Guest uno

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol Italian teams are famous for having MANY players in their systems.  I wonder if you took all the players from ONE team (paid or not) and then compared it to all the Canadians playing professionally (ONLY paid) worldwide, which roster would have more players?  Like...Genoa?  Or the CMNT? ;)

(watch...someone will actually go and count...)

lol Italian teams are famous for having MANY players in their systems.  I wonder if you took all the players from ONE team (paid or not) and then compared it to all the Canadians playing professionally (ONLY paid) worldwide, which roster would have more players?  Like...Genoa?  Or the CMNT? ;)

(watch...someone will actually go and count...)

You clearly didn't get my irony.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Toje said:

Does anyone know if he has signed in Bulgaria?

Unless you know something otherwise, the last we heard he was a L1 all star with Vaughan. He only recently turned 25. Still a kid with potential, really, and still very much an enigma. Somewhere like Bulgaria might be just the place to restart his European career.

This is the type of guy who fits the CPL mould perfectly.  Has played in Europe but could never really settle down and it seems that he's too good for L1O.  

The problem for a guy like this is where do you go?  Seems the only option would be to go stateside to play NASL/USL.  

But judging from this (unverified) quote on his wiki he really isn't taking the game that serious:

"Unfortunately, Di Chiara missed the first leg of the 2016 Inter-Provincial Cup game against the Quebec DIII Champions due to his second-cousin's wedding. He missed the second leg due to an all-inclusive trip he had planned since July."

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Crazy to think this guy got minutes in the RPL, right?

In some respects it is, in others not quite.

It's not uncommon for hype youth to get samples of first team action only to be relegated down the depth chart and further leagues. this goes without saying, we are cmnt supporters, the best at masking our youth players as cnd messis only to be broken later  

This has happened before I know of two players who I know through coaching and managing at the youth and men's competive level, one actually sat on the bench a few times and even got some minutes in Italy's Serie B for about half a season then came back and played a few games in the old A League then disappeared from soccer all together when he was still in his early twenties. The other played like half a season in what is now League 1 in England 3rd. tier I guess , he started and came off the bench a few times but within a year of going to England was back in Toronto where he played in the what was then the A League for a season or two then played some pro indoor soccer in Canada and also in the US. Moreover, I'm sure there are many more cases of Canadian players who looked like they might have been on the road to becoming good pro's and then suddenly disappearing from the face of pro soccer.

6 hours ago, 1996 said:

This has happened before I know of two players who I know through coaching and managing at the youth and men's competive level, one actually sat on the bench a few times and even got some minutes in Italy's Serie B for about half a season then came back and played a few games in the old A League then disappeared from soccer all together when he was still in his early twenties. The other played like half a season in what is now League 1 in England 3rd. tier I guess , he started and came off the bench a few times but within a year of going to England was back in Toronto where he played in the what was then the A League for a season or two then played some pro indoor soccer in Canada and also in the US. Moreover, I'm sure there are many more cases of Canadian players who looked like they might have been on the road to becoming good pro's and then suddenly disappearing from the face of pro soccer.

Julian Uccello, Robert Stillo, and Michael D'Agostino come immediately to mind.

1 hour ago, nolando said:

Julian Uccello, Robert Stillo, and Michael D'Agostino come immediately to mind.

Michael is an up-and-coming coach here in North Vancouver. He's helped coach some of my kids' team and oversees several of the elite teams - he's superb. Expect to hear more about him on the coaching front in the coming years.

14 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Michael is an up-and-coming coach here in North Vancouver. He's helped coach some of my kids' team and oversees several of the elite teams - he's superb. Expect to hear more about him on the coaching front in the coming years.

Him along with another Canadian youth international, Alex Elliott, run the futsal program/league out of the Olympic Oval

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Well great that he's resurfaced, but I don't know if you could call playing for the #last in Lithuania a comeback though. 

I think the comment of yothat was sarcastic but I am not sure if that is warranted. DiChiara had a cup of coffee at a higher level and then did not seem to be able to stick at some middle levels. Always hard to say why in these situations, sometimes it is politics or not fitting into the team or many other reasons and sometimes the reason is the player is not good enough. One of the main problems for Canadian players is not being able to find a middle level between MLS and USL and League 1/PLSQ. Even worse is that some of the lower levels as well as MLS make you sign contracts with conditions that can be detrimental to your career. 26 is not young for DiChiara but Ontario League 1 was too low a league for him to play so hopefully he can use this as a stepping stone and if it does not work out at least he is trying and if he fails it is not for lack of effort which is all we can ask of our players.

Archived