Sydney Leroux signs with Vancouver Whitecaps

jpg75

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a load of BS guys, this is effectively pro-level soccer and clubs recruit the best players they can find. It is a business first and foremost. So what if Leroux plays for the US national team, so does Jay DeMerit of their MLS team and nobody boos him. How many of you use iPhones or iPads rather than RIM products - same kind of argument? You attitude is juvenile at best.

So what if Leroux plays for the US national team, so does Jay DeMerit of their MLS team and nobody boos him. How many of you use iPhones or iPads rather than RIM products - same kind of argument? You attitude is juvenile at best.

What part of Surrey is Jay DeMerit from again?

Leroux said she'd play for her homeland and bailed on us for the most cynical, opportunistic reasons. Ironically, given the mediocre results the Americans have been posting lately, we might wind up winning a World Cup without Leroux and she might not win one with the United States.

We all knew the day would eventually come when one of the clubs signed a player who'd already used Canada then turned their back on us. I'd just hoped the Whitecaps wouldn't be the one.

What a load of BS guys, this is effectively pro-level soccer and clubs recruit the best players they can find. It is a business first and foremost. So what if Leroux plays for the US national team, so does Jay DeMerit of their MLS team and nobody boos him. How many of you use iPhones or iPads rather than RIM products - same kind of argument? You attitude is juvenile at best.

This signing is the sporting equivalent of the DND signing Omar Khadr as a defense contractor to teach our boys how to throw a grenade.

The real problem here is that pesky Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It needs to be rewritten so that it no longer applies to elite athletes. That way they can be made slaves, forced to do whatever fans think is best, regardless of the athletes' wants, hopes and dreams. They already sacrifice their body for the sport they love, so it should be no big deal to ask them to sacrifice their soul too.

The real problem here is that pesky Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It needs to be rewritten so that it no longer applies to elite athletes. That way they can be made slaves, forced to do whatever fans think is best, regardless of the athletes' wants, hopes and dreams. They already sacrifice their body for the sport they love, so it should be no big deal to ask them to sacrifice their soul too.

What?

Richard

AlanDouglas

What?

Come on Lord Bob dont you get the humor from these two... regarding the Whitecaps.... here is the question to ask Cheech and Chong ...if Sydney had turned down playing for the BC National team would they be opening there arms in such a warm and loving embrace...... um thought not.

Nope, you are asking a person of Canadian and US citizenship to support their country of birth so it benefits their birth countries NT. How many of us born in Canada only support Canada by buying Canadian made products to support the Canadian economy? Too many kettles in the house here showing their true colors.

This signing is the sporting equivalent of the DND signing Omar Khadr as a defense contractor to teach our boys how to throw a grenade.
More juvenile BS. Come on jpg75, you can do better than that or are you really just a 15 year-old high school kid?

Richard

AlanDouglas

Come on Lord Bob dont you get the humor from these two... regarding the Whitecaps.... here is the question to ask Cheech and Chong ...if Sydney had turned down playing for the BC National team would they be opening there arms in such a warm and loving embrace...... um thought not.

The BC national team? The only criteria I have for players on professional teams (and for the purpose of this argument the Whitecaps W-League team is for all intents and purposes professional), is that they commit to the club, fulfil their contract and perform on the field as the club expects from them. It matters not where they come from, this is the professional sports/entertainment business not your local recreational club.

^

Going further on the professional theme the USWNT is a professional team in a program with a huge budget whereas the CWNT is not and the CSA is BS'ing everyone on how much and how they handle the money.

Fine, but then have the decency to not use the Canadian program to further yourself and then ditch it for the American program. These are National teams, not club teams, you don't just switch allegiances and expect fans to respect your decision. She has the freedom to choose, we have the freedom to not like it and voice our opinions.

As for the Whitecaps, nothing but a cynical business decision with no thought on what type of message they're sending - using Canada has no repercusions. What's next, Whoregreaves as a DP? Thank god, i'm not a Caps fan!

Fine, but then have the decency to not use the Canadian program to further yourself and then ditch it for the American program.

Exactly. A decision made at age 14 should be binding and permanent throughout one's adult life.

It's really incredibly selfish of these players to make decisions based on their own personal dreams and desires. Don't they realise the horrific consequences? It could mean that a team that fans here like to cheer for could possibly have a slightly smaller chance of winning some games!! Well I think that certainly justifies publicly demonising people and anyone who associates with them!

You know what else bothers me? There are people who are born in Canada, who grew up here, took advantage of our schools and health care and roads and CBC radio and other public services, and then moved to other countries. Some of them even post here on these forums and call themselves Canadian soccer fans! Can you believe that? What kind of county do we live in where this is allowed? Canada needs soccer fans here in Canada. We need bums in seats and eyes on the tube for the game to make it. These so-called-fans are putting their own selfish personal desires ahead of the good of Canadian soccer. Why are these whores and traitors tollerated here? Why don't the admins do something about it?!

FYI, Alan Douglas is the Whitecaps' official club statistician.

Thanks for the heads up, but i already knew that, that's why i'm ignoring him. Richard also has a relationship with the club (unofficial photographer?) so i'm not really bothering to engage him as i would expect him to defend the club as well. Coach Rich has a beef with the CSA for underfunding the women's program. Basically all the apologists for Leroux in this thread have an agenda/bias so i'm not really going to take this any further.

Fine, but then have the decency to not use the Canadian program to further yourself and then ditch it for the American program. These are National teams, not club teams, you don't just switch allegiances and expect fans to respect your decision. She has the freedom to choose, we have the freedom to not like it and voice our opinions.

As for the Whitecaps, nothing but a cynical business decision with no thought on what type of message they're sending - using Canada has no repercusions. What's next, Whoregreaves as a DP? Thank god, i'm not a Caps fan!

Amen, could not have stated it better!

The USWNT is a professional team in a program with a huge budget whereas the CWNT is not and the CSA is BS'ing everyone on how much and how they handle the money.
Really, well where is the money for this excursion coming from? The Good Soccer Fairy?

If I hear another guy whine about CSA women's NT funding, I'll upchuck.

Really, well where is the money for this excursion coming from? The Good Soccer Fairy?

If I hear another guy whine about CSA women's NT funding, I'll upchuck.

But Joe! Have team, will travel! The CSA's constant booking of high-class friendlies against quality opposition and their support with full 23-woman rosters is just more proof that the CSA is actually putting Candice Chapman to work mining coal as we speak.

But Joe! Have team, will travel! The CSA's constant booking of high-class friendlies against quality opposition and their support with full 23-woman rosters is just more proof that the CSA is actually putting Candice Chapman to work mining coal as we speak.
Yeah, they look real stressed with the lack of funding. Where's the one with the puppies?

Archived