Sydney Leroux signs with Vancouver Whitecaps

jpg75

Really, well where is the money for this excursion coming from? The Good Soccer Fairy?

If I hear another guy whine about CSA women's NT funding, I'll upchuck.

Anyone else notice the Serie A teams Moscato listed off as having held camp there? Bari, Napoli and Palermo, all southern clubs...i'm guessing the northern clubs are a little too uppity to stay there?

But yeah, beats the B&B down the street from Philipp's Bakery the men had to room in last qualifying cycle.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But yeah, beats the B&B down the street from Philipp's Bakery the men had to room in last qualifying cycle.
The chicks are probably getting Phillip's Bakery delivered. :)

I think I read somewhere this is their fourth time there. They're coming back to Canada and going back there in the next little while.

Thanks for the heads up, but i already knew that, that's why i'm ignoring him. Richard also has a relationship with the club (unofficial photographer?) so i'm not really bothering to engage him as i would expect him to defend the club as well. Coach Rich has a beef with the CSA for underfunding the women's program. Basically all the apologists for Leroux in this thread have an agenda/bias so i'm not really going to take this any further.

This is all about choice and you have the choice to support or not support the Canadian economy. Sydney has a choice as an individual with dual citizenship to make a choice as well so get over it and support players regardless of their sex, color, religion, country and whatever. It's about sport and bettering it. Do you trash all our athletes too that go into the US college and pro sports system? Oh, they make choices too you should know right?

Too many here are coming across like the CSA telling players where, when and with whom the players should take their love of sport too and how to develop themselves. Athletes need to have choices and they are the best ones to decide what is best for themselves. But you'd rather come across as some apologist for some specific power group based on nothing Canada has in common with. What's next you going start putting down the Canadian military service people that served and serve for the US or other countries? The Avro Arrow employees that went on to build NASA? The list goes on and on. What happen to supporting what's right and fair that contributes to the greater good?

Btw the beef is with the CSA because they don't run the NSO for the benefit of the sport. I'm surprised you don't get that. Many like you would rather see barriers put between the various programs without understanding what the real differences are. When it comes to what the CSA programs get it should be based on their merits and more importantly fair treatment. Something that you fail to understand that are a requirement of this country and that of Sports Canada. Your statements come across as some male board members who don't see the merits and fairness in treating both youth genders in a club the same when it comes to funding out of membership dues and sponsorship. As a senior member here you should lead the way vs building the cells.

^Hey jpg2, I didn't know you were a sexist, can I be one too. Apparently the politically correct, BC bud breathin', Tilley hat wearin', CSA Legion of Doom are now calling us sexist. Might as well add nationalist and racist while they're at it.

Nationalist on a Canadian forum. How very strange!

As for the Whitecaps, nothing but a cynical business decision with no thought on what type of message they're sending - using Canada has no repercusions. What's next, Whoregreaves as a DP? Thank god, i'm not a Caps fan!

So, just to make sure I understand your position: its your argument that the Caps are making a cynical business decision and are showing a lack of respect for Canadian women by signing Sydney, and so you are thankful that you are not a supporter. And, so conversely, I assume that you feel that TFC's apparent position of "eh - its just a bunch of girls" is sending a much more positive, progressive message to Canadians?

It seems to me that the Caps are doing their best to make something work in a tough market (women's soccer), and they should be applauded for making an attempt at creating an exciting, successful team (that will mostly feature Canadian women). They are being a true club organization, while TFC (your team, right?) appears to be the one who is making a purely business decision by staying out of what is probably a money loosing venture.

Thanks for the heads up, but i already knew that, that's why i'm ignoring him. Richard also has a relationship with the club (unofficial photographer?) so i'm not really bothering to engage him as i would expect him to defend the club as well.
A relationship no different from any other member of the media, photo-journalist, writer, radio or televsion. All of them are not worth bothering with according to your argument. What a sad little man you are. At least I don't hide behind a silly avatar and pseudonym.

If Sydney had turned down playing for the BC National team would they be opening there arms in such a warm and loving embrace?

Trillium, that's very astute.

If we had a national league, would a Canadian who has declared for another country be considered an import?

This is all about choice and you have the choice to support or not support the Canadian economy. Sydney has a choice as an individual with dual citizenship to make a choice as well so get over it and support players regardless of their sex, color, religion, country and whatever. It's about sport and bettering it. Do you trash all our athletes too that go into the US college and pro sports system? Oh, they make choices too you should know right?

Too many here are coming across like the CSA telling players where, when and with whom the players should take their love of sport too and how to develop themselves. Athletes need to have choices and they are the best ones to decide what is best for themselves. But you'd rather come across as some apologist for some specific power group based on nothing Canada has in common with. What's next you going start putting down the Canadian military service people that served and serve for the US or other countries? The Avro Arrow employees that went on to build NASA? The list goes on and on. What happen to supporting what's right and fair that contributes to the greater good?

Btw the beef is with the CSA because they don't run the NSO for the benefit of the sport. I'm surprised you don't get that. Many like you would rather see barriers put between the various programs without understanding what the real differences are. When it comes to what the CSA programs get it should be based on their merits and more importantly fair treatment. Something that you fail to understand that are a requirement of this country and that of Sports Canada. Your statements come across as some male board members who don't see the merits and fairness in treating both youth genders in a club the same when it comes to funding out of membership dues and sponsorship. As a senior member here you should lead the way vs building the cells.

What the hell are you talking about? My opinion has nothing to do with male vs. female and everything to do with my displeasure with the Whitecaps signing a player, regardless of sex, that decided to turn their back on the Canadian NT after having played for us. Your beef with the lack of equal funding gives your opinion on the subject of Ms. Leroux a shade of bias. If the WNT is not as well funded and professional as the Americans it's ok to use that as an excuse? No, it isn't. If she feels American, then fine be American. But don't flip-flop and use up a valuable spot on a Youth NT that could have been used to help another girl achieve her dreams. I'm surprised you don't get that.

So, just to make sure I understand your position: its your argument that the Caps are making a cynical business decision and are showing a lack of respect for Canadian women by signing Sydney, and so you are thankful that you are not a supporter. And, so conversely, I assume that you feel that TFC's apparent position of "eh - its just a bunch of girls" is sending a much more positive, progressive message to Canadians?

It seems to me that the Caps are doing their best to make something work in a tough market (women's soccer), and they should be applauded for making an attempt at creating an exciting, successful team (that will mostly feature Canadian women). They are being a true club organization, while TFC (your team, right?) appears to be the one who is making a purely business decision by staying out of what is probably a money loosing venture.

Missing the mark buddy, this ain't a TFC vs. Whitecaps thing. If the Lady Lynx did the same i'd be pissed.

A relationship no different from any other member of the media, photo-journalist, writer, radio or televsion. All of them are not worth bothering with according to your argument. What a sad little man you are. At least I don't hide behind a silly avatar and pseudonym.

No need for personal attacks Richard. I'm not dismissing your opinion i'm just saying your naturally going to defend the club because you're close to them, and since i'm set in my ways vis-a-vis the Leroux's, Bunbury's et al i don't think debating this is going to lead to anything enlightening for either side.

The BC national team? The only criteria I have for players on professional teams (and for the purpose of this argument the Whitecaps W-League team is for all intents and purposes professional), is that they commit to the club, fulfil their contract and perform on the field as the club expects from them. It matters not where they come from, this is the professional sports/entertainment business not your local recreational club.

So you agree the Whitecaps academy teams and development should pick up the best kids regardless of being from BC or not ..so from Seattle or Tampa ...etc. and of course you agree the men's team should find the best US origin players to replace like or less talented Canadians, cause it matters not where they come from .. ?

I do have this correct dont I Richard you of the BC soccer Web that you think the Whitecaps should never ever choose a Canadian over a over a cheaper or more talented american born player ?

Trillium, that's very astute.

If we had a national league, would a Canadian who has declared for another country be considered an import?

I would have to say yes...if you declare for a second national team and play for them your a foriegn player in soccer terms even if you have a Canadian passport.

Now could you win a court case .... to be defined as Canadian for soccer purposes to play pro yet in Ms. Leroux's case ... play on the US national team.... not sure, but it would be an interesting case of protecting Canadian culture vs imported ones ... much like the CanCon regulations for radio..

So on balance at a cursurory glance... yes i think you could declare her a foriegn player for soccer purposes of a league.

The Whitecaps will do what they think is best for the Whitecaps..... pointless discussion as there is nothing to be resolved here.

Its always good to discuss to see just where peoples stated opinion ties in with a logical philosophy, the opinions help to understand where people are coming from the bias and the view.... always good to know about someone.

That's a given, but we as Canadian supporters don't have to like it and can voice our opinion on the subject.

Well exactly. We as Canadian supporters are the ones that fill in the stands and support financially the teams, the Whitecaps in this case. As such the Whitecaps should respond to the likes of their supporters. If us Joe Public dislike a double standard player as Leroux, out should she go!

Its always good to discuss to see just where peoples stated opinion ties in with a logical philosophy, the opinions help to understand where people are coming from the bias and the view.... always good to know about someone.

So when does the logic start?

Obviously the young lady's supporters are offended by such outrageous displays of nationalism on a national team forum. How dare us!!

Here's a question - do you think NYRB/USMNT supporters go crazy with hate if Giuseppe Rossi joined them? Although it could be argued that the difference might be no one thought he would ever consider the USMNT.

As much as I would have liked her to play for us she made a choice. Lots do and we don't like it. That is life in the messed up world of FIFA regulations. It still upsets me and I shudder at the thought of OH playing for the Caps but we must separate pro from NT. Players seldom if ever control where they are born and grow up. They use the resources available to get better at their passions. When they are very young adults they have choices to make that affect their future international careers and earnings.

It doesn't always go our way but we just scooped a first rate keeper for the MNT so we win some and lose some. Currently we lose more than we win.

C'est la vie mon ami, c'est la vie.

PS. Logic? We don't need no stinking logic. This is soccer man!

Here's a question - do you think NYRB/USMNT supporters go crazy with hate if Giuseppe Rossi joined them? Although it could be argued that the difference might be no one thought he would ever consider the USMNT.

Just checked. I'm definitely neither a New York Red Bulls nor a US national team supporter. Therefore, I don't know why I'm supposed to care what they'd think.

Just checked. I'm definitely neither a New York Red Bulls nor a US national team supporter. Therefore, I don't know why I'm supposed to care what they'd

think.

Just wondering because I don't think it would be as big of a deal there. I can't get very worked up about this, yet I'm unquestionably a CWNT supporter and although there's very little chance that I'll be able to ever afford to take time off from work in the foreseeable future to go to M or F Whitecap games, I certainly hope both are successful and would still feel that way regardless of who they signed.

No need for personal attacks Richard. I'm not dismissing your opinion i'm just saying your naturally going to defend the club because you're close to them, and since i'm set in my ways vis-a-vis the Leroux's, Bunbury's et al i don't think debating this is going to lead to anything enlightening for either side.
Not an attack, a statement of fact. I doubt very much that the signing of Leroux will affect attendance at Whitecaps W-Legaue games, quite the opposity I expect since the majority of fans care only about their team and how well they do in the league.

What the hell are you talking about? My opinion has nothing to do with male vs. female and everything to do with my displeasure with the Whitecaps signing a player, regardless of sex, that decided to turn their back on the Canadian NT after having played for us. Your beef with the lack of equal funding gives your opinion on the subject of Ms. Leroux a shade of bias. If the WNT is not as well funded and professional as the Americans it's ok to use that as an excuse? No, it isn't. If she feels American, then fine be American. But don't flip-flop and use up a valuable spot on a Youth NT that could have been used to help another girl achieve her dreams. I'm surprised you don't get that.

Oh, come on and read your own posts "But yeah, beats the B&B down the street from Philipp's Bakery the men had to room in last qualifying cycle." They are separate programs that are quite different so understand that and get over it. Yes, the MNT gets a raw deal too but the question is when are they going to stand up for themselves and confront the CSA. When are they going to produce the results we feel they can? Maybe it's time for Jason de Vos to name names rather than just talk about it as it's getting pretty old.

I'm surprised you don't get it that it's her choice just as it's your choice to turn your back on not buying Canadian products and services only. Each can benefit the country but we have the freedom to decide to what extent our own development or maintenance of life is important to us. Everyone lives in a grey area so don't be a kettle when you don't understand the choices someone else makes. Further, under both countries laws and rights, she as an athlete can decide as she pleases. Whether is Sydney, Sincy, Charmaine or whomever under the same circumstances they as an athlete would have my support to make that choice to seek the best development they can for them-self. It's the same for me with the dual citizen male players that go elsewhere too.

Flip-flop, don't make me laugh as that's such a poor argument or reason when it comes to sports. The sport from top to bottom in a try-out sport. It's not only countries, clubs and teams picking players but it players deciding where the want to go too. Players know this and they respect it. If they don't know it then our youth system has failed them in understanding try-outs is a 2 way street.

Still you dont' get the beef is about how 2 separate programs should be funded. Has nothing to do with it being equal funding but being fair with respect to the programs needs and their performance. It needs to be equal when it comes under Sports Canada and the CCRF as far as both having contracts. From over 10 years the WNT have stated their case but they have never said they want an equal contract as they know their programs are different and separate. For over 10 years the CSA has BS'ed and bullied them and thankfully it's coming to an end very shortly where the CSA will be exposed for what they are in running a NSO.

Archived