Canada in Copa America ?

jonny63

That is assuming Canada will participate in Copa America. At least people are realistic, thinking this possibility as a wet dream, because there's no logic inviting Canada instead of Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras...

So Mexico is already invited and the USA was basically kicked out by CONMEBOL after they sent a C team to the last Copa America and there is no chance they will be in this tournament.

If Spain decides to accept, and then further gets approval from UEFA it's obviously them but if not the soundbites coming out of early articles are actually making me think it will be a vote within CONMEBOL to decide us or Costa Rica.

Haven't read anything about Honduras being interested or potentially being invited - they do seem logical too.

Man the quote from ssk about Canada expressing interest made my day. Thank you CSA!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't buy that Spain is a serious contender. I firmly believe that COMENBOL wants a beatable team as a guest (Costa Rica or Canada) and not a threat to win the tournament. The only way Spain is a beatable team is if they bring a B side which is pretty clearly not what the organizers want. And I just don't see what would entice Spain to enter the tournament. I doubt COMENBOL wants to write them a huge cheque which is probably what it would take.

I would agree with previous comments that Canada seems to be connecting a lot with federations in South America lately so that might help the cause.

Jason

This may not be the appropriate thread, but out of curiosity has there ever been any discussion of the idea of combining CONCACAF and CONMEBOL? This would make a confederation that would rival UEFA in size and come a close second in quality. Then, a true America's tournament could be held which would compare to the UEFA Cup. I'm sure there would be a lot of reasons why certain people would be against the idea but I can see a lot of benefits to the idea.

If Copa America wants to increase revenue and have more people watching, then Spain is the easy choice. If Spain turns it down, which I think its probably a good chance that they do and if they do accept it will be a B team it would be great if we could go.

I am uncertain whether Spain would go for various reasons. 1) UEFA was against continental tournaments like Copa America and Gold Cup from inviting countries outside of their region and tried taking it up with FIFA 2) As mentionned in other articles Spain has played in tournaments during summer breaks since EURO 08 and the players will want a break.

http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/seleccion-mexicana/noticias/2009/11/23/mexico-podria-quedarse-sin-copa-america-2011

Just read Diario Ole and peruvian newspapers and I don't see Canada not mentioned as a serious candidate. I think the other newspapers jumped the gun and just mentioned Canada as a filler. Sucks though, but who knows..so far Japan is reconsidering, as I'm sure CONMEBOL doesn't want to upset them alot either, since Nissan is a major sponsor of the Copa Sudamericana. Maybe Steve Nash can fly to Asuncion and sign a couple of basketballs and T-shirts and than can at least warrant Canada a possible future invite, since we got screwed in 2001.

This may not be the appropriate thread, but out of curiosity has there ever been any discussion of the idea of combining CONCACAF and CONMEBOL? This would make a confederation that would rival UEFA in size and come a close second in quality. Then, a true America's tournament could be held which would compare to the UEFA Cup. I'm sure there would be a lot of reasons why certain people would be against the idea but I can see a lot of benefits to the idea.

The idea of atleast hosting a Tournament of the Americas was actually thrown around a few months ago. It was discussed on this forum quite a bit. It seems a bit early for a tournament like this, but somtime down the road, I can see this happening.

If I was organizing the Copa America I'd love to have Spain's B side. They would still be a strong team and it would raise the tournament's profile in Spain. I can't see Spain sending their A side. They'll be busy the next two summers in the Euro and Confed Cup and will want to give their players a summer off. Other interesting options would be Ukraine or Poland, who would probably like some competitive matches.

It's tough for a CONCACAF nation to go to two tournaments in the same summer. Another reason that one of them should switch to even numbered years.

The idea of atleast hosting a Tournament of the Americas was actually thrown around a few months ago. It was discussed on this forum quite a bit. It seems a bit early for a tournament like this, but somtime down the road, I can see this happening.

I remember that thread and also read some South American newspapers stating that isn't possible, since Jack Warner would never give up his throne and let CONMEBOL dictate the terms. It's all politics unfortunately and Jack doesn't want to give up his throne and votes from hundreds of Carribean Islands.

• 5 weeks later...
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/04/13/sp-copa-america.html

Spain not going not much of a surprise - they need a break, they've been playing every summer since EURO 08 and will play EURO '12 and Confed Cup in '13 and WC '14.

I really hope Canada gets invited!

As cool as it would be to see Canada go, unless the Reds can win the Gold Cup, they don't deserve to go. It would be an ugly mess.

Canada/Argentina anyone? Remember that? Sure it wasn't the A+ team, but it was hard to watch...

Still the flipside is that it would give CMNT much needed experience against quality opponents, but knowing our luck, they'd end up in a group with Argentina, Mexico and Uruguay... all while playing in Argentina!

Archived