CONCACAF U20 WCQ - Canada vs. Costa Rica April 1st, 2011

jpg75

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who are the players that would've changed the results?

I'm all for criticizing a coach players selection but I don't know much about the players that aren't there. Apart from Teibert I don't know a player who could've make a difference.

Michael Cox, Joseph Di Chiara, Josh Janniere, Oscar Cordon are a few I think of

Without passing judgment on whether he should or shouldn't be with the team, Ashtone Morgan would have helped with the ass-kicking we took down the wing today.

But is he the difference between 3 goals and none? Highly doubtful. Not unless Morgan is the next best world Superstar. You can't bridge that gap with a single player.

+1

For instance, look at our utter lack of creativity in the midfield, Oscar Cordon wouldn't have been an improvement? really?

Michael Cox seemed to rip it up last year against various quality opponents for FC Edmonton, does he get one invite to a camp? nope. Janniere just signed for the reigning MLS champs, was he on Gazzola's radar? nope. I believe Gazzola said after the preperation camp he was impressed with Thompson at the back. It was clear that the player most out his league was Thompson when watching both matches.

I'm not just critizing player selection, I'm critizing the fact the in both games his team didn't seem properly motivated from the start of each game to come out and play and the system they employ doesn't seem to work so why not try alternatives. Our exhibtion games set off alarm bells early, why could the u17 USA men's team draw with MLS sides when our 20 side was getting our ass handed to us by D.C united?

I'm not trying to be a Miro, but I feel that this performance could be seen coming in advance. And there seems to be a recent trend here that if there is criticism directed at an under performing coach, automatically people start getting defensive and start yelling Miro everywhere. Yes Gazzola doesn't have best player pool to work with, but some previous u20 coaches have done a lot more with comparable talent levels. The reason our men's program in general has underachieved for so long is partially due to lack of accountability and I for one don't feel progress is made by saying "oh well, what can you do, we couldnt have done any better."

+1

For instance, look at our utter lack of creativity in the midfield, Oscar Cordon wouldn't have been an improvement? really?

Michael Cox seemed to rip it up last year against various quality opponents for FC Edmonton, does he get one invite to a camp nope? Janniere just signed, or is about to sign for the reigning MLS champs, was he on Gazzola's radar? nope.

I'm not just critizing player selection, I'm critizing the fact the in both games his team didn't seem properly motivated from the start and the system they employ doesn't seem to work so why not try alternatives. Our exhibtion games set off alarm bells early, why could the u17 USA men's team draw with MLS sides we were getting our ass handed to us by D.C united?

I'm not trying to be a Miro, but I feel that this performance could be seen coming in advance. And there seems to be a recent trend here that if there is criticism directed at an under performing coach, automatically people start getting defensive and start yelling Miro everywhere. Yes Gazzola doesn't have best player pool to work with, but some previous u20 coaches have done a lot more with comparable talent levels. The reason our men's program has underachieved for so long is partially due to lack of accountability and I for one don't feel progress is made by saying "oh well, what can you do, we couldnt have done any better."

I think what most of us have been doing is being cautious about criticizing a coach for games that we didn't see.

I'll give you an example, plenty of people here were criticizing Sean Fleming and saying how bad a coach he is and then he gets us to our first U17 WC in 16 years.

The only coach I usually find comfortable to criticize is the MNT coach because we can see the games and we know more about the players.

About the players listed, is one a starter for a pro team? Maybe one of them could have made a difference but I'm not too sure in the gap between them and the players that were selected ahead of them.

People here have been complaining for years about players selection in our youth national teams and yet you rarely see someone outside the system (Youth NT players pool) making it to the big stage.

Anyways, I hope the boys can somehow shock Mexico on Tuesday.

I think what most of us have been doing is being cautious about criticizing a coach for games that we didn't see.

I'll give you an example, plenty of people here were criticizing Sean Fleming and saying how bad a coach he is and then he gets us to our first U17 WC in 16 years.

The only coach I usually find comfortable to criticize is the MNT coach because we can see the games and we know more about the players.

About the players listed, is one a starter for a pro team? Maybe one of them could have made a difference but I'm not too sure in the gap between them and the players that were selected ahead of them.

People here have been complaining for years about players selection in our youth national teams and yet you rarely see someone outside the system (Youth NT players pool) making it to the big stage.

That's a well reasoned and thoughtful response. The only aspect I disagree with is the notion that the player selection system in this country couldn't have been so bad because you rarely saw someone outside the system making it to the big stage. Could it be because, up until now, there was no way to make it on the big stage without being scouted in international competition because there was no professional soccer opportunities for youths in this country?

TFC, the Whitecaps and the Impact will now prove what type of job national youth team coaches are doing in identifying talent now that there are other opportunities for kids in this country to make it in the game.

All good alternatives. I'll add MF Emmett O'Connor and Forwards Emery Welshman and Simon Gomez. These players are all well regarded by American College scouts and their offensive numbers dwarfed the 2 assists that Jordan Ongaro put up last year. It has been suggested to me that in a lot of cases the CSA/Youth coaches are unaware of College players that were not in the Provinical All-Star and/or NTC programs and that it takes a College coach sending an email to recommend the player for him to get called up.

Ya they are complaining and the reason are clear Miro is right to be one that complains he cares but you guy turn your cheeks on him just like wanting to ignor my comments because the truth hurts.\

do not worry miro after the under 20 rounds ends on tuesday and again we fail, then after we fail again qualifying in the the w/c stage qualifing rounds heads will role starting with the new CSA choice makers as money talks bul**** walks at those selection these coaches are making poor choices.

All good alternatives. I'll add MF Emmett O'Connor and Forwards Emery Welshman and Simon Gomez. These players are all well regarded by American College scouts and their offensive numbers dwarfed the 2 assists that Jordan Ongaro put up last year..

Interesting that you mentioned that. I was actually looking up his stats last night. And I found out that he didn't play very much for San Diego State last year. I skimmed through several game summaries and he was mostly used as a late sub. SDSU was ranked 49th. Should point out that the players you mentioned play at schools ranked much much lower (101 and 150th)

This is kind of what i was getting at with my earlier comments about the player selections and the players chosen to start. Yes, I thread carefully when it comes to this topic because we are talking players that we have seldom seen. I mentioned the absences from injuries and club versus country (Hoilet, Lindsay,Morgan... all three are very good) but i also mentioned a guy like Cordon or several of the recent U20's who signed pro contacts. Most are not there, so how can someone with pro exposure be overlooked in favor of someone who is an amateur? or how a a guy like Stinson who played college ball last year and is now pro be sitting on the bench while others who don't have the same pedigree are staring ahead of him. It took me 30 seconds of seeing Osorio to wonder why he didn't start in the first game.

Like I said, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the guys who makes these decisions. But its still a a head scratcher. The weird thing is that: six months ago, I was saying how I was really looking forward to this tournament because there was the prospect of some really good players that I got to see a bit and/or heard great things and then when the names were announced for the camp, i was wondering "well where are those guys?".. " i dont know know these guys they choose"...."This must be just an evaluation camp only"

the CSA/Youth coaches are unaware of College players that were not in the Provinical All-Star and/or NTC programs and that it takes a College coach sending an email to recommend the player for him to get called up.

Point taken. And, I can understand that dilema. Its hard to choose someone you haven't seen or are unaware of and the players are too spread out and you cant possible follow them all. But with the clubs and their academies, they are kind of doing the dirty work for you and yet, and thats why we long yearned for pro club academies.

Yet, they still chose several college guys and players oustide the country (Europe or South America)whom they couln't have know very much of.

I thought that the experience and blue print of the U17 successes would have rubbed off on the U20.

Archived