 years the CSA has BS'ed and bullied them and thankfully it's coming to an end very shortly where the CSA will be exposed for what they are in running a NSO.

It was a ****in' joke man, stop taking things so bloody literally and loosen up a little...4 paragraphs for a Philipp's Bakery joke <shaking head>....and I'm not even the one who brought up the accomodations! Besides, the men usually stay at 4-star hotels and not a bed and breakfast...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was a ****in' joke man, stop taking things so bloody literally and loosen up a little...4 paragraphs for a Philipp's Bakery joke <shaking head>....and I'm not even the one who brought up the accomodations! Besides, the men usually stay at 4-star hotels and not a bed and breakfast...

4 para's come on man do some reading rather than some guessing and missing out on other responses to points being made. Thanks for pointing out the B&B was a joke but I wouldn't have got it as I think the MNT gets a raw deal too.

It's really incredibly selfish of these players to make decisions based on their own personal dreams and desires.

So players should be able to play for whatever team they like based on nothing more than, "their own personal dreams and desires"? Well, that is a valid opinion and one you are entitled too and I cannot condone the ad hominem attacks that have come your way.

However, this philosphy is incompatible with national teams. Since clearly all this philosophy allows is club teams I assume you will be advocating the cancellation of all international competitions except things like the UEFA Champions League, Europa League and the World Club Championships? ;)

So players should be able to play for whatever team they like based on nothing more than, "their own personal dreams and desires"?

I'm not saying any such thing. Obviously FIFA rules apply.

Sydney has dual citizenship and is therefore perfectly entitled to choose to play for either country. It is her dream to play at the highest possible level, and if she thinks she has the talent to play for the US, then it is completely understandable and reasonable for her to try and achieve that goal if that is her desire.

Yes, Sydney was born in Canada, and so some may ask, "what gives her the right to play for another country?"

What gives her that right, is that she was born in Canada. I think anyone who doesn't get that, does more to disgrace this nation and its values than anything any soccer player ever did.

What gives her that right, is that she was born in Canada. I think anyone who doesn't get that, does more to disgrace this nation and its values than anything any soccer player ever did.
Well, I'm sure lots of soldiers lying in Dieppe can rest easy knowing they died to give people the right to screw Canada. Thanks for reminding us.

I guess you guys and some "Canadian" soccer mercenaries aren't big fans of JFK. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country"

Personally I really cringe at the thought of nationalism at all. I see the national teams as the cumulative effort of the entire soccer community.

I have found this a very effective argument when dealing with people who live here, support another country but are somehow involved in the game. Because they are involved in the game they are a defacto part of that community and the national team is ultimately an expression of that. It doesn't matter what you do. The highest levels of the game can't exist without the grass roots, the municipal fields, all the volunteers ect...

Healthcare, dead soldiers, immigrants owing their souls to a flag ect... all of this is the kind of thing we should running away from as fast as possible.

We can do our part by being a group anyone would want to join. That includes a 25 year old Ecuadorian guy who moved here a few years ago and is excited to go see the team he grew up with coming to Toronto. We can't grow this group on Molson Canadian nationalism.

The only truly legitimate complaint I can see is when players take up resources in our programs that are unfortunately extremely rare and then switch. But that is screwing the community, not the country. The country, if you haven't noticed doesn't really give a sh!t about us.

Give me a break about using up resources during youth development then choosing to play for a country other than Canada. Have you any idea how much churn there is in the development programs, kids come and go all the time for a whole host of reasons. You willing to slam every kid that joins the program then drops out for using up precious resources? Since when does a kid have much choice in where his/her parents live and chose to register them for soccer? Besides, when the time comes for said kid to make a soccer career choice it's all about competition just as it is on the field of play, and clearly the CSA could not or did not offer a better option to young Sydney LeRoux who is very fortunate to enjoy dual citizenship. Canada just lost that particular competition.

Give me a break about using up resources during youth development then choosing to play for a country other than Canada. Have you any idea how much churn there is in the development programs, kids come and go all the time for a whole host of reasons. You willing to slam every kid that joins the program then drops out for using up precious resources? Since when does a kid have much choice in where his/her parents live and chose to register them for soccer? Besides, when the time comes for said kid to make a soccer career choice it's all about competition just as it is on the field of play, and clearly the CSA could not or did not offer a better option to young Sydney LeRoux who is very fortunate to enjoy dual citizenship. Canada just lost that particular competition.

Are you talking to me? I am not particularly fussed about it, though it's hard not to argue Begovic took up some pretty serious field time/experience that is about as rare as it gets.

I am just saying that if one is going to me angry about it, as opposed to just disappointed we lost a player, the only credible thing is the use of space at the highest possible level. I am arguing against things like "take away her families health care" " soldiers are dying in Afghanistan" ect.... I think that stuff is quite misplaced and ones incredulity and angst over these issues should be confined to the context of soccer and that's it. This goes for players making these decisions and in the stands at a Canada game.

We live in a place where we are free to do these things, and that is a good thing.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFBdiI3uCu7mPHGCCbl_b5Xq5kquQlHOr5hVn9TgxIYcmj3pLpkQ&t=1

Exactly. If she has the right to choose to play for the US instead of Canada then I have the right to be displeased with her choice and make my opinion heard. It's a two-way street.
I think disappointment that Canada could not match what the competition had to offer a player fortunate enough to enjoy the rare luxury of dual citizenship would be a better, less base sentiment. Once players reach the international/professional stage there is a whole lot at stake for them personally, all of which they must take into consideration. How jpg75 feels about it is hardly relevant.

I think disappointment that Canada could not match what the competition had to offer a player fortunate enough to enjoy the rare luxury of dual citizenship would be a better, less base sentiment. Once players reach the international/professional stage there is a whole lot at stake for them personally, all of which they must take into consideration. How jpg75 feels about it is hardly relevant.

Lots of people died storming the beaches of Normandy so that i have the right to be hardly relevant and neither you nor any of the other apologists in this thread can take that from me, just like no one can take away your single, hardly relevant vote for the NDP on May 2nd. Thank you dead soldiers.

Sorry, while I remain eternally grateful to those who give their lives in combat on my behalf and against the forces of evil (I am a military veteran myself), I do not acknowledge any material connection between the sacrifices of Canadians 60+ years ago during WWII, fighting the spread of Hitler nazism, and Sydney LeRoux choosing to exercise her American citizenship rights rather than her Canadian citizenship rights as those rights pertain to her soccer career, both of which rights she is perfectly entitled to by reason of the good fortune of her birth.

If ever I saw desperate, misguided reaching in any discussion, this effort of yours to draw a parallell with WWII takes the cake.

I don't think you can comprehend that people tend to get their backs up when they are insidiously insulted by being called things like juvenile for having a nationalist opinion in a "supposed" national forum. Man up, for a change and come out and say what you want to say instead of these sniveling insults we so often see.

Why do you guys with your agendas treat NTs the same as club teams? And why then do you post here if your NT support is suspect. I say that because you seem to support things that are detrimental to our NTs. I would like to know the answer to that.

^ And you and jpg75 have no agenda? Your gut is overuling your common sense on this matter.

When I see juvenile, smallminded, downright silly posts I reserve the right to call them such. It's that freedom that jpg75 would say those WWII soldiers died for, and that is a valid connection.

Your gut is overuling your common sense on this matter.
I thought that was what being a supporter was about. Oh well, I guess I'll now throw my support behind Brazil and ManU. Oh wait I can't support Brazil that's a national team just another extension of a professional club with no emotion or fanaticism.

Leroux shouldn't have joined the Canadian youth setup if she didn't intend to play for us at the senior level.

Despite FIFA allowing players to switch countries, it remains a callous act.

Let's just say I won't be attending any Whitecaps women's matches this year, or any year if Leroux is on the squad.

I wasn't aware that she knew that she was going to be switching allegiances when she was with the Canadian youth squad. You would think she would have gotten more out of playing with the U.S. youth team if she was planning on going there anyway. Is that actually the case?

Let's just say I won't be attending any Whitecaps women's matches this year, or any year if Leroux is on the squad.
I wonder if anyone has publicly challenged the Caps on this. Of course they would take the PC route if they even bothered to respond but I wonder if they have even got the message that this has rankled some fans. I doubt it.

There are those here who say that it's a club thing and the Caps are trying to put the best team forward and I understand that, but they also have to understand that this has offended the sensibility of some fans much the same way as if the Caps signed a wife beater or steroid abuser. They have knowingly made a decision to offend their fan base which in this day of competition for the sports dollar is not a wise thing to do no matter how much or little it actually means.

I wonder if anyone has publicly challenged the Caps on this. Of course they would take the PC route if they even bothered to respond but I wonder if they have even got the message that this has rankled some fans. I doubt it.

There are those here who say that it's a club thing and the Caps are trying to put the best team forward and I understand that, but they also have to understand that this has offended the sensibility of some fans much the same way as if the Leafs signed a wife beater or steroid abuser. They have knowingly made a decision to offend their fan base which in this day of competition for the sports dollar is not a wise thing to do no matter how much or little it actually means.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Leafs have had a steroid abuser or two on the team. The Leafs are a bad analogy, Leaf fans are always going to fill up the place regardless of who they sign or for that matter whoever owns the team, I think they've proved that over the years.

I wasn't aware that she knew that she was going to be switching allegiances when she was with the Canadian youth squad. You would think she would have gotten more out of playing with the U.S. youth team if she was planning on going there anyway. Is that actually the case?

My point wasn't whether she intended to switch. My point is that people should not switch, whether FIFA permits it or not. Don't commit to a national program until you've made a permanent decision.

Archived