MLS Reserve League, Results and Discussion

MM2

Vancouver opens their Reserve League season losing 2-1 in San Jose.

San Jose Earthquakes (1-0-0) at Vancouver Whitecaps FC (0-1-0)

March 22, 2011 – Nutrilite Training Facility

Attendance: N/A

Scoring Summary: VAN--Gashi 1 (Tan 1, Camilo 1) 8; SJ—Own goal 52, Luzunaris 1 (McLoughlin 1, Dawkins 1) 64

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC – Joe Cannon, Wes Knight (Nizar Khalfan 55), Kevin Harmes, Bilal Duckett, Blake Wagner (La’Vere Corbin-Ong 72), Philippe Davies, Alexandre Morfaw, Jeb Brovsky, Bedri Gashi, Camilo Sanvezzo (Doudou Toure 67), Long Tan.

TOTAL SHOTS: 7; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 9; OFFSIDE: 6; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: Cannon 3; CAUTIONS: Brovsky 50; EJECTIONS: None.

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES – Andrew Weber, Steven Beitashour, Ike Opara, Bobby Burling, Justin Morrow, Rafael Baca, Anthony Ampaipitakwong, Brad Ring, Ellis McLoughlin, Matt Luzunaris, Simon Dawkins (James Callinan 75).

TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 9; SAVES: Weber 3; CAUTIONS: Luzunaris 20, Beitashour 53; EJECTIONS: None.

• 4 weeks later...
Probably because the anticipated low support doesn't warrant the cost of manning Empire Field, it is being played at 11:00am on a Sunday morning!

I guess, but didn't TFC have the matches on the same day so that the facilities crew would be there already? Or better yet, have the match at a low cost venue like SFU or Swangard where some kids might show up but you wouldn't need to have much (if any) staff around. Just seems like a waste of an opportunity for the players to be seen, and for some of the public ( especially the low-income bracket, of which there are plenty in the immediate area) to see the players, even if it would be a small crowd in the hundreds. Heck, Pedro Pacheco plays before a crowd in the low hundreds week-in week-out, in a football-mad country like Portugal, so it's nothing to scoff at, I'd say.

I don't remember what the feedback was like from the TFC reserve matches the last time around, but I seem to recall a few fans appreciating the chance to see the reserves in action, a pretty common situation in Europe.

Yeah, it is a little suprising to me as well that it's not something that was open to the publice, I'm sure there is a handful of people who would of spent the entire sunday there at Empire.

I could understand it if there was no game afterwards, but with the game preceding it you'd think there's be an average support for a reserve game to be some what of an opening act for the senior squads.

The 1st team game is on Saturday so the reserve match Sunday is a standalone affair. I gather from front office folks I have spoken to, because Empire is a temporary facility setup is a much bigger hassle than it will be at BC Place, that may be a factor in not running the games on the same day and closing the reserve game to the public.

It was a nicely taken goal. At first I thought the defender would force him wide, but Omar is deceptively fast with that long stride and the defence never got near him. Then he chipped it over their gargantuan keeper cool as can be. There was definitely a touch of quality to it.

Salgado was the best player for the Caps. After that, I thought it was Phil Davies. For a guy that has been struggling with confidence, I thought he had a great game. His passing was unbelievably accurate. His set pieces were fantastic. Does he have the athleticism required to play CM though? He needs to get on the ball more and have more of a presence. But I saw a lot of the same qualities that made me like Davies as a player in the first place.

Salgado was the best player for the Caps. After that, I thought it was Phil Davies. For a guy that has been struggling with confidence, I thought he had a great game. His passing was unbelievably accurate. His set pieces were fantastic. Does he have the athleticism required to play CM though? He needs to get on the ball more and have more of a presence. But I saw a lot of the same qualities that made me like Davies as a player in the first place.

He can't be any worse than Brovsky right?

I don't remember what the feedback was like from the TFC reserve matches the last time around, but I seem to recall a few fans appreciating the chance to see the reserves in action, a pretty common situation in Europe.

They used to (as someone noted earlier) play the matches immediately after the TFC MLS league game. But much like in Europe, those matches were very sparsely attended. On an good day, a 100-200 spectators would stick around for the matches. Usually the hard core types.

On a side note, They had this really stupid policy at the time. One that really hindered the turnout for the games. If you went outside the gates after the main match ended, you were not allow back in to the stadium to watch the reserves match. So, even though your game ticket entited you to watch the reserve game at no extra charge, you couldn't leave the stadium nor would they let an outsider come for only the resreve games, even if they would have been willing to pay for it.

He can't be any worse than Brovsky right?

I actually think that Brovsky has some potential. He will never be a star but could be a decent squad player. You also have to remember that Davies is 2 years younger. Davies time will come, but I still wouldn't start him in an MLS match.

Saturday April 23rd, 2011 TFC vs Columbus Crew Reserves game.

Lineup: Toronto FC

This is the way I had the lineup.

....................30 Milos Kocic

2 Demitrius Omphroy...4 Doneil Henry...35 Jordan Murrell...5 Ashtone Morgan

.........26 Matt Gold...15 Matt Stinson...36 Kaheem Christopher

.........13 Keith Makubuya...11 Nathan Sturgis...34 Stefan Vukovic

37 Tristan Jackman replaced 13 Keith Mukubuya at 60 minutes.

The high number guys were hard to sort out. I asked Paul Mariner, Aron Winter, Jason Bent and finally player Doneil Henry on their way out of the stadium. The high number guys are from the 2011 TFC Senior Academy team.

About 200 fans were there at the start of the game and about 75 at the end. The strong gusty wind from the north in the second half acted as the twelfth man for TFC at the end there.

The Crew won 2-1 despite playing with ten men for the last 47 minutes. Their winning goal came at 65 minutes into the wind.

Edit: Oops: Jackman was #36 and Christopher was #37.

Murrell and Vukovic i recognize from the Canadian U18 team. Vukovic i believe was listed with Hamilton Serbians (correction: that was his youth club, he was with Serbian White Eagles last year), so looks like TFC were able to lure him over. Pretty sure he's the younger bros. of former U20 player Vlad Vukovic who played in Bosnia and is now in Sweden.

"TFC Richard Eckersley runs for ball.

"Apr23123.jpg

I know hes a ginger and all...but thats definitely Matt Gold

Thanks. You're right. I was caught looking at the hair not the number. I zoomed in and saw the #26 on his shorts and realized that Eckersley didn't play in the Reserves game.

Archived