Guest uno

Yes but the other poster is correct that there are problems within the system. One of the reasons DiChiara never played on provincial or national rep teams was that many of these programs are not free and his parents did not have the money to pay for them. The national coaches can't be expected to scout every league but there needs to be a better system of scouting at regional and provincial levels so more players like DiChiara are brought to the attention of the national coaches. DiChiara was lucky in the sense that he had a coach who believed in him AND who had connections in Europe. In the vast majority of cases like DiChiara the player never has an opportunity to show what he can do and stops playing or continues only as an amateur. Many of these players may be as talented as DiChiara. There will always be a few who slip through the cracks even in a good system but our current system more or less guarantees this will happen regularly.

I wasn't and I can't comment on how "the system" works because I don't know. I was simply saying that in Joseph's case it may be he simply wasn't good enough, as he alludes to in his comments.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look what I'm saying that having been around the youth coaching scene for many years here in Ontario I believe the present system ineeds a major makeover so that we do a better job of finding players. I'm not saying that Joseph has any ill feelings towards the CSA for not being spotted when he was younger,however, how does a player make a pro team in Russia's top league who was never spotted here in Canada for the various youth national teams we have, and I think I just explained the reasons for that in my initial post. Regional team youth coaches, provincial team coaches and youth national coaches need to keep on eye out for players playing in the top youth leagues around the provinces to see if there are any players that may have been missed, that's all I'm saying, and not only pick from players that are on the various regional teams and provincial teams. Moreover, we need a bigger pool of the more talented players training together for longer periods of time, maybe we need more district teams and regional teams at the various age groups not just at the U11 and U12 ages. We should have District teams and Regional teams at U11, U14 and U16 , expand the elite player pools at the various age groups so players can develope and players can be identified much easier.

I wasn't and I can't comment on how "the system" works because I don't know. I was simply saying that in Joseph's case it may be he simply wasn't good enough, as he alludes to in his comments.

He is not saying he was not good enough. He is saying that he figured the selectors thought he was not good enough because he had not played on any teams big enough for them to notice him. That is a big difference particularly when the reason he was not playing on those big teams wasn't because he was not good enough for them, it was because his parents could not afford them. They were not picking the best players for provincial teams but the best players with wealthy parents. DiChiara was not a late bloomer, he was a strong player who should have been on the provincial rep teams if the system worked properly but his parents were retired and did not have the money. The good thing is unlike some other players not to be named, being left out didn't seem to create a chip on DiChiara's shoulder and he does not seem pissed off about the situation.

The article on DiChiara in Russian provides a lot of information about his background and also about how soccer operates in Canada that unfortunately most people here can not read. Studin gives a report about how soccer is run here that is nothing less than scathing. In particular he is very upset about the "capitalistic" aspects of player development here, one has to spend a lot of time working with kids who have no talent or future because their parents can pay and talented kids are neglected because their parents have no money. (It is also interesting to note that Studin is more the director of the club not DiChiara's coach. His coach was a Moldavian named, Alexander Sikov).

Since I don't have time to translate this very long article, I ran it through a very good online translator from Russia: http://www.online-translator.com/Default.aspx/Site Hopefully people can at least get the main points about what Studin is saying. If there are any parts that are interesting but do not make sense in the translation I or possibly Uno can clarify them.

Yury Studin: «I will not tell that has made revolution. But I have made provocation»

Yury Studin, the grey-haired inhabitant of Odessa hardly for 60, is engaged in the most ungrateful work in Canada ― management of own football club. More recently "Spartakus" has presented to the championship of Russia of the second Canadian player in the history ― 19-year-old Joseph Dikjaru who has dared at moving from Toronto to Samara. Correspondent Sports.ru has met Student other and has heard a touching story about of what it is made football in the North America: sponsors from a pizzeria, bribes, business and football league of mummies.

― you have appeared in Canada in 1976. How it left?

― I was born and till 26 years lived in Odessa. We with the wife were young men and, as well as many other things, did not see the future in the USSR. I already worked by then in computer centre of one of factories when movement of emigration has begun and we have decided that it is time to leave.

― As there passed this emigration?

― As well as at all: at first we have submitted to Israel and us have forwarded to Vienna where all were met by representatives of the Israeli and American agencies. Those who and in Vienna spoke «we want to Israel», at once sent to Tel Aviv. Those who spoke "the USA" ― to New York. And we have decided to try to get to Canada. I had there any acquaintances who said that is fine and quiet country, and we have risked. Though actually it is not enough of that about it knew, I could not list even 10 provinces. And so, us with those who also has wanted to Canada, at first have sent to Rome and have told to wait. In Rome we have already got to the official environment where a certain representative of the country prepared us for emigration, to interview to the Canadian consul and so on. But it has turned out so that when we have arrived to Rome, my wife was on the second month of pregnancy our son. And emigration has occupied about half a year. That is, when the moment has come to fly to Canada, till a birth there were some months, and to us have told, it is impossible what to fly, too dangerously. We remained in Rome, its births and after that two months because with newborn to fly too waited even have waited it is not recommended. When we, at last, have appeared in Canada have got to the city of Hamilton. I to you will tell fairly, it does not make the big impression. It is ordinary enough city, absolutely industrial, steelmaking. And after beautiful Odessa, it was impossible to tell anything especial.

― Than you were engaged in the beginning?

― Yes everything, than has got. Painted houses, as the house painter worked. English at me was, because I have ended language school so language a problem did not become. And the wife has very quickly learnt it. Everything that I can tell about that time ― certainly, we had absolutely other outlook on life. I remember, how all of us lived in one house, all young families, it is a lot of from our corners of the world. And there all began, there all were identical: in each apartment there was any old TV, an old sofa which somewhere have found. But we were young, and for all of us it was fine.

― When football has begun?

― Almost at once. I had football last, but amateur, nonprofessional. Though in Canada there was so deep dilettantism that I could consider myself as the professional. And at some instant I have found out in myself a trainer's scent. Also has started to work as the trainer.

― Simply took and have begun?

― I have come to one club and have told that I want to work for them. I began that helped in something. It is a typical way of the Canadian trainer. At first you speak:« Perhaps trenerstvo it is not so necessary for you »? I was the young man and have come so"poluhotja", without being completely assured. But then it was on the sly involved, began to read any literature, has passed courses. All it was within several years. And doing it, I have suddenly understood that in me something is. Understand, I have grown in Odessa and always was the mad fan of"Chernomortsa". I grew literally about stadium and spent there all free time. Those years"Chernomorets"just left in the higher league, to us such big clubs, as« the Dynamo Kiev "or" the Dynamo Moscow »began to come. And trainers there were ingenious. I remember both Victor Aleksandrovicha Maslov, and Gabriel Kachalina, it was possible to look at their trainings infinitely. Then there were no fences, I easy came on stadium, submitted balls and looked-looked-looked. To me already was years 17, sometimes me took on warm-up when there were no players. I remember these trainings, I remember elements of these trainings. Already in Canada me asked: «Where you to it have learnt, whence you know it?» And I remembered that here it I saw at Maslov, it ― at someone another. When my commands have started to win titles, to me began to pay attention.

«In Canada there was so deep dilettantism that I could consider myself as the professional»

― That for titles?

― We repeatedly won superiority of a city. Won Ontario Cup and after that reached the ending twice. Ontario Cup ― it for us the most important top. All it was in 80th years.

― Than you earned on life?

― In parallel with football I worked in the good computer company, I from the Union had this trade. Then took in Canada courses, trained for a new profession and worked slightly in other direction, was engaged in service of computers. It was very quite good money, I had a modern car. It turned out literally so that in the morning I went for work, and in the evenings was engaged in football. Life of all trainers was such.

― When you have left the basic work and have concentrated on football?

― At some instant our company has gone bankrupt. I do not remember, what it was year, about twenty years ago. And after that I have started to work under the contract. I was invited by different groups on service and employed, say, on half a year under any certain project. After that work comes to an end also people are considered unemployed, the unemployed and go on the dole. I never received it, because me at once invited in any new project. When in 1996 I has already registered the club and after a while has started to have with it any money, I began to take less contracts. And gradually there was only a football.

― With what "Spartakus" began?

― the Club existed and till 1996 when I have officially registered it, but was in such semideveloped condition. I both administered, and trained. But people in club became more and more, and gradually I have concentrated on administration. Thus I never supervised the trainers because considered that in football aspect their qualification above mine. Now I sometimes am engaged with players, but only absolutely small. Because many trainers who work from 17-18 summer, slightly neglect kids. And at me to it a great interest.

― That occurred to transatlantic football in the first years of your life in Canada?

― All was in disassembled enough condition. In serious football played only clubs of the ethnic plan. Even the national football league consisted of such commands, as "Toronto-Italy" and so on. They brought players not so a high rank, but the professionals who have played in Europe, and local biznesy from this ethnic group in every possible way to them helped. Those years there was a big presence of the first generation of emigration, therefore tribunes of such clubs were always filled, reached 10-15 thousand fans. But in some years all it has gone on recession. The feeling to football disappeared, emigrants all absorbed new culture faster.

At that time there was a North American football league in which played full well-known characters who were on a slope of career. In "Space" from New York played Pele, Bekkenbauer. But presence of such stars ― is unconditional plus because the American and Canadian players acting in one command with Pele, had an example before eyes, and it is them moved. Canada even has managed to collect a national team which has made the way on the World championship in Mexico that became a great advance. We had a football life. When I have arrived, there was any movement, and I had a naive representation that all this business of time, becomes fast football even more popularly. But then this star league all has failed, has failed also the rest. The Europeans arguing on level of football in Canada today, are very naive. They understand that it is not developed. But at all do not represent how much.

― In "Spartakuse" there are no football players is more senior 18 years. Why?

― At some instant I have come to a conclusion that that level on which I can operate, does not allow to work with adult people. In 18 years the player should not pay for training, to it already most should pay. And to us as well as to other clubs, it is necessary to take money from parents, though if there were certain possibilities, I for what did not do it. At early age it is possible, because still it is not known, who the talented player who has a future and who is engaged in it only for the sake of entertainment. But after 13 years football players should not pay any more. Will come to me talented malchonka, but it will not have money. What to me to it to speak? Not to take it?

― As you arrive?

― we Contrive. But always there is a danger. We cannot turn it in opened ― that is to take money of sponsors, to beat out any grant. We will admit, you have collected on 600-700 dollars from parents for half a year. And here they learn that any Vasja does not pay. Understand? It immediately the conflict, parents simply lynch you. Therefore you cannot admit it. But I piously believe that if the player talented, he is not obliged to pay. If there is a possibility, it is possible and to pay, but to oblige to it it is impossible in no event. If I had possibilities, I would adhere to such policy. Because, in addition, it relieves of service to parents. Now all of us become their hostages more. They start to press on the trainer, to influence the sports factor, and I simply hate it.

― How many there is a training in your club?

― Looking in what command the child plays. At us is rep teams (representative) ― it is elite of our game. In these commands the best players act, they play to provincial league, in city league, in all football pyramid. Training here costs from 600 dollars for half a year and above. The second ― academy. It intermediate ― those who tries to get in rep here act, and training costs 600 dollars for half a year.

― As there is a movement of players between commands?

― Look, the boy, to it comes of 15 years to you. Anything especial, but hands-feet are, atletichnyj the such. Also speaks: «I want to get in rep team». You answer: «Forgive, the friend, but you cannot get there. To you 15, they your coevals, but they play 8 years!» Certainly, it does not have any real chances to make the way there. «That to me to do?» ― the boy speaks. Remains ― house league.

― That?

― House league ― it is commercial league where football players of any age play and for which it is simple entertainment. We it buy the form, they play, we do not write down results, all commands should be happy. And in the end it the awards stand out, everyone receives small cups. There is such picnic, and all happy go home. We any more do not expect repetition, because tomorrow they will go to a karate, baseball and still somewhere. But they give the commercial income. Also present, if at me their person 30, these are already quite good money. The form costs the copecks, any money for field rent. All the rest ― a net profit. And there are mega-clubs so they turn back on it millions literally. And so, we come back to the boy.

― Yes.

― In House league he already does not wish to have fun.« I want to play seriously », ― speaks. And here earlier we such simply sent home. And have then thought: what for we refuse to them, if it is possible to organise all such boys? It is pure commerce, but that we do: we take trainers who train rep, and we give them this reserve, a so-called double, in the same age category. Know, in Toronto there is such ethnic league« Ispanik of Leagues », league latinosov. They with anybody do not communicate, cook in the copper. But me love, I the unique trainer whom they respect. Know, what such the Gringo? Here I the unique gringo with whom they have conversation (laugh). And I lead this double to them. Further ― two variants. Happens such that someone from boys starts to play better, the talent is cut and there is later a detection. That is all it have given up as a bad job, and it has played. Then we advance it upward, in the basic rep. If someone from this the basic rep complains of shortage of game time, it can go down in academy. If will play there well, will rise back. The system turns out such piramidnaja.

«Mums of players have created the league and is serious so play, shout, sometimes fight even reaches»

― the Income of your club, say, in a year?

― the Turn ― something about 150 thousand dollars that is called, gross, as "dirty". I do not have documents near at hand, therefore cannot tell precisely, but approximately so. Money goes from parents, from sponsors. Sponsors happen stable which with us work every year. Happen such which that appear disappear.

― One of your sponsors ― a pizzeria. What sense of a pizzeria to put in football club?

― Football is very popular at certain level, on the amateur. By quantity of the registered football players, I think, we even advance Russia. In a percentage parity, certainly. Girls play, mums play. There is even a league for mums, good such solid nice mums. You know, what such Soccer Mom? Football ― is suburb game, and here such typical image: mum comes on the minivan, at it three children, and it carries them on sports. While children play football, mums sit down and knit or read the book. Also enjoy in the warm summer evening. At this time they suddenly each other speak: «And what we sit here, we type weight when too we can be engaged in something serious?» And here active mums have gathered, have agreed, have formed a team. Have bought the form and while children play, they too play. In other clubs the same, and here all of them the whole league was fond and has turned out. Seriously so play, shout, sometimes fight even reaches.

― Sounds abruptly.

― Sports are sports. That is football actually much. There are no two kinds of game ― when simply so young children leave to play on street, and the present, serious football in which it is possible to earn money. There is a football as the organised amateur employment, but is not present football, as the industries. That is, I will tell so: if you want to gain money in Canada do everything, everything, but only not serious professional football. Serious football devours money. Look at the same at "the Pearl of Sochi». To contain good club difficultly at any level. Understand, if I was the cynic, I and have thrown for a long time all. But I not the cynic, I love these sports madly, therefore I speak: «O'kej, there is a place for in total both it is possible to earn additionally, and to grow up quite good players, and to take pleasure». Once earlier I had also commands U-21, but then I have told to myself:« It not yours, the old man, business. You should not climb there where money is necessary, petrodollars or gazodollary or what the hell are necessary. Instead of when the pizzeria gives money to you ». And why the pizzeria gives money?

― Why?

― And children will eat a pizza? Will be. That's all, what there serious money. As well others ― burgernye, still any restaurants ― address to us, ask: «And you in what area play?» Because it after all it is not important, where you will take money if you will leave at the other end of the world. They are local sponsors.

― How many money you receive from sponsors?

― I Think that there are more 10 thousand. Understand, there are clubs which have many money from this business, but I do not have such aggressive prosecution, as at them. Happened such that we collected 5 thousand for a week, but it because I went, in it was engaged. But I cannot both to be engaged in it, and it, and to administer. We will speak therefore so: I do not have aggression.

― Happens such, what rich parents offer you bribes arranging the son in club?

― Quite right, such occurs very often. But my philosophy consists that if you take money from the person, you become obliged to it. I cannot take simple money so. If the child not talented I never will take from it money.

― the Greatest sum as a bribe which to you gave?

― Some thousand dollars yielded directly. Cash, know, such sweaty, curtailed.

― When your player passes in other club, you receive for it any money?

― About is not present, it is one more problem. Full unsystematic character. I envy hockey, their organisation, them sistemnosti. If in May you have signed the contract, you will not leave before the contract termination. It is pleasant to you or not, you will be there, will not turn blue yet. In football the player can leave when necessary. Each player has such document, the football passport. It lies in club. And so if the player has wanted to leave and you will not give it its passport within seven days, club fine. Players do not have any duties, not to mention loyalty, fidelity to club is in general ridiculously. «Excuse, children that you at me have stolen the goalkeeper, I have nobody to put!» ― here it is all excites nobody. Turn, as you want. If the player has wanted to leave, it has sat down in the car and has left, and you even piknut cannot. And happens such that the football player should pay 600 dollars, but says that money now is not present.« Here to you the check, in July money will be, you can remove them ». And then it has played couple of months, it was not pleasant to it, it has left. And you go in July to bank, and there is empty.

― Also what to do?

― And what here you will make? The player was good, to you was necessary, it was necessary to concede. Such happens pretty often. You call in federation ― «your problem». Clubs are absolutely defenceless. Therefore behaviour at all at level of jungle. All from all steal, as can and when want. Understand me correctly, I do not want to tell a lot of bad, negative, it simply a reality sew lives. But there are many good things which occur.

«Behaviour at all at level of jungle. All from all steal, as can and when want. Understand me correctly»

― your answers are not too optimistical.

― Know, we continue to hope that our state will show interest to football. But while them hockey interests only. If there they have unsuccessfully acted, yes, on a week there comes despondency. If they do not win the first place, it is them shock. And in the rest occurs nothing, heads of trainers do not fly. Does not happen such that the prime minister has acted in parliament and has told: «It is a national shame». Our command has once won gold cup KONKAKAF in 2000. There was very good trainer, and it blinded a solid team from this that was. Usually the cup is won by Mexico or States, and we here have won. Also know that?

― That?

― Anybody has not sneezed at all! It did not excite anybody! Ask our children from a national team, I there know many. All of them speak: the most terrible for them ― it to play Toronto therefore our house stadium never was rather house. If you play to Mexico, so there full stadium of Mexicans. And at us with whoever you played, there will be a full stadium of strangers. For Canada nobody is ill. I remember, somehow time children played houses with Mexico for the right to make the way on the World championship. So in ours all game threw any waste. And try in Mexico pikni at their stadium, live you will not remain.

― you do football in Canada 35 years. How was earlier? Better or worse?

― I Explain. Understand, that we do now, ― I already told about the same three trainings in a week ― earlier it it was impossible, if you did at least two trainings, at you looked, how on the madman. Mum there and then approaches and to me speaks: «And we cannot bring all time to you of the son"."Why?» «The his sister swims, in 10 years at it the best time in Ontario». I speak: «About, I congratulate you. But what, Michael cannot come two times a week on training?» To me speak:« We cannot, sports of the daughter glavnee ». That is understand, what status was at football? Now like there is any movement even if to look at that money which in it turn. There was« Toronto FK »which plays MLS. They will have a academy, maybe, it to develop and further. But, besides, it is all in hands of certain group of people. As at you happens ― to the governor football is pleasant, means there will be in a city a football. The governor has left ― have closed a shop. It is a reality. In Canada it is not to national movements. Any shifts are. But that some think« here will be tomorrow »― yes anything tomorrow will not be. Know, I rise in the morning and I go to buy the newspaper.

― So.

― to find there at least one football news, it is necessary to climb on last page. And even if you there will find something, it will be or is absolutely incompetent, or any scandal, like «David Bekhema have noticed with the girl of bad behaviour». Here it is football. And you will turn page ― so there on two pages analysis of game of NHL, on two pages the story about Tajgere Vudse and so on. Or here still.

― I Listen.

― I have very well remembered one episode as Russian children from NHL spent summer in Toronto and have decided to play in football near to our fields. And I remember, how during training any fellow resorts to us and shouts that there Kovalev, still someone play the next field. All our children forget that there is a training, and escape to look, how hockey players play football. Hockey players play football! And I run for the players and I shout: «That you look at them? You play is better!» (Laughs). Circus!

― Innovations of which you are proud?

«I the first have started to pay to trainers»

― In our country all gain money for football, except, as though it is paradoxical sounded, trainers and football players. And my main merit, performance of any debt to football that I the first has started to pay to trainers. To me in it anybody because usually in clubs parents of players worked did not pay, and I consider that it is inadmissible, all sports principle instantly falls. Understand, in Canada till now the present expert, the present football trainer is necessary to nobody. Therefore much such children who come and speak: «Let's do we warm-up». Handles have pulled, legs have pulled, and then money took and has left. For each fool there will be a tribune. I cannot tell that have made revolution. But I have made provocation. We the first steels to pay to trainers, and hearings have gone:« And you heard, speak, at them trainers receive money ». Now, probably, it is a lot of clubs which have already outridden me and the best money pays in the trainer. But we have provoked this movement, and I am proud of it.

― the Problem which does not give you rest?

― In Canada there is a rule ― in a command should be registered a minimum of 18 persons. And 9 from them should be from area in which there lives a command. Our area when I only have arrived, was prosperous enough, but then it has grown poor, and we simply are not capable to collect such quantity of children.

― What to do?

― It is necessary to deceive, and so we arrive not only we. But I do not consider it as a sin because we regularly protest against this rule. We live in the free country and we consider this limit silly. But that something has changed, very serious attack, with participation of any organisations under human rights and so on is necessary. And now, basically, if to dig deeply, it is possible to see that each command has a pair of players at which their official addresses are changed. It is the big problem because actually the quantity of clubs strongly exceeds quantity of talented players, and it is present challenge, a call for us ― to dig out the present talent. And there are also such situations when the trainer most should chase the player. For example, we have noticed the good boy. But his parents ― natives of Caribbean basin ― very much love parties, parties and it is improbable that they will get up in the morning and will bring to you the child. And the trainer himself sat down in the car and went to them home to take away it on training.

― Trophies of "Spartakusa"?

― We were champions of Ontario, won the Cup of Ontario. So at local level at us is both reputation, and respect.

― Joseph Dikjara ― the young Canadian who has arrived to Samara on the eve of a season-2011/12, ― the main product of your club?

― it is certain, Joseph ― is our first present success. It has come to our club in six years and worked with us up to departure in university. It, by the way, the whole history, you will laugh. The matter is that Joseph was the first white person at this university. Somehow I was called by the trainer from Howard University which is in the centre of Washington. Still when only just in the USA the slavery has been cancelled, the group of patrons of art has created this university for elite, talented Black young men. There fine faculties, there study cream of a black society. Also it has turned out so that Joseph went on tournaments where universities looked through players. And it was chosen by this Jamaican trainer. After a while he calls to me: «I know, you the president of club where Joseph plays. Give me it».

― And you that?

― I Speak: «But at you university only for the Afro-Americans, what for to you Joseph?» And it to me: «Well, so it after all even is more interesting. First, we are very popular in a city. Secondly, the university really strong, Joseph can study both as the doctor, and on the lawyer, at us set of faculties. Besides, he will study free of charge. You understand, I have a University team. All of them quickly run, but anybody does not have football brains. To me it is necessary playmaker. Please, give me Joseph». I have listened to all it and have gone to the father: «your son is wanted by one good university of Washington"."About, yes same it is fine!» You would see his eyes after he has learnt that Joseph will be the first white person who has arrived there (laughs). But have persuaded him, the trainer has explained:« You do not understand, about it will write all Washington newspapers, about it learns all city ». And all is valid and was. And has ended with that Joseph has played there any time both has returned back. Also know, what has told?« Football there worthless »(laughs).

― Dikjara really strong football player?

― All is learnt in comparison. For Canada ― yes, really, the strong. But for today its history ― is still open page; we will observe of its development, behind his career in the Russian football. Though, basically, it has already surpassed expectations. And I even am slightly surprised that he has managed to get to a prime minister-league command.

«You would see eyes of the father after he has learnt that Joseph will be the first white at this university»

― Not the most outstanding command.

― you are right, but nevertheless. Actually, at Joseph was three calling in the European football. At first it have directed to Berlin, and he some time trained in "Gerta". It was right at the beginning and not that that is very serious. You know, it in general very local boy, never was in Europe, that is it not so represented that such the present football. In Berlin at Joseph has not grown together, and then, already having grown up, he has got over to Moscow. There there lives our compatriot Mark Tunis, it had some communications in the Russian football, and he has sent Joseph in CSKA. But you understand that at such player there looked not so attentively. After that there was an attempt to get to "Locomotive", and there it has already made impression. As a result, on the basis of already appeared small reputation, on it there was "Krylja Sovetov". They have invited him to winter gathering to Cyprus and Turkey, and already there it has personally proved that is capable to play to this command. For me it there was a big pleasure.

― you communicated with Dikjaroj after its moving to Samara?

― It regularly is on communication both with me, and with the father which lives literally in two minutes of walking from our house. And when in the Russian championship there was a break, Joseph even managed to escape for some days home, and we met it.

― That Joseph speaks about Russia, Samara, "Wings"? To difficult it?

― Know, it has passed through all. The main thing that Joseph has already shown that at it strong character though when it only has arrived, of course, to it it was difficult. First, he, certainly, boom-boom in Russian, except English knows nothing. Secondly, in Canada such as Dikjara name «the suburban boy». It always was silent enough, it is such present middle class, the child from an intelligent family. But at it the good data. Here again it is necessary to give to due our trainer. He/she is the excellent guy from Moldova, Alexander Sikov.

― Many years Dikjara combined football and hockey. It irritated you?

― Wildly irritated, because I understood ― it is impossible to develop simultaneously in both sports. It is clear that for the Canadian boys hockey always will be on the first together. And Joseph, by the way, was very quite good hockey player. It is obvious that it was affected by two things. The first ― George's leaving, father Joseph, on pension. His parents were teachers and lived not bad enough but after incomes have fallen, hockey became the expensive pleasure. The second ― Alex Sikova's training a command of Dikjary charisma. After hockey it has been finished, Joseph did not pass any training, he really trusted in Alex. Know, Alexander always dreamt to become not only the trainer, but also the agent, such present merchant who brings up strong football players and then sells them. And he has promised to Joseph: «I will make you the professional». In general, so all also has turned out.

― Joseph's Main difference from other your players?

― Look, we have persuaded our children to train three times a week, and it already achievement. But football all the same does not carry away them, and hobby ― the main engine in sports. I remember the youth, I could not without a ball. It was my dream. Sometimes you think of employment, about the fair sex, but about football ― always less. You want to play. And here all play so much, how many it is necessary. You will tell to somebody: «It is necessary for you to work over a pass, can, you will remain?» And you:« Not, I home will go ». Earlier I was angry, already was not present. You understand that life here is arranged in another way. And so Joseph, first of all, very obedient. It has a diligence. It not always helps to become successful, but Joseph is constantly ready to work. And the majority of players completely not such, therefore each football player whom though something is able, in Canada worth its weight in gold. We will tell, there are at you five quite good players. You take the remained, so-called fillers, and here from you a command. Sashi Sikova had such collective in which even the goalkeeper normal was not. So it was necessary to speak to defence that on our collars did not allow to beat, there the hole costs (laughs). And we become stronger. Poverty generates an ingenuity.

― it is not very cheerful.

― And what to do? I have already told that Canadians are not carried away by football. We in 16 years have a terrifying recession, we start to lose players because the school becomes more difficult, people prepare for university, somewhere earn additionally. And at this time on the contrary it is necessary to complicate trainings, to work as much as possible. It is a system problem which we cannot solve. Know, I was in Australia. My son is connected with the Canadian government and left to Australia on work. And he has acquainted me with the Australian federation of football.

― Ogo.

― And so they, unlike the Canadians, terribly proud people. To me told, how once they have very badly acted on the Olympic games ― not only in football, and in general ― it has shaken the government, the prime minister hardly has not retired. And they have broken all system, it has occurred at government level. I saw that there occurs now ― it fine, rather fine. I very much love Canada, this country became my second native land, and hardly now I could live in any other place. But at Canadians colonial thinking. It is the big beautiful and rich colony. Here, who we are. Sometimes people ask me: «As so, they do not have even national football championship!» I speak: «And in hockey, whether that, is?» It is their national sports, and they in a lap ask Americans that to them have given one more command in NHL!

― As often you happen in Odessa?

― I was only two times, and at first 30 years did not come in general, and during the last years at once twice. The second time very much it was pleasant to me, Odessa began to look how it was remembered by old inhabitants of Odessa after revolution. You know, they terribly patriotic people and try to recreate any place. For example, on one place once for a long time there was a well-known cafe "Фанкони" as in a song it is sung. And here I arrive to Odessa, I come on that place and I see there this cafe! You represent, what it for feeling? It has very much touched me. But at the same time, I cannot tell that it is my city. It my and not my because in Odessa at me remains nobody. Either have left, or have died. But it is pleasant to me to communicate with inhabitants of Odessa, I meet similar mentality, and I can tell: «Yes-yes, I know, about what you speak» (laughs). I very much miss a city, but to live there I could not any more. My house ― is Canada.

«At Canadians colonial thinking. It is the big beautiful and rich colony»

― When you felt in Canada the?

― Perhaps after I have left for limits of Toronto. It seems to me, very important to be passed about the country because when you travel on different cities, before you all greatness of the country, all its beauty opens. I saw many provinces and only then have understood, this country is how much fine. Besides I love silence, calmness. Canada such. Some people cannot live without movement, without New York. And I come to New York and I feel very uncomfortably.

― you said that you invited both to Ukraine, and to Russia. What for invitations?

― Last time me invited to arrive on tournament to Moscow, and it is absolutely free. Any of your oligarchs spent such Miniolympic games between commands of emigrant children from the different countries of the world. From Canada it was necessary to result the national team, and somehow they on me left. But time was very little. I began to search for players but the matter is that we in club have not enough Russian children. And in Moscow thought that time the president is Russian-speaking, at it full same football players. As a result at some instant I have understood that elementary I will not have time to collect a command. If to me would give year of preparation, of course, I both players has found, and a command has prepared and so on. But for such time it was impossible to make it, and all was cancelled. There was also other case.

― That for a case?

― Vasily Ishchak, a legend of Odessa "Chernomortsa" and my good friend, some times invited me to Odessa. He now trains the young man 95 year of birth in "Chernomortse" and periodically comes to Toronto so knows our children. But all rests against money ― Vasja said that will provide to us habitation, a food and so on. But we should also to arrive. Have started to raise money, but one do not want, it is too expensive for another. Besides, to carry children through ocean, it is necessary to be not only the trainer, it is necessary to be the tutor. Because you are responsible for children a head and should not tear off from them a sight at second. Therefore we infrequently have such departures. We go to America, but basically by wheels. We will tell, we remove the bus and we can go to New York, Boston on any tournament. But distant travel ― this the expensive and is responsible.

― it is possible, you did not want it, but having read the interview, many will ask a question: «If all so is bad, and was even worse, what for he is engaged in it?» And truth, what for?

― it is obvious, I have some masochistic bents (laughs). But for me it is the form addiktsii ― if you do not do it, you do something another. And I do not play cards, I do not drink alcohol. I do football, and in some measure I am happy. Know, to me yesterday helped my manager. Its basic work ― in an old people's home. The good woman, to football of the relation has no, is engaged in administrative work. And yesterday she to me has told: «Yury, thanks you that you have invited me here. I see every day suffering old men who cannot swallow of meal, cannot move. And here I come and I have possibility to look, communicate and work with children, with these colours». So it not so is bad, as it seems. Understand, I very much love football and I want to direct to its the efforts. Us know in certain circles of Toronto and when we come on any banquet, people approach and speak:« We respect you that you do ». It is madly pleasant. And for the sake of it it is necessary both to work, and to live.

I played soccer in North Carolina for a year in my youth and let me tell you the differences in scouting activity was noticeable. Guys were digging pretty deep to find whatever talent they could get. I played select (tier II equivalent) and we had coaches from premier (or tier one) programs watching at various points in the season. I asked some kids who played at a higher level than i did if this was normal and they seemed to think it was. The approach to sports in general down there was much more professionalized.

Compared to my experience in Canada, scouting was bordering on non-existent. Rarely saw anybody do it, never heard any of my coaches talk about it, and people seemed content with what landed in their lap.

All this being said, whoever mentioned the point about cost being prohibitive for a lot of players has a strong point. The prov team programs are especially ridiculous.

In particular he is very upset about the "capitalistic" aspects of player development here, one has to spend a lot of time working with kids who have no talent or future because their parents can pay and talented kids are neglected because their parents have no money.

This is bang on. In GTA, there are many mickey mouse soccer clubs being run with a minimal resource but charging upwards of 2-300 dollars a year (which continues to increase every year) and kids (including mine) don't get proper training. I'm also starting to see small privately run clubs pop up everywhere that charges even higher and management's motivation is purely profit/margins. It's becoming a country club environment and as Grizz mentioned above, talented kids with parents who doesn't have a deep pocket are being neglected.

What are financial incentives for small clubs like, for example, Spartacus to develop youngsters ? Only parents money ?

Do they get paid by MLS for drafted player ?

What are financial incentives for small clubs like, for example, Spartacus to develop youngsters ? Only parents money ?

Well a player wouldn't be directly drafted from Spartacus, they would first go to the NCAA and then be drafted.. even if they did get drafted from Spartacus I don't think they would be entitled to anything from MLS.

If MLS getting profits from selling players to Europe, from TV rights, why not pay youth academies for every drafted player ?

300 000$ for player drafted @First round, 100 000$ second etc.

This would encourage academies to develop youngsters to be drafted and select best kids , not rich ones. And this would allow those talented ones to train for free, what is most important

Imagine, if a year of training in youth academy costs 3000$ (as i heard), than for one player drafted in first round you can allow 100 talented kids to play football for free

Well a player wouldn't be directly drafted from Spartacus, they would first go to the NCAA and then be drafted.. even if they did get drafted from Spartacus I don't think they would be entitled to anything from MLS.

I suppose they not getting a penny from NCAA ?

If MLS getting profits from selling players to Europe, from TV rights, why not pay youth academies for every drafted player ?

300 000$ for player drafted @First round, 100 000$ second etc.

This would encourage academies to develop youngsters to be drafted and select best kids , not rich ones. And this would allow those talented ones to train for free, what is most important

Imagine, if a year of training in youth academy costs 3000$ (as i heard), than for one player drafted in first round you can allow 100 talented kids to play football for free

As much as I agree with this it is only possible if playing is free. In the current pay-to-play environment you can't have professional clubs paying youth clubs for signing a youth player to a pro contract or training contract. The pro club would have to pay the parnets, who actually shelled out for their kid to play.

Sort of a chicken and egg discussion. Clubs can't let all the kids play for free without compensation, but clubs can't ask compensation while they are charging for kids to play.

This is bang on. In GTA, there are many mickey mouse soccer clubs being run with a minimal resource but charging upwards of 2-300 dollars a year (which continues to increase every year) and kids (including mine) don't get proper training. I'm also starting to see small privately run clubs pop up everywhere that charges even higher and management's motivation is purely profit/margins. It's becoming a country club environment and as Grizz mentioned above, talented kids with parents who doesn't have a deep pocket are being neglected.

Isn't this the exact same as hockey in this country too? You need to be playing on a competitive travelling team to even have a chance of getting noticed by any scouts, and this is a massive financial as well as time commitment for parents. Although with hockey you at least need to be good enough as well as well off enough to make it since they actually have try-outs and such..

Isn't this the exact same as hockey in this country too? You need to be playing on a competitive travelling team to even have a chance of getting noticed by any scouts, and this is a massive financial as well as time commitment for parents. Although with hockey you at least need to be good enough as well as well off enough to make it since they actually have try-outs and such..

Ya I'm not sure what he's on about there, hockey is easily more expensive for parents and you don't have the chance to play for free until you are 16.. of course there are the few who play high school prep hockey on full scholarships but that is rare in the whole grand scheme of things

Well first you need to understand how soccer works in Canada (and the U.S.). The MLS/NASL clubs like Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver and Montreal work like your traditional club in almost every other part of the world. If you are an academy player, they will pay for schooling and for a club like Vancouver that has a residency program, they will also pay for your lodging and food.

The rest of the clubs operate mostly like independent contractors. They are, for example, schools for figure skating and ice dancing. While they might call themselves a figure skating "club" or an ice dancing "club", they are more like schools for the sport but do not offer jobs for the players once they are over 18. As some posters have already mentioned, most clubs are just there to take parents money and give kids something to do so they don't sit and home and play FIFA 12 all day. They're main objective is not to teach individual skills, but instead they try to win games so that parents who live vicariously through their kids will be satisfied and renew their kid's membership with the "club."

There is a difference between club and academy but I don't know the system that well to try and write all the differences. Some other people with more expertise should jump in here. Academies supposedly are the schools that are supposed to teach "skills" but even then, there are academies (not the ones run by the professional clubs...those are different) that don't really teach much.

Anyways, some clubs have affilations with their local professional clubs. These clubs recommend their best players to their clubs in exchange for a reward which we speculate is a provision in the player's contract that says that when the player is sold, a certain percentage will be paid to their original club. Parents benefit because their kid gets better exposure and their kid actually makes money for playing soccer. Clubs benefit because they're getting rewarded for teaching kids proper skills. If the club makes no money off the player, the parents make no money.

I suppose they not getting a penny from NCAA ?

No the NCAA does not pay clubs for players. They consider players to be individuals students who make the decision to enroll into school just like any other students. The players are not under contract to their "clubs" therefore no fee is paid. The clubs are like schools themselves because once a player turns 18, they've "graduated" and they're on their own.

If you're looking for a benefit that a club/academy can gain, it is that scouts or parents might hold a club/academy in higher esteem next time they're scouting or recommending that club/academy to other parents that want their kids to play competitive soccer for as long as possible. The club/academy gains prestige and they can be more selective in who they allow into their club/academy....or they can charge more for admission.

And uno, I noticed you "liked" the link I posted on Joe's facebook. Thank you!

Ya I'm not sure what he's on about there, hockey is easily more expensive for parents and you don't have the chance to play for free until you are 16.. of course there are the few who play high school prep hockey on full scholarships but that is rare in the whole grand scheme of things

It goes much beyond the cost issue.

Simply talent pool is much bigger in hockey than soccer. Even if you miss several hundred talented hockey kids into the competitive environment, there will always be other equally talented kids or better will be around to keep hockey #1 sport in Canada. With soccer, if you miss one DiChiaras, Morgans, Alemans of the world, this has a much bigger impact on the development of our national program.

This is the reason why keeping soccer affordable for parents is much more paramount than hockey.

One word: demographics.

The kids who are developing to play hockey are not coming from the same places the soccer players are coming from. On top of that, I think it's pretty easy to see that with hockey being so expensive who get the chance to develop is already dependent on resources. If you're parents can't pay for ice time, you won't get to play or practice enough to warrant playing travel hockey at an exorbitant cost.

You don't need to spend uber-bucks to develop a robust skill set as a soccer player necessary to play at the elite youth level which is why you have kids who warrant going further than they are who don't get the opportunity.

There was a Russian-language interview with Joseph on sport.ru a couple weeks ago that I don't think has been posted here. Not a lot of real interest (he hasn't got Twitter!) but a bit of background on the kid.

http://www.kc-camapa.ru/cgi-bin/prntxt.cgi?20110927,15,1,,6809,6809

it's always cool to tell that you have a colombian friend with the last name - Escobar. Some might think it's that famous drug lord.

Too bad our Escobar only plays Fifa on Play Station, not real soccer. He had a pretty good start.

Not quite. Hockey is exceptionally well scouted at all levels both formally and informally. Coaches are part of the extensive informal network. Which means, if you are playing any sort of organized hockey that chance are very high that someone at the next level is having a look at you. The problem in Canada for soccer is that there is no extensive informal network of coaches and most of the coaches outside of an elite level wouldn't know a potential Lionel Messi from a potential traffic pylon. So there is nobody to advocate, or encourage you to attend open tryouts (which incidently, pretty much every elite hockey team has at pretty much every level). And playing hockey in rural Canada - source of a significan amoutn of our hockey players - is considerably cheaper than in the bigger cities.

god, if only I could be paid as a local scout, I damn well know talent when I see it (of course their probably a few people on the board who could do a very good job too, I always wondered if Rocket Robin did his reports for anyone officially or if he's just about the most tremendous local soccer fan we have).

I'm thinking it might take close to a year, but a few scouts could probably do a pretty efficient job of determining the level of play at most levels around the GTA, it wouldn't be permenantly accurate but it would probably turn up some talent and be a good starting point for setting up more organized scouting, tbh though they have been doing a pretty good job at TFC academy so maybe a few people have a realistic grip on talent in the GTA (part of me suspects some people just know a good number of hot spots and are probably still missing guys even doing a fantastic job).

an update on current situation:

no Di Chiara in yesterday reserves game, probably because he arrived home on Thursday and couldn't get an evaluation during this week training cycle

Our captain, former CSKA Moscow hot prospect, who played last two-three seasons for us as DC, today will play at his natural position of DM. So, +1 player for Joseph to compete against

Archived