USL Pro league-news and information

Alberto7

I thought I would start a thread where people can post info and news about USL Pro teams.

Tony Donatelli, formerly of the Impact, has signed with Rochester Rhinos:

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/509594.html

Charleston Battery have made several signings including ex Chicago Fire keeper Andrew Dykstra

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/510935.html

Thoughts? Comments? Other news?

Some basic info on the league:

15 teams in 3 divisions-American, National and International

American:Charleston Battery, Charlotte Eagles, Orlando City, Richmond Kickers, Wilmington Hammerheads

National: Dayton Dutch Lions, FC New York, Harrisburg City Islanders, Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Rochester Rhinos

International: Los Angeles Blues, Antigua Barracuda FC, Sevilla Puerto Rico, River Plate Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico United

All teams play 24 games, most within their division.

Most of the teams here have a long history in the USL at the USL1 or USL2 or PDL level. Not sure how well the International division is going to work, especially with Los Angeles being so far away from all the other teams but I think the other divisions are well thought out. Rochester and Charleston are probably going to dominate this league.

Personally, I don't think the NASL will last very long especially once Montreal leaves. I can foresee the day when the remaining NASL teams will re-join the USL.

What do you all think?

I agree....NASL teams will re-join USL pro or vice versa. The two can't compete with each other successfully. MLS will then buy them all up under their umbrella! :)

You guys do understand that USL Pro is a Div3 league while NASL is Div2 right? They don't compete.

You guys do understand that USL Pro is a Div3 league while NASL is Div2 right? They don't compete.

That means absolutely nothing. The USL decided not to try for Div 2 because of the USSF's new guidelines which they knew they could never meet. The NASL is temporarily sanctioned as a Div 2 league and they do not meet all the guidelines. Once Montreal leaves, I'm sure a couple of other teams will fold and the remiander will make a deal with USL to form a new league or join the existing one. Whether this league is "officially" a Div 2 league will be a matter of semantics. It will be below MLS, that is all that will count. The current NASL is barely standing. The 5 or 6 teams that will survive this year will never be able to continue alone.

I've always thought it interesting how the USSF and CSA for that matter let leagues compete against one another. The league gets structured after the teams join up. I always thought it should be the other way around, teams joining a league. I'm still not sure what success will look like for the USLPro?

I've always thought it interesting how the USSF and CSA for that matter let leagues compete against one another.

What leagues are competing against one another? USLPro and who? The CSL maybe since some are claiming that they are a D3 league.

As for what success will look like for USLpro? I would suggest that USLPro will be a success if, in five years, they still exist with the same or greater number of participating teams and at least 75% of the teams in the league at kickoff in 2011 are still playing in USLPro or higher leagues.

I've always thought it interesting how the USSF and CSA for that matter let leagues compete against one another....

There is a very big difference in sanctioning standards between USL Pro and the NASL so despite all the recent boardroom politics I don't think it's valid to describe them as competitors if USL Pro sticks with D3 and NASL is able to survive at D2. If anything the real competition is likely to be between the PDL and USL Pro economic models. As MLS moves towards academy teams and home grown players it will be interesting to see the extent to which PDL and NCAA scholarships remain a pathway to MLS. What remains to be seen is if the USSF's new D2 standards have set the bar so high that it won't be possible to find a sufficient number of franchises to keep the league going but presumably if that were to happen the USSF might be persuaded to ease up on things a bit.

• 1 month later...

Just looking at a couple of crazy scores from the past week:

Antigua Barracuda beats Puerto Rico United 7-0 on four goals by ex-Impact player Peter Byers.

Richmond Kickers beat Dayton Dutch Lions 6-0 on Saturday. The Dutch Lions played in the PDL last year and it shows!!

Crazy, crazy league.

• 2 weeks later...

The three Puerto Rican teams are out !! No surprise there at all. Just what were they thinking involving teams that already play as part of another league. The remaining 12 teams are going to be realigned in new conferences and have new schedules.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/524777.html

USL Reforms Agreement with PRSL

Three PRSL teams removed from 2011 USL PRO schedule

USL News Release

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

TAMPA, Fla. – USL announced today that it has formally removed the three Puerto Rico Soccer League (PRSL) teams from the 2011 USL PRO schedule.

PRSL teams Puerto Rico United, River Plate Puerto Rico, and Sevilla FC Puerto Rico were participating in USL PRO as part of an agreement between the two leagues to grow professional soccer in Puerto Rico. Due to severe economic difficulties and serious unforeseen medical situations involving owners from two of the three PRSL teams, the teams are unable to continue to meet league standards and obligations.

“In the best interests of USL PRO and its teams, it was necessary to remove the three PRSL teams,” USL CEO Alec Papadakis said. “USL PRO has established high standards which are an integral component of the league model, and we are determined to preserve the integrity of these standards on and off the field. Dealing proactively with this situation allows us to reset our daily focus on supporting the efforts of our USL PRO teams in maintaining the league’s position as the strongest, best operated domestic league below MLS.”

Each USL PRO team will continue to play 24 regular season games. All USL PRO games involving PRSL teams will continue to count towards the league standings with future games to be rescheduled amongst the 12 teams. Specific reschedule and realignment details will be publicly released later this week.

“Although disappointed we are unable to move forward as originally planned with the PRSL teams, we will continue to explore future initiatives that can benefit both the PRSL and USL,” USL President Tim Holt said. “In the immediate term, the priority is ensuring that the early-season success experienced by the majority of our USL PRO teams in terms of fan support, corporate sponsorship, and the emergence of a new class of exciting young players is sustained through the rest of the 2011 season.”

Call me crazy. I wonder if USL or NASL have ever considered adding MEXICAN teams? That being said - which CANADIAN cities are able to step-up ASAP to replace those 3 PR clubs? Victoria, Hamilton.....Winnipeg? In 2012 or 2013 at latest?

its really unfortunate but pro soccer below MLS is really struggling south of the border these days. Never really understood how this international division arrangement was going to be workable so not entirely surprised it tanked a few weeks into the season.

USSF really needs to work proactively with their leagues to try to stablilize the situation because it is very important for the development of the sport that leagues at D2 and D3 be viable and fairly healthy (and ideally integrated)

Call me crazy. I wonder if USL or NASL have ever considered adding MEXICAN teams?

Crazy only for the Mexicans. They have a fully-functioning league system. There would be no advantage to them to playing in a North American league.

Changes in schedule and divisions announced:

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/525416.html

USL PRO Schedule Revisions Announced

Adjustments made to divisional alignment

USL News Release

Thursday, May 12, 2011

TAMPA, Fla. – USL announced the revised schedule for USL PRO today, with the Antigua Barracuda FC joining the American Division and the Los Angeles Blues joining the National Division as part of the adjusted divisional alignment resulting in two, six-team divisions. The change was made necessary by the removal of three Puerto Rico Soccer League teams from the 2011 schedule earlier this week.

The revised schedule for the remainder of the 2011 season is available on www.uslsoccer.com. Each USL PRO team will continue to play 24 regular season games, and all games involving PRSL teams will continue to count towards the league standings. The schedule was revised for the 12 USL PRO teams with existing home dates and travel considerations as the primary factors.

USL also announced minor alterations to the USL PRO Game of the Week schedule on FOX Soccer. The Friday, June 24 game will now feature the Charleston Battery at the Wilmington Hammerheads (8 p.m. ET), while Antigua Barracuda FC will travel to FC New York on Friday, July 1 (8 p.m. ET), the Los Angeles Blues will play host to the Dayton Dutch Lions on Friday, July 15 (11 p.m. ET), and Los Angeles will be featured at Wilmington on Friday, August 5 (7 p.m. ET).

The 2011 USL PRO playoffs will continue as planned with eight teams advancing following the conclusion of the regular season. The top four teams each from the American Division and National Division will advance to four single-game Division Semifinals taking place Friday-Sunday, August 19-21. The single-game Division Finals will be played a week later, with the 2011 USL PRO Championship, hosted by the highest remaining seed, to be played Saturday, September 3. One Division Semifinal, a Division Final and the USL PRO championship game will be televised nationally on FOX Soccer.

Archived