CSL Official in Ottawa!

Trillium was pretty accurate with his assessment of the situation.

Unfortunately if everything goes as planned and Hunt/Pugh bring an NASL team to Ottawa beginning in the 2013 season something's going to have to give. The city can't support the Fury PDL, a CSL and an NASL team. My thought would be this CSL is the team that doens't survive. Anything competing against teams run by establishedm experienced guys like Hunt and Pugh won't make it.

you play CSL you cant be in the NCAA...... its professional.

Actually, unless they changed the rules AGAIN this off season, this is not exactly true. Last year the NCAA allowed amateurs to play alongside pros (in certain sports - includes soccer, not hockey) as long as they retained their amateur status. And CIS has always allowed this. The only caveat is that once they have enrolled in the NCAA school, they are no longer eligible.

Great talent to bring into the league.

Capital City managment is doing a superb job so far, site is top notch..to bad the stadium is brutal. If they could convert Lynx stadium into a soccer friendly arena the team would be much more respect from the population..

That's been much talked about in soccer circles in Ottawa. Malhotra actually tried to bring a USL team here a few years ago and his plan was to use the Ottawa baseball stadium. Alot of what I heard from people was this wasn't a good idea. Sightlines wouldn't have been good and logistically it would have been tough because of where the stadium is located geographically. On top of the the stadium already has a tenant in the the Ottawa Fat Cats baseball team who have a 2 year lease (I believe).

Terry Fox facility is decent but not great, with some improvements it could be okay for this level of soccer.

I'll try to make it at a game this year! Why are there no supporters discussion about this team? Nobody interested?

I'll be going for sure, but I have doubts about where this team fits in Ottawa long term, with the Fury PDL team established, and the new NASL team coming in 2013.

I'll still buy my Fury season ticket though. $30 if you buy before April 1 - you can't beat that value.

I'll be going for sure, but I have doubts about where this team fits in Ottawa long term, with the Fury PDL team established, and the new NASL team coming in 2013.

I'll still buy my Fury season ticket though. $30 if you buy before April 1 - you can't beat that value.

Is the 2013 NASL team a lock? Maybe it's just going to be this one that will make the transition?

Is the 2013 NASL team a lock? Maybe it's just going to be this one that will make the transition?

Would say it's not really a lock but a definite possibility if Hunt-Pugh want it to happen (and all indications point to that being the case).

This CSL 'one' has nothing to do with any NASL team. Two completely different groups.

Reports in the Ottawa Citizen today say that the new CFL team may be delayed until 2014 with legal challenges to the new Lansdowne Park stadium. This would presumably also delay a new NASL team, so Capital City may get an extra year of operation as the highest level of soccer available in Ottawa. That may increase the chance of success. If the team is performing well on the field and the game day experience at Terry Fox is being improved, it may compete with an unproven NASL team in a CFL stadium.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm only here for a minute, but, from what I've seen it seems like the CCFC thing isn't just a pipe dream, or a time filler til 2013, and the non-profit startup idea seems to harken a Swangaard approach to getting a stadium. But, what do I know. I'm just that jerk.

I see where your coming from but I have been hearing the owners plans and I really think CCFC will be quite the franchise depending on how the firt year goes, Mr. Malhotra seems quite serious about Capital going places so we will see what happens.

• 1 month later...

Archived