Guest uno

I had a coffee with Joseph's old coach at the North York Dynamo, Vlad Karpenko. Joseph was one hell of a futsal player from what I recall having decimated teams when he was just U14 over here. Inside SOCCER Magazine is going to get an interview with him before this year is up and showcase his path.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a coffee with Joseph's old coach at the North York Dynamo, Vlad Karpenko. Joseph was one hell of a futsal player from what I recall having decimated teams when he was just U14 over here. Inside SOCCER Magazine is going to get an interview with him before this year is up and showcase his path.

OK, so I'll ask the million tears question: Does he have another potential nationality?

OK, so I'll ask the million tears question: Does he have another potential nationality?

Well, his last name is Italian origin.

As far as I remember Italian laws if your grandparents or great-grandparents were Italians you're able to gain Italian citizenship. So theoretically he can be capped for Italy. But I don't really think this will happen )

according to http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/joseph-di-chiara/profil/spieler_181116.html he's already been capped for Canada U20's and even scored a goal. Though i have no official info about that fact.

Maybe someone seen him playing for Canada U20's ?

Do they sell issues of their magazine online ? I'd be very interested to read this article.

...even if he has it doesn't cap-tie him to Canada. Players only capped when playing for their respective men's national team in official games (WCQ, Regional Championships).

Not entirely true. If he's not eligible for any other nations when he plays for their youth teams, I believe he would be capped. So if he had played for Canada's youths, he would never be eligible for, say, South Korea. Even though he could go and live there and get citizenship.

But if he hasn't played for our youth then it matters less than a pair of dingo's kidneys.

Latest news:

1) There was a radio interview with president of our club couple of days ago, and there was a question about Joseph, something like: "Rate Joseph's performance and potential and did anyone from CMNT contacted the club ?" He answered that Joseph is a player of great potential, most talented player in Reserves/Youth, he also sees a big future for him. As for CMNT - they didn't contact the club because of Joseph's recent injury, but president assured that they keep a close look on JDC.

2)Joseph took part in opening ceremony of artificial turf at the high school in the backwoods of our region

pics:

20110902b.jpg

20110902d.jpg

Today Reserves play postponed game against Spartak Moscow, we might see him there.

Thrilled for this kid. Now the big question - was he truly that dominant over his peers back home or are there others like him out there? If so, why aren't we buying their tickets and sending them all over to Europe for trials...

And of course the bigger question - why don't TFC, Montreal, or Vancouver know about these guys?

DiChiara would have had some very skilled teammates, and he would have played some excellent opposition. Was he top of the pile?

Joseph now playing postponed match for Reserves against Spartak Moscow

http://kc-camapa.ru/cgi-bin/kstvlive.cgi

Very high praise from the president, I hope it's accurate and Uno isn't just getting our hopes up!

It is accurate. In addition, facts speak for it: Joseph is the youngest player who managed to get in the First Team subs this season, and, of course, he's the youngest player in our team to make a first team appearance.

And of course the bigger question - why don't TFC, Montreal, or Vancouver know about these guys?

I contacted mr. Yuri Studin - the president of Spartacus Soccer Academy(Ontario) by e-mail about a month ago, and we talked about Joseph and his academy Spartacus Soccer. So there's an excerpt from his letter maybe it can help to answer this question:

Contacting national team coaches is a great idea. Canadian soccer talent pool is very scarce. Unfortunately Joseph was overlooked by Ontario provincial coaching stuff. It happened for the variety of reasons. One of the main reasons is that he and his family were reluctant to participate in the provincial select program( Team Ontario for the veriest youth age groups).

There are loosing a lot of talented players in the program, because it cost a lot of money to the families of those players. Imagine, you represent your own province or the country and you have to pay a lot of money for training and travelling( in junior ages ), which is presenting the problem to many families with the talented children, but limited income. Soccer players, as we now, not always coming from the rich neighbourhoods.

That is why Joseph wasn't discovered by Toronto F.C. youth academy, which is the only really professional club in the city and playing in MLS. But who knows, may be it was also his luck, in some way.

There also was an interview with Mr. Studin on top Russian sport web-site, where he speaks about history of Spartacus Academy, difficulties in Canadian Soccer, level of youngsters in Canada, sponsorship, and corrupcy(?) in youth football. It's very interesting but it's in Russian, and I don't think I'll be capable of tranlating it in English properly. Maybe someone like Grizzly who lives/lived in Russia can translate most interesting parts ))

There was great part about Joseph, when head coach from Howard University "begged" Yuri to let Joseph go to their team. The coach of Howard said something like: "I have very fast, physically skilled team, but i need a guy with "football brains", a playmaker". So, they offered Joseph full scholarship, and he was like first white guy in this University, and, after playing a year in this team, he returned home after some time and said "Their football sucks" )

There are many exciting parts in this interview, about Joseph's trials in Germany and another Russian clubs, about Canadian kids playing soccer and hockey at the same time, and how is that annoying for professional a coach, about "sticky sweaty rolls of money" rich parents offer to get their kids in First Rep Team.

maybe i'll try to translate it one day, but just don't have much free time for it now. So no deadlines. And if anyone can translate it into English I'd be grateful, here link for an interview:

http://www.sports.ru/football/119357678.html

and some pics of Mr. Studin and Spartacuss Socer Academy - http://www.spartacussoccer.ca (Ontario league winners, btw):

object_73.1314626835.20702.JPG

object_71.1314626797.72877.JPG

object_35.1314626797.91637.JPG

object_60.1314626798.06844.JPG

P.S.

The part, that amazed me most of all is that, even if you're talented like god, you have to pay above 1200$ per year to represent your hometown or province. This is really crazy

I really appreciate the comments on why he didn't make the Provincial Team and thus not known by TFC. It is the same in BC. Big costs to play BC team and if not on BC team than most likely not in NTC and if not in either than not noticed by Whitecaps (despite Whitecaps claiming to be huge supporters of SYL - never saw them at games over 4 years!).

That being said Whitecaps have become main supporters of the new BC Premier League (youth) and have claimed they will scout it heavily. The idea being, that kids like Joseph don't get missed....it will still happen.

The BCPL will be very expensive as it is a 11 month program - and covers all the major city/population centres. So the Whitecaps, theoretically, should not miss any players. That being said, I assume it will still cost big bucks to play on the BC provincial team....so I can still see kids choosing not to play that for that reason alone, let alone the massive travel as training is centralized....

From Yuri Studin archive:

x_50c8ea81.jpg

x_8d8cdfe9.jpg

Spartacus team - Ontario cup winners

top row, first from right - Joseph Di Chiara

top row, second from left - Matt Stinson

Archived