Caps vs. SKC - Apr. 2nd

Tuscan

Awesome game, entertaining match.

We maybe should rue some missed chances in the 1st half that might of got us the 3 points.

But one word stands out this game and that's, CHARACTER. This club is showing it in spades early on. They could of easily folded up after the 3rd goal, but instead kicked up a couple notches, and came feet from a 4th goal.

DC, Camilo, Khaflan, Rochat, Knight, Leathers, and Koffie and looked great tonight. Harris had a solid 2nd half but I thought he was showed shades of inneffectivness in the 1st half though turned it around unlike in Philly.

All around though solid game great atmosphere from what it looked on, pity I couldn'y of been there behind that south end.

3 games 4 points, lets keep it rolling TT.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2) We really looked bad at CB today. Boxall and Janicki just didn't have the communication down. I think both will develop but we need someone in the middle with a lot of experience.

Hard to judge fully. Janicki was injured early, and by his own admission should have come out and half time and blames himself for the last 2 goals. Even so, I don't know how much we'll see this combo with Akloul now in the mix.

Great comeback - really thought the Caps should have had a goal in the first half so good to see them scrape out some points. The 5 minutes of injury time was nice and deserved considering the KC time wasting - glad to see it backfire on them.

2) We really looked bad at CB today. Boxall and Janicki just didn't have the communication down. I think both will develop but we need someone in the middle with a lot of experience.

I guess the question is who will be DeMerit's regular CB partner.

Hard to judge fully. Janicki was injured early, and by his own admission should have come out and half time and blames himself for the last 2 goals. Even so, I don't know how much we'll see this combo with Akloul now in the mix.

He is honest about it and that is a good sign. If an injury keeps you below a certain level you should sub out or if no subs are left let your teammates know so they can cover for you. You become a pylon but better than nothing. He has a lot to learn but his heart and honesty are not in question. As much as I like Rochat at LB I don't think you can have 2 inexperienced players at CB. With Demeritt and Akloul we have good strength at CB I just hope that they aren't both injured at the same time again. Last week we were much stronger in the back and Janicki played a very strong game. Problem is with Rochat at CB our left side was weak.

Oh well we got a point in one hell of a character building game for the team.

Yeah, Akoul is a ball playing CB, he has a nice first touch for a Central defender.

Akoul and DeMerit will be a great mixture in the middle.

Boxall and Janicki are not gonna be the guys who end up in the middle unless they are forced to. I even think Rochat is also great in the middle if called upon, but like murph says when rochat slides over we lose him wide left. I rather rochat just play LB and cover the CB more often if it's like Janicki or Boxall there.

**** I ****ed up the TFC game thread title, it's April 2nd isn't it. Gddamnit. Too. Much. Unibrew.

Hey, looking for a stream first and foremost. I will be checking actively as I got buds comin over to watch this ****.

Anyway, Caps take on Kansas City today. I envy all you boys out West for being able to go see this live. Two weekends ago was one of the best matches I've ever been to. Anyway, I predict a relatively uneventful 1-0 win for Vancity.

I bet you're happy your prediction didn't happen! There is nothing more exciting than a comeback when it's your team that does it. That was a pretty impressive display.

Like the radio announcer said, the game was looking like one of the best played 0-3 losses that you could have. And then it turned into one of the best 3 goal comebacks that you could have.

I hadn't been impressed by Khalfan. He made a fan out of me today.

I wasn't sold on Atiba Harris, though I did respect his toughness after all the goon tackles he took from the Bimbos. But Harris is now making a fan out of me.

I think Camillo made everyone a fan. So . . . this team seems to have several possible offensive pairs it can succeed with: Hassli & Harris, Hassli and Camillo, Harris & Camillo. And we haven't even seen Salgado play yet . . .

And what can you say about Davide Chiumiento. That was a pretty good disply from a guy medically limited to 20 minutes of playing time.

Leathers, Boxall, Nolly, and Rochat all had good games. With Dunfield you get the odd bad pass, since he makes so many. Koffie and Knight were decent.

This was not only good football, it was also entertaining football. If there is anyone watching this time, but not willing to pay to watch a game, what more is it going to take?

I am more concerned about CMNT quality.The touch is there and he is still young. Just saying. I think that this one has the potential be our most frustating loss given our inability to score. Obviously he has lots to prove, but I have a very bad feeling. He looks like his dad on the ball.

I am long since done with pining over players we lose, just an observation.

It's understandable that you would be, if we've "lost" you to Boston ;)

I can't believe I gave up on the game at the 70th minute to do some work around the house - I've learned my lesson!

I think it's beautiful that the people leaving the stadium got their just reward by missing what may be the only 3 goal comeback the Caps will pull of for years.

We could have had the 3 points but I don't care...that was an amazing game to experience live. So glad I got to witness it. Every single person leaving that game was seriously in awe.

Also was glad that the people around me (my seats are not in the Southside) booed Bunbury absolutely ruthlessly once they found out that he could have played for Canada.

Great stuff off of The Province's Weber's twitter feed:

Janicki blamed himself for all 3 goals. Said he should have come off at half with a hip pointer. Stand up guy. 1st was really Nolly's gaffe. about 12 hours ago via web

Davide: "Today was incredible. I was impressed that all the supporters they didn't go. In Europe, 60-70 minutes, 3-0, everybody goes home."

To be honest I have to fault Rochat for the Kamara goal. He left him totally unmarked on the left at the top of the box. Nolly was yelling and pointing for someone to go cover Kamara. Rochat looked back at Kamara but decided to ignore him and steyed his ground marking noone before the ball was crossed in the from Nolly's right. Only after the ball went to Kamara did Rochat move toward him but by then it was too late. Not sure where Janicki was on the play but in my mind Kamara was Rochat's man.

That was an awesome comeback for sure. One of the most exciting live sports events I've been a part of. It was painful seeing them going down 3-0 and watching Bunbury taunt the crowd.

I don't think KC played that well. Our defence gave them way to many opportunities at goal and they finally connected just before the half. It seemed the Caps were too ready for half time. That same mentality continued through the second half. There was some hard work in the midfield but way too many giveaways and errant passes. The back line was not solid at all and KC took full advantage of the opportunities we gave them.

That said, Teitur made the right subs and brought in some energy and creativity in the midfield and KC stopped playing after their 3rd goal. KC was seriously lacking in the conditioning department. Even with all the time wasting, I was surprised to see all the cramping on the KC side. The Caps just took over the game and were full value for the tie and if they would have connected in the first half, should have had all 3 points.

Other points... Atiba is a beast and takes so much abuse. Ref totally missed a blatant foul on him on a left wing run (should have been a yellow). I'm surprised he lasted all 90 mins. Looking forward to a full and healthy squad on Wednesday.

I think it's beautiful that the people leaving the stadium got their just reward by missing what may be the only 3 goal comeback the Caps will pull of for years.

Umm, I was watching on TV, if I had been at the game I'd have stayed. I've never left a live sporting event early in my life except for getting ejected by a youth soccer referee.

Wow. That last bit was electric.

Say what you will about the Caps so far (only 1-1-1, haven't played the strongest opponents), but they sure have made the most of their two home dates. I can't see anyone who went to either of those two matches who wouldn't want to come back again.

Chiumiento has creativity and vision that you simply don't see at the MLS level. Health, obviously, is the key, but if he even plays 50% of the minutes this year he'll create a lot of goals.. Koffie was really solid in midfield. Dunfield had some sloppy passes, but then again he put in that great ball to Chiumiento to set up Camilo for the 3rd goal. Harris kept working hard, took his goal nicely, and was critical in the 3rd.

As much as this team was crying out for strikers a few months ago, it seems they now have lots of options (Hassli, Camilo, Harris, not to mention Salgado).

Archived