Canada in Copa America ?

jonny63

If we can go to Copa America we go. End of story. You send a more North American-based squad to Gold Cup, giving your Euro guys a bit of a rest before Copa America, and then bring your best Gold Cup players regardless of league down to Copa America to join your Euro-based guys.

So I see something this:

Gold Cup Squad: MLS and lower-level Euro guys (2-5 top u20 and u17 players as well, Teibert, Alemaan, Henry)

Copa America Squad: Best Gold Cup players and BEST European players

So yes, that would mean Atiba, and Simpson (for example) are NOT playing in Gold Cup. You bring in say, Borjan and the u23 GK to the Gold Cup (or call up the lad from Cardiff....or Stillo or....) and leave Lars to rest before Copa America.

You get your "A" team then in Copa, and yes, some guys, such as Dejan Jakovic are playing Gold Cup and Copa America. Who wins in the end?? Canada AND DC United. A smarter, more experienced player, a marketing tool, and longer-term success for them. You leave guys like DeRo, Johnson and JDG for Copa America but replace them with the younger guys we have in MLS. It's a win-win.

You get the chance to go to Copa America, you take it. But yes, we'd have to take our "A" team to Copa, when we can get away with a "A-B-C"-type team in Gold Cup.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we can go to Copa America we go. End of story. You send a more North American-based squad to Gold Cup, giving your Euro guys a bit of a rest before Copa America, and then bring your best Gold Cup players regardless of league down to Copa America to join your Euro-based guys.

So I see something this:

Gold Cup Squad: MLS and lower-level Euro guys (2-5 top u20 and u17 players as well, Teibert, Alemaan, Henry)

Copa America Squad: Best Gold Cup players and BEST European players

So yes, that would mean Atiba, and Simpson (for example) are NOT playing in Gold Cup. You bring in say, Borjan and the u23 GK to the Gold Cup (or call up the lad from Cardiff....or Stillo or....) and leave Lars to rest before Copa America.

You get your "A" team then in Copa, and yes, some guys, such as Dejan Jakovic are playing Gold Cup and Copa America. Who wins in the end?? Canada AND DC United. A smarter, more experienced player, a marketing tool, and longer-term success for them. You leave guys like DeRo, Johnson and JDG for Copa America but replace them with the younger guys we have in MLS. It's a win-win.

You get the chance to go to Copa America, you take it. But yes, we'd have to take our "A" team to Copa, when we can get away with a "A-B-C"-type team in Gold Cup.

I see your point but slightly disagree. I think we should go for best possible squads for both tournaments. I believe we have enough depth to do so. We should go for the win at Gold Cup, we have more chances to get results and Fifa points. I would say bring MLS and Euro players to Gold Cup, then keep best Euro players and replace MLS players by more Euro players for Copa America. Euro players are off season during summer so who cares if Hutch and company stay for another tournament.

They would not go to Copa America for the win obviously, but to get more games and prepare for WCQ. I agree that we will not win against the likes of Argentina, but in theory we shouldn't get destroyed like last time. If I recall, many players came a day before the game and there was only one training session. This time players will have plenty of practices together (including Gold Cup games) before the beginning of Copa America. We might pull off at least one surprise.

Wow that was unexpected even if it is still unlikely. Gotta agree that we're probably not a high priority but even to have a little hope is exciting.

I agree that if they get invited, the program absolutely has to accept and make it work if they are serious about improving - this is the highest calibre tournament Canada will have played in a decade, you just can't turn that down.

A competitive high profile tournament with a round robin game against Messi and co could be just what the program needs to get a guy like Hoilett too.

Wow that was unexpected even if it is still unlikely. Gotta agree that we're probably not a high priority but even to have a little hope is exciting.

I agree that if they get invited, the program absolutely has to accept and make it work if they are serious about improving - this is the highest calibre tournament Canada will have played in a decade, you just can't turn that down.

A competitive high profile tournament with a round robin game against Messi and co could be just what the program needs to get a guy like Hoilett too.

This combined with a good result at Gold Cup will make wonders to the program's image. Could CSA make first contact or is it only by invitation?

This combined with a good result at Gold Cup will make wonders to the program's image. Could CSA make first contact or is it only by invitation?

Agreed, assuming the Copa America games are televised nationally I think the program being that visible all summer could be a real boon for them on a lot of fronts.

Word is that Spain has been informally approached via a higher up in their association who is personal friends with a CONMEBOL higher up (gotta love FIFA) - although I believe UEFA needs to approve it meaning it is far from a sure thing.

I think with the hurdles to their entry and how active their first team is during club season with most of them in champions league/uefa it is more likely that it is a CONCACAF club or possibly a Spain C if CONMEBOL wants that. You have to assume that Honduras or Costa Rica might be more likely being geographically closer and higher ranked than us.

Let's just hope if there is a shot in hell that the CSA is at least making inquiries.

This would be great but I think it's unlikely. While I'm sure that Canada would be a team that has some positives for the organizing committee (decent team but probably wouldn't make it too far, would not demand much), I just think that there would be no appeal to watching them play by the South American audience. But if Canada promises to put a good team together and not a B team they might have a chance.

You have to think if the core of this squad is really committed, they would be willing to do both the Gold Cup and Copa to help in their World Cup push. Players like Hutchinson and Simpson are pretty well established with their clubs and could probably do it. Maybe if you could keep 2/3 of the Gold Cup roster and switched out the 1/3 of players in an unstable club situation, they could bring in some others that never got the call to Gold Cup. I think that could be sold to COMENBOL.

Jason

I see your point but slightly disagree. I think we should go for best possible squads for both tournaments. I believe we have enough depth to do so. We should go for the win at Gold Cup, we have more chances to get results and Fifa points. I would say bring MLS and Euro players to Gold Cup, then keep best Euro players and add more Euro players for Copa America. Euro players are off season during summer so who cares if Hutch and company stay for another tournament.

They would not go to Copa America for the win obviously, but to get more games and prepare for WCQ. I agree that we will not win against the likes of Argentina, but in theory we shouldn't get destroyed like last time. If I recall, many players came a day before the game and there was only one training session. This time players will have plenty of practices together (including Gold Cup games) before the beginning of Copa America. We might pull off at least one surprise.

I hear ya. My first choice is we take the best possible players who are willing and able to participate in both tournaments. But, sadly, this isn't realistic. SO, use Gold Cup for MLS and fringe guys (Matt Lam, ie), and use Copa for the best of GC and Euro guys/top MLS guys.

This would be great but I think it's unlikely. While I'm sure that Canada would be a team that has some positives for the organizing committee (decent team but probably wouldn't make it too far, would not demand much), I just think that there would be no appeal to watching them play by the South American audience. But if Canada promises to put a good team together and not a B team they might have a chance.

You have to think if the core of this squad is really committed, they would be willing to do both the Gold Cup and Copa to help in their World Cup push. Players like Hutchinson and Simpson are pretty well established with their clubs and could probably do it. Maybe if you could keep 2/3 of the Gold Cup roster and switched out the 1/3 of players in an unstable club situation, they could bring in some others that never got the call to Gold Cup. I think that could be sold to COMENBOL.

Jason

^This is what I am suggesting....but maybe 25% play in GC and CA only, not 33% (given that's the difference only between a few players in roster terms).

I haven't seen anyone bring it up yet so I will, we will have a tough time getting our players released for the Copa America if we are invited. Since the Gold Cup is our continental championship the clubs have no choice, but since Copa America is un-official competition for us the clubs would not have to release the players. That's a huge problem for MLS players and anyone playing in Norway or Sweden or any Euro league that starts early and is already in training camp in early July and has a grumpy club.

We should send our B team to the joke Gold Cup (and I do not have to elaborate on the 101 plus reasons), our A team to Copa America, a real tournament. If CSA would have some savvy, they would make agreements with the clubs not to call players to the Gold Cup and certain friendliesin return for release of players for Copa America. These informal arrangemnts are done all the time in football-savvy countries.

I agree, however, that is very unlikely, both because of CSA inefficiency and the fact that we would not be a big draw. If we do come here (I live in Argentina), I would drop everything and go to all the group matches(in Jujuy and Cordoba), maybe even dream of cheering for Canada here in Mendoza for a semi-final! Free Malbec wine for any V´s making it down here!

Why we cant go to Copa...

1. CSA has two teams in World Cup competition in June and July this year u17 boys in Mexico and WNT in Germany.

2. Adding Copa would mean tough choices of who from the Executive of the CSA would travel.. Provinicial presidents are on the list for Mexico, CSA Exec members for WNT in Europe ( the hotels are more luxurious then the Mexican ones ) COPA citys dont offer enough value for the Blazers. ( and no i am not being sarcastic I am dead serious we wont go cause its the guy s getting perks dont want to go )

3. Were is the money to pay for it ? Do you think Copa America is going to pay our frieght ?

Why we cant go to Copa...

1. CSA has two teams in World Cup competition in June and July this year u17 boys in Mexico and WNT in Germany.

2. Adding Copa would mean tough choices of who from the Executive of the CSA would travel.. Provinicial presidents are on the list for Mexico, CSA Exec members for WNT in Europe ( the hotels are more luxurious then the Mexican ones ) COPA citys dont offer enough value for the Blazers. ( and no i am not being sarcastic I am dead serious we wont go cause its the guy s getting perks dont want to go )

3. Were is the money to pay for it ? Do you think Copa America is going to pay our frieght ?

Voyageurs car wash?

The Secretary General of CONMEBOL has just said at a news conference that Costa Rica is the firm favorite, but that no decision made yet. "Never have we considered US, Australia or Spain". Tomorrow there will be a meeting between CONMEBOL, AFA and Traffic (the TV rights holder), and a decision "could" be made then.

------------------

Costa Rica se perfila para reemplazar a Japón en la Copa América

Desde la Conmebol aseguraron que el conjunto tico "es el candidato más firme" a ocupar a la selección nipona, que vive una dura crisis tras el reciente terremoto. Ampliar Foto

El combinado centroamericano es dirigido por el argentino Ricardo La Volpe. (DyN)

Notas relacionadasJapón no jugará la Copa América, ¿viene España?"Tenemos mucho interés en participar" Link lunes, 04 de abril de 2011

El seleccionado que dirige Ricardo La Volpe es el "candidato más firme" a ocupar la vacante en la Copa América Argentina 2011 que dejó Japón, según aseguró el secretario general de la Conmebol, Eduardo Deluca.

"La opción más firme es Costa Rica. Nunca pensamos en España, Estados Unidos o Australia. Mañana habrá una reunión entre los dirigentes de la Conmebol y la AFA y representantes de la empresa Traffic, que tienen los derechos televisivos del certamen, y ahí se decidirá al reemplazante", informó Deluca.

Japón oficializó su deserción a través del presidente de su Federación de Fútbol, Junji Ogura, quien ante la Conmebol y en Asunción de Paraguay argumentó "cuestiones humanitarias" luego del devastador terremoto y tsunami que sufrió su país el 11 de marzo pasado y que dejó 12 mil muertos y más de 15 mil desaparecidos.

El propio Ogura llegará mañana al país desde Paraguay para reunirse con el presidente de la AFA, Julio Grondona, a quien le informará personalmente sobre los motivos de su decisión.

Aunque desde la Conmebol y desde la propia AFA ya informaron su absoluta comprensión por los motivos que desembocaron en la baja de, Ogura alegó un "tema de cortesía" para visitar a Grondona.

En la reunión estarán también dirigentes de la Conmebol y el presidente del Comité Organizador de la Copa América Argentina 2011, José Luis Meiszner, y una vez finalizada Grondona y Ogura darán en conjunto una conferencia de prensa.

Another report had this to add:

Néstor Benítez, vocero de Conmebol, afirmó a la AP en Asunción que “Costa Rica había solicitado anteriormente su participación y también Canadá mostró interés”.

Nestor ... affirmed that "Costa Rica had solicited us previously for their participation, and Canada had demonstrated interest as well."

We should send our B team to the joke Gold Cup (and I do not have to elaborate on the 101 plus reasons), our A team to Copa America, a real tournament.

An "A" squad to an invitational? No thank you. Why is it so few people would rather build what we have in our region instead of coat-tailing another region that apparently can't afford to fill a tournament on their own.

I firmly believe we should be trying to win the Gold Cup, moreso if other countries aren't taking it seriously. The experience of going to the confederations cup would be extremely useful.

That said, I would be happy sending two A- or B+ squads to both of these tournaments. Yes, there is the arguement that we should use this as a chance to have the players playing together, but I think the experience can still be had with 2 or 3 starters missing (indeed this will be the case during WCQ when injuries and/or fickle clubs strike).

I firmly believe we should be trying to win the Gold Cup, moreso if other countries aren't taking it seriously. The experience of going to the confederations cup would be extremely useful.

That is assuming Canada will participate in Copa America. At least people are realistic, thinking this possibility as a wet dream, because there's no logic inviting Canada instead of Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras...

I haven't seen anyone bring it up yet so I will, we will have a tough time getting our players released for the Copa America if we are invited. Since the Gold Cup is our continental championship the clubs have no choice, but since Copa America is un-official competition for us the clubs would not have to release the players. That's a huge problem for MLS players and anyone playing in Norway or Sweden or any Euro league that starts early and is already in training camp in early July and has a grumpy club.

In theory, releasing the Canadian players to Copa America is a much better training camp for them lol.

That said, I would be happy sending two A- or B+ squads to both of these tournaments. Yes, there is the arguement that we should use this as a chance to have the players playing together, but I think the experience can still be had with 2 or 3 starters missing (indeed this will be the case during WCQ when injuries and/or fickle clubs strike).

+1

^^^I'm not sure this is true. The CSA has been cozying up to CONMEBOL for some time now: 2 friendlies against Venezuela, 1 against Peru, 1 against Brazil, 1 against Argentina, now one against Ecuador in the last few years -not to mention multiple friendlies with Argentina at the U20 level. We've actually acquitted ourselves reasonably well other than the 5-0 match. My sense is that South America wants to, and is the only confederation capable of, maintaining a balance of power vis-a-vis Europe. The Copa America needs to challenge Euro for the second most prestigeous tourney in the world and the way to do this is increase television viewing across the globe. Canada has 33 million viewers and have demonstrated that they will tune in to watch football. Only Mexico and the US can compete on this front.

^^^I'm not sure this is true. The CSA has been cozying up to CONMEBOL for some time now: 2 friendlies against Venezuela, 1 against Peru, 1 against Brazil, 1 against Argentina, now one against Ecuador in the last few years -not to mention multiple friendlies with Argentina at the U20 level. We've actually acquitted ourselves reasonably well other than the 5-0 match. My sense is that South America wants to, and is the only confederation capable of, maintaining a balance of power vis-a-vis Europe. The Copa America needs to challenge Euro for the second most prestigeous tourney in the world and the way to do this is increase television viewing across the globe. Canada has 33 million viewers and have demonstrated that they will tune in to watch football. Only Mexico and the US can compete on this front.

Agreed and I think the main reason we are in the running is because of our population. The US is out of the picture, I think we are the next best thing in terms of the TV + talent combo, I think it would be positive for them to have an english/french country like us compete and stretch their coverage all the way to the north but I still think Costa Rica will get it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/05/spain-japan-copa-america-argentina

The world champions Spain have been invited to play in the Copa America following the withdrawal of Japan, according to the Spanish football federation's president Angel María Villar.

"Yesterday we received the official invitation, and we don't rule it out," Villar said at an event in Barcelona.

"Next week or the week after we will determine at a meeting of the board of directors whether we will accept the invitation."

Archived