The McCain New Brunswick Premier Soccer League

whale_31

The New Brunswick Premier Soccer League is happy to announce McCain has come aboard as a title sponsor for the regular season and play-offs.

This is big news for our league as McCain gives us instant credability with other potential sponsors, the media and soccer fans in NB.

The website is www.nbpsl.ca

The schedule will be released on April 15th with opening weekend scheduled for May 8th

We are also on facebook - www.facebook.com/nbpsl and twitter www.twitter.com/nbpsl

Looking forward to a great inagrual season.

so it's still high amateur then?

Is this the league through which New Brunswick's Challenge Cup team qualifies?

Also, do there tend to be spectators aside from players' friends and relatives at these games?

Either way, based on the website, it looks nice, the site itself is a bit nicer than the CSL's, and the league logo is certainly the best I've seen in Canada. Hope it's improving soccer in NB.

so it's still high amateur then?

Is this the league through which New Brunswick's Challenge Cup team qualifies?

Also, do there tend to be spectators aside from players' friends and relatives at these games?

Either way, based on the website, it looks nice, the site itself is a bit nicer than the CSL's, and the league logo is certainly the best I've seen in Canada. Hope it's improving soccer in NB.

Yes, it's high amateur - it's the top level of soccer in the Province. The winner of the league's play-offs will be going to the Challenge Cup in Brossard.

The spectators will be friends and family, local soccer people and we are now trying to promote the league through the youth clubs to increase interest.

We hired an individual to build the website from scratch, should look even better once it's populated with games and players. We also hired someone to design the logo.

It's been awhile since there was a proper Senior A league in NB so we're hoping this one is here for the long term.

Yes, it's high amateur - it's the top level of soccer in the Province. The winner of the league's play-offs will be going to the Challenge Cup in Brossard.

The spectators will be friends and family, local soccer people and we are now trying to promote the league through the youth clubs to increase interest.

We hired an individual to build the website from scratch, should look even better once it's populated with games and players. We also hired someone to design the logo.

It's been awhile since there was a proper Senior A league in NB so we're hoping this one is here for the long term.

So this will be it's first season then?

This is very good news. The strengthening of provincial senior amateur leagues is key to only going to help further development. Gives promising older teens a competitive venue outside of the very short PDL season.

Some nice long term plans also ... adding Dieppe and Sackville will give some geographic balance and more opportunity for all the CIS teams. Adding a "Champ League" in year 3, I'll believe it when I see it.

Just out of interest...how will adding 2 more teams in Greater Moncton/Southeast NB add geographic balance? There's 3 Northern NB teams in Restigouche, Chaleur and Madawaska/Victoria, 2 Freddy teams, 1 SJ team and one Codiac team in Moncton now

I hope the league does well.

There must be an explanation as to why some teams are playing each other on weekday nights. They need to do what NL does and only schedule games on weekends/fridays (unless two teams from St. john's/Pearl/CBS play each other).

Some teams don't want to have games scheduled every weekend. Guys have families and other commitments. By scheduling games during the week, it frees up more weekends.

Fredericton to SJ is only 1 hour, Fredericton to Moncton 1 1/2 hours, no reason why they can't play during the week.

Some teams don't want to have games scheduled every weekend. Guys have families and other commitments. By scheduling games during the week, it frees up more weekends.

Fredericton to SJ is only 1 hour, Fredericton to Moncton 1 1/2 hours, no reason why they can't play during the week.

I hear ya, but with a 12 game sked, surely weekends as a whole are do-able? It's not like they're playing an 18-20 game sked where getting the games all in by end of August is a challenge. (I'm just suggesting this from a player's POV having played in NL and NS)

As an example, with Saint John playing Picaroons on a Monday night. You basically got to bolt from work right at 5 (assuming everyone is a 9-5er which isnt always the case this day and age), get to the field for 7. Play the game which means you're gone 9:30-10 PM and you're home by 11:30 - Midnight. Anyone who works shift work/random hours is going to struggle committing to playing this kind of ball. I know it's impossible to please everyone, but I wouldn't be shocked if both benches during a mid-season, mid-week game, only have 11-14 players max.

At least they don't have the Northern teams travelling down on a weeknight to play. Going doing to St. Lawrence from St. john's on a Wednesday for a 7:30 game is awful!

Just out of interest...how will adding 2 more teams in Greater Moncton/Southeast NB add geographic balance? There's 3 Northern NB teams in Restigouche, Chaleur and Madawaska/Victoria, 2 Freddy teams, 1 SJ team and one Codiac team in Moncton now

I hope the league does well.

Sorry for the late reply ... I guess geographic might be the wrong term; demographic? Fredericton's 85k people (and 2 universities) can get 2 teams while Moncton's 126k and Saint John's 122k can only get 1 team each. The province only has 730k. 730k / 7 teams = 104k people per team? but it doesn't match the city demographics and I don't know how it compares to any other province ( yet;) ). 3 CIS teams and 2 CCAA teams in NB ... does that feed the current 7 teams in the NBPSL.

I guess I've always looked to piggy back on university teams ... coaches, players and facilities are in place, use it. Watching Dieppe drop out and Moncton drop in is a bit of a shame; it could have been a good cross town rivalry.

I'm watching the league again this year (from away) in hopes it continues to grow. I do believe there are other communities that can be serviced. I'd be really curious if PEI teams join and if there was a Maritime Champions League. It all goes toward building a pyramid in Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived