Canada in Copa America ?

jonny63

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP)—Japan withdrew from this year’s Copa America on Monday, leaving the 12-nation tournament with only 11 teams just three months before it is due to start.

The president of the Japanese Football Association Junji Ogura said the most important thing was for his country to rebuild after the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck northeast Japan on March 11.

“The priority at this moment is to continue saving lives and rebuilding the country after the earthquake and tsunami,” Ogura said after meeting with officials of CONMEBOL, South American football’s governing body.

CONMEBOL president Nicolas Leoz said he would meet with other continental leaders to discuss inviting a replacement.

CONMEBOL spokesman Nestor Benitez suggested Costa Rica or Canada as possible replacements but said nothing had been decided. “CONMEBOL will make a final decision relying on the consensus of its members,” Benitez said.

The Copa America will be played July 1-24 in Argentina. Both Japan and Mexico had planned to send teams largely made up of youth players to the tournament, with Mexico’s top team competing in the Gold Cup—the championship of North America, Central America and the Caribbean, which will be held in June.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-copaamerica-japanout

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP)—Japan withdrew from this year’s Copa America on Monday, leaving the 12-nation tournament with only 11 teams just three months before it is due to start.

The president of the Japanese Football Association Junji Ogura said the most important thing was for his country to rebuild after the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck northeast Japan on March 11.

“The priority at this moment is to continue saving lives and rebuilding the country after the earthquake and tsunami,” Ogura said after meeting with officials of CONMEBOL, South American football’s governing body.

CONMEBOL president Nicolas Leoz said he would meet with other continental leaders to discuss inviting a replacement.

CONMEBOL spokesman Nestor Benitez suggested Costa Rica or Canada as possible replacements but said nothing had been decided. “CONMEBOL will make a final decision relying on the consensus of its members,” Benitez said.

The Copa America will be played July 1-24 in Argentina. Both Japan and Mexico had planned to send teams largely made up of youth players to the tournament, with Mexico’s top team competing in the Gold Cup—the championship of North America, Central America and the Caribbean, which will be held in June.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-copaamerica-japanout

I think I just cremed my pants.

I think I just cremed my pants.

just about did too, I hate getting my hopes up but could you imagine! Playing in the second or third best international event soccer has...

edit:

Our A team would not be willing to play two tournaments back to back. It would be 2nd stringers getting smacked around like the yanks in 2007

It would cause some difficulties but I think we would have a pretty good team considering this is highest level any of them would have played at that point and time.

In keeping with the Paul James comments of late this is something that we should really try and make happen. At best, the Gold Cup final is on the 25th of June and the semi final on the 22nd. It would be a good test of our depth.

That's exactly it. It provides a real challenge for our depth players because a lot of our first teamers will decline the call up. And that's ok.

The US routinely uses tournaments like this to evaluate the depth players and where they fit in. Coincidentally it also gets these players competitive caps and ties them to the program.

the tournment is from 1 - 24 Jul. Canada's games would be on 2, 7 Jul vs Colombia and Bolivia in Jujuy and then the rematch vs Argentina on the 11th in Cordoba. Honestly, the men don't get too many games, and how many of the first teamers would refuse to play in Argentina? (yeah it would be chilly) This would help get the team better prepared and cohesive for the WCQs and give Friend more opportunities to try and score a goal. ;)

An opportunity to try out players in a competitive environment, maybe cap tie some players, maybe steal a draw and earn some FIFA points, maybe get more attention to our national program....

Lots to be gained if we're involved IMO.

Our top player (and more importantly their clubs) are not going to want to give up their entire summer to play in 2 international tournaments. If we had depth, we could sent split squads or A and B teams. But we don't. Could you image PSV's reaction to hearing that Hutchinson would be playing through June AND July!

I would love to see it happen and I think it would really benefit the team. If the CSA can figure out some way to make this work logistically, that would be so awesome!

I honestly think we could get results vs. Colombia/Bolivia... but Argentina in Argentina LOL at least its the last group game

I think we could definitely put 2 teams together, we'd just have to weaken our Gold Cup squad

Gold Cup XI

------------------Gerba-------------------------

Simpson--------Hutchinson----------------Hume

------------Johnson---Dunfield-----------------

De Jong-----Hainault----Jakovic----Ledgerwood

----------------Borjan--------------------------

Copa America:

-----------------Friend----------------------------

Teibert-----------De Rosario---------------Jackson

----------De Guzman---Bernier------------------

Klukowski---McKenna---Straith----Stalteri

----------------Hirschfeld--------------------------

Switch accordingly or whatever but that's two good XIs if you ask me... add some guys like Ricketts, Issey, Gage, Peters, Attakora, Pozniak, Jazic?, Imhof?, Radzinski?, Sutton, Haber?, Cann, Edgar, McCallum (hey he had a goal in SA!), Occean, Uccello, Beaulieu Bourgault, Hoilett(Copa America wouldnt hurt our chances?), Sidra, Zavarise.. Im sure I could go on with some other names edit: yup Pacheco

Sure our depth isn't great but it is a lot better than last cycle or what we could have put together in 2007. The CSA should definitely look into this.

^ Putting two teams together defeats the purpose come WCQ though. If we are going to do both, we should have our top team for both, clubs be damned. This way there are absolutely no excuses come WCQ as this team would be as prepped as it ever could be.

We want our top players playing together as much as possible. Plus, it is unlikely that we would go to the final in the Gold Cup and then turn around and go to the final in the Copa America (and I'm an eternal optimist) so this will not take up all of the players' preseason. If the players are serious about wanting games they better show up when an opportunity like this arises.

It would be great if we could keep them together... can you imagine a 2 month training camp with competitive matches. I'm more concerned about the MLS players than I am the european ones, at least they aren't missing matches.

We should be focusing on the Gold Cup. If we get the invite we should have our A team for the Gold Cup and then get the strongest team possible in the Copa America. It will be tough to get a result vs Colombia if its their A team, Bolivia are'nt that good and we can get a result, as Keegan said Argentina in Argentina is scary.

It would be great if we could keep them together... can you imagine a 2 month training camp with competitive matches. I'm more concerned about the MLS players than I am the european ones, at least they aren't missing matches.

No way MLS clubs let players go for both, there's just no way. Gold Cup means far more to us so they'll get that, but not for Copa America.

Read this news a couple of days ago. Firstly the reason, why Japan was backing out, was because CONMEBOL wasn't happy that Japan was only bringing there U-23 team and not there A-team, like they promised. This infuriated CONMEBOL and the JFA, decided to just drop out and not piss off more people down south. The Earthquake news is just a polite excuse to withdraw, as Japan was burning bridges, long before that. I'm sure CONMEBOL will take Costa Rica first than Canada second, if Costa Rica brings their A-team, as that is a key requirement for invitees. Lately, Mexico was threatening to take their U-23 team and CONMEBOL threatened not to invite them again. I think they reached a mutual agreement, as Mexico didn't want to lose the Copa Libertadores spots in the process. If Canada does get the green light, I hope they bring there A-team, for many reasons, particularly gelling as a team, not getting blown out and more exposure for the lads. If not, Canada will be paying dearly like the Yanks did in 2004, when they brought a B-C team and got demolished and blacklisted from CONMEBOL for bringing a poor side.

I remember reading somewhere (SCG, I think) that Honduras would send a team without players abroad at the Gold Cup. And an A-team at the friendlies that are played at the same time. I don't think we can send something close to an A-team at the Copa America. Honduras want to do it and they probably will.

And there's history: didn't Honduras elminate Brazil in 2001?

It's a pipe dream, but I'd love to see Canada there.

As for Spain (or any European team), I seriously doubt they will. There is Euro 2012 qualifying going on throughout the summer.

I can see a Central American team getting the invite. Honduras maybe, since they qualified for the World Cup in 2010, and I think they're 3rd ranked in CONCACAF.

Or maybe another Asian team - Australia? Korea?

Archived