Guest uno

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a little disappointed by this. I would have preferred he had signed in the Russian 1st Division. Similar level of play to Hungary and a lot more chance to move up to a better level, ie. Russian Premier League. However, as YNWA has mentioned we have had enough players who have had difficulty signing anywhere for significant periods of time so from that perspective it is not bad. Plus we have seen how players like Hainault, REB and Ricketts have been able to advance to a better level after playing in leagues like this. I do hope that playing well at KTE will see him transfer to a better league before the 3 1/2 year contract is up.

I'm still lukewarm on DiChiara based on the fact Hart didn't think it was worthwhile to give him any minutes during the games against St. Lucia and Puerto Rico last round. Especially in the Puerto Rico game when everything seemed to be going against us at BMO and we didn't have any control in the midfield. Bringing on a solid, calming presence in the centre of midfield would have really helped the team that day, and that is exactly what we have been told DiChiara is, but Hart didn't bring him on. Was he not good enough for Puerto Rico? Or was Hart just anxious about throwing an untested guy in during a tight 0-0 World Cup Qualifier at home?

I'm still lukewarm on DiChiara based on the fact Hart didn't think it was worthwhile to give him any minutes during the games against St. Lucia and Puerto Rico last round. Especially in the Puerto Rico game when everything seemed to be going against us at BMO and we didn't have any control in the midfield. Bringing on a solid, calming presence in the centre of midfield would have really helped the team that day, and that is exactly what we have been told DiChiara is, but Hart didn't bring him on. Was he not good enough for Puerto Rico? Or was Hart just anxious about throwing an untested guy in during a tight 0-0 World Cup Qualifier at home?

Shouldn't you watch him play yourself instead of drawing inferences from Hart? I am still pretty lukewarm on Hart's ability to assess players and coach, I would certainly not use him as a reference of a player's worth. And even though Di Chiara was not able to stick it out in RPL he has still impressed a team enough to give him a significant 3 1/2 year contract in a league that is as good or better than the leagues that a number of other players getting playing time with the national team play in.

Despite the position that he plays, you would think that the last thing a coach would want to do to bring a calming presence in the centre of midfield is bring on a 19-year old.

Shouldn't you watch him play yourself instead of drawing inferences from Hart? I am still pretty lukewarm on Hart's ability to assess players and coach , I would certainly not use him as a reference of a player's worth. And even though Di Chiara was not able to stick it out in RPL he has still impressed a team enough to give him a significant 3 1/2 year contract in a league that is as good or better than the leagues that a number of other players getting playing time with the national team play in.

I am with you Grizzly - the bolded point in particular.

Shouldn't you watch him play yourself instead of drawing inferences from Hart? I am still pretty lukewarm on Hart's ability to assess players and coach, I would certainly not use him as a reference of a player's worth. And even though Di Chiara was not able to stick it out in RPL he has still impressed a team enough to give him a significant 3 1/2 year contract in a league that is as good or better than the leagues that a number of other players getting playing time with the national team play in.

I've never seen DiChiara play outside of youtube videos. Yes, obviously I would have a better idea of what he brings if I'd seen him play. All I'm saying is that Hart's assessment is the only thing I have to go on right now so I'm not getting too excited about him. Doesn't mean Hart isn't wrong and doesn't mean DiChiara won't prove to be a fantastic player for the national team. It's just all I have to go off.

• 11 months later...
"I was never interested in the MLS. I’ve watched some games and it is very amateur."

K Joe... very amateur yet you couldn't get any minutes for Canada and now you act like you don't want to be called.

Yes I was not really impressed with his comments on MLS or the national team either. As someone who watches a lot of Russian soccer I find it pretty mystifying how a guy who is not even making the bench for a lower table team in the Russian 2nd tier can call MLS amateur. I have watched more RNFL matches then I would like since my team has played there for several years and it is definitely significantly below the level of MLS. The level of MLS is somewhere between that of RPL and RNFL but closer to the top tier than the 2nd tier. There are no MLS teams that could compete with the very top Russian teams that play in European competition but they would do alright against the mid and lower table RPL teams though the RPL teams have better depth. The quality of coaching and player development he is getting in an RNFL team is likely better than what he would get in MLS so I think he is in a pretty good place to develop but I don't see what he has done in his career to this point that allows him to be arrogant about MLS or act like the national team is not important to him. If he is not currently making the pitch on a RNFL team he wouldn't be getting any playing time on a MLS team either.

"I was never interested in the MLS. I’ve watched some games and it is very amateur."

K Joe... very amateur yet you couldn't get any minutes for Canada and now you act like you don't want to be called.

Yea that was a bit harsh. DiChiara hasn't really accomplished enough to be saying things like that IMO. That being said, he is probably not alone in the way he views both Canada and the MLS, so in a way it was a peek into the mind of a "potential Canadian international".

Still, the Russian 2nd tier has an average attendance of 3200. The average attendance in MLS is 18800. Not bad for an 'amateur' league!

^ Makes me think there is still opportunity for Canadian clubs to repatriate young players if they handle it properly. When I think about Canadians considering MLS who are past their academy days, I think about three guys:

Bekker - who is on the wrong end of the equation, sitting on the end of the roster that barely plays and fixtures reserve or otherwise.

Attakora - who clearly thought it couldn't get worse than playing in North America... wrong

Osorio - who proves you can have a so-so profile with a foreign club but still catch on in MLS

What is says to me is that MLS can be a good option if you are in the right situation.

Outside of his MLS being amateur comment, he's right what he said in the interview. And yes, some aspect of MLS is very amateur (like refs and their rules), but quality of the league is improving.

Just because MLS does things differently from the business side of the game doesn't mean that the quality of play suffers come Saturday? I've never understood that "MLS is ****, you can't spend unlimited money and you use allocations/draft picks" argument. Sure it's 'different' but that's like me saying European hockey sucks because they don't have a draft.

I had a lot of respect for this Di Chiara kid before reading that interview. To me he seemed like a blue collar guy making an honest go of it in Europe through some non-traditional routes. But now it just seems like this kid is either ignorant or clueless. I don't understand how a professional footballer can play every day and at a good level (at one point in the RPL), be humbled drop down to the Hungarian league and then Russian 2nd division, look at MLS and call it amateur. It's mind boggling and has shot this kid right down the ladder for me.

Here's the conclusion I've come to: this kid is playing in Russia right now, his friends back home are asking him why he isn't playing for TFC/Canada and he's just been going with that same story to each of them so he translated it to that article (which he probably linked on his FB page for all his friends to see). Have a slice of humble pie, put your head down and make it happen.

If Di Chiara would actually turn down a Canada call at this point in his career he's a ****ing moron. Wouldn't wanna lose that spot in the Russian press box eh Joe?

Seems half of these most promising (and I do think JDC is still quite promising) up and comers are all Junior Hoilett types. For all of the downcast eyes on Canadian soccer, he's lucky he's Canadian, of course, because a player with his recent stats wouldn't get a sniff with a proper national side.

It will be interesting to see how Florio handles these types of kids. On the one hand, it would be nice to see him take a hard line. On the other hand, we have so few depth players that I wonder aloud if we can afford to tell the few options we have playing professionally to take a flying leap.

Seems half of these most promising (and I do think JDC is still quite promising) up and comers are all Junior Hoilett types. For all of the downcast eyes on Canadian soccer, he's lucky he's Canadian, of course, because a player with his recent stats wouldn't get a sniff with a proper national side.

It will be interesting to see how Florio handles these types of kids. On the one hand, it would be nice to see him take a hard line. On the other hand, we have so few depth players that I wonder aloud if we can afford to tell the few options we have playing professionally to take a flying leap.

I think this and any diamonds in the rough he can find will make or break the Floro era

Archived