CSL Official in Ottawa!

Yeah for sure - they waited forever! This will have an affect on the PDL team for sure here in Ottawa.

The CSL season kicks of early may correct?

There is a ton of local talent here in Ottawa, I would expect that they be very competitive from the get go. And apparently the coach / TD has extensive networks and is looking for a lot of overseas talent. I hope they can compete this year with all teams, and then build more for next year, as you said, it is a bit close to get a team together. Talent maybe, but chemistry etc will be tough..

Expect to see in my opinion Julien Edwards (U23 Canadian int), Adrian Leroy (just released from the Rapids Camp), Ladi Bushiri (former pro in Maylasia super league).. Will Beague is another name, should he not crack FC edmonton roster he will be back in Ottawa.

Another name that comes to mind is Andrei Raducanu? He was with the Impact for a few years, from Ottawa (originally romania).. Is this enough to get him back to Ottawa?

I look forward to the CSL back in Ottawa, its been to long since I have seen a game!

Has anyone been to the Terry Fox Athletics Facility? What are your impressions?

Meh. Home of the 80's Ottawa Intrepid!

Honestly haven't been in ages, when Ottawa high schools used to host their soccer finals there. It's old and probably fairly beaten down.

Meh. Home of the 80's Ottawa Intrepid!

Honestly haven't been in ages, when Ottawa high schools used to host their soccer finals there. It's old and probably fairly beaten down.

I've played on the field a few times over the last couple years and it is in pretty good shape. The facility itself is pretty good although there's a track around field so that will take away from some of the atmosphere. From what I read on the team's website this should be a pretty good set up with two licensed areas and an area for families.

Some comments on Capital CityFC....

One the selected coach is not much more then a high school coach from his resume he has been an assistant at a NAIA Baptist school, and worked on the LA Galaxy Office... and did some type of work for Everton in camps in North America etc.... so coaching level and skill for a pro team ... not up to scratch expect him to be gone half way through season.

Club is running open try-outs charging 100 dollars to come out for a day... mmmm not a fan of such pay to apply for job situations, if the club has affliated with Ottawa South United a major youth club in the region, why have they not sat down and gotten a list of top local prospects and invited them in for an assessment.

Terry Fox.... ah.. the running track, aluminum seats, lousy parking, spoty bus service, only saving grace you can walk to the beach and play some beach soccer if your bored. Its a city owned facility the primary tenet is the Ottawa Track Club that will not change so I expect a lot of what will be considered game day atmosphere...etc will be lacking, expect to see piles of track equipment at the end zone areas etc.

Ticket price points... season ticket up at over $135 ... and game day tickets at 16.00 too much money... for the league and product.

Game day tickets should be priced at $10.00 with season tickets at a 50 discount to game day price.

So in my opinion a D+ for the start up... is it fixable, yes some of the points above will be fixed as time goes on price point will come down when low attendance happens, coach weakness will have to addressed quickly or the team will not win any games .... they might want to call in some folks with more experience with soccer in Ontario to get a handle on things.

Youth affliation is fine but its not going to do anything for them short term...

If schedule ends up with two games per weekend on road to save money ... on travel and they play on Saturday or Sunday in Ottawa they wont succeed at the box office, games have to be .. one away .. and then play at home on Thursday nights at 7:30 before folks go off to the cottage or to other summer events.

The club is apparently created as a non-profit club... so it remains to be seen who the board of directors will be and who is investing money and what the financials will be for the non profit entity.

One the selected coach is not much more then a high school coach from his resume he has been an assistant at a NAIA Baptist school, and worked on the LA Galaxy Office... and did some type of work for Everton in camps in North America etc.... so coaching level and skill for a pro team ... not up to scratch expect him to be gone half way through season.

Club is running open try-outs charging 100 dollars to come out for a day... mmmm not a fan of such pay to apply for job situations, if the club has affliated with Ottawa South United a major youth club in the region, why have they not sat down and gotten a list of top local prospects and invited them in for an assessment.

Terry Fox.... ah.. the running track, aluminum seats, lousy parking, spoty bus service, only saving grace you can walk to the beach and play some beach soccer if your bored. Its a city owned facility the primary tenet is the Ottawa Track Club that will not change so I expect a lot of what will be considered game day atmosphere...etc will be lacking, expect to see piles of track equipment at the end zone areas etc.

Ticket price points... season ticket up at over $135 ... and game day tickets at 16.00 too much money... for the league and product.

Game day tickets should be priced at $10.00 with season tickets at a 50 discount to game day price.

So in my opinion a D+ for the start up... is it fixable, yes some of the points above will be fixed as time goes on price point will come down when low attendance happens, coach weakness will have to addressed quickly or the team will not win any games .... they might want to call in some folks with more experience with soccer in Ontario to get a handle on things.

Youth affliation is fine but its not going to do anything for them short term...

If schedule ends up with two games per weekend on road to save money ... on travel and they play on Saturday or Sunday in Ottawa they wont succeed at the box office, games have to be .. one away .. and then play at home on Thursday nights at 7:30 before folks go off to the cottage or to other summer events.

The club is apparently created as a non-profit club... so it remains to be seen who the board of directors will be and who is investing money and what the financials will be for the non profit entity.

If what you say is true, I can't see this club lasting long either.

The $12.50/session for Erin Mills trials was bad enough, but this is even worse. Who wants to pay $100 to tryout for a club in a joke league?

An NCAA player can play in the PDL and maintain their eligibility...is that also the case with the CSL? Or is it considered a purely "professional" league?
you play CSL you cant be in the NCAA...... its professional.

So there is organised gambling on the game outcomes something the NCAA is deeply afraid of.

The Capital City web site lays it out quite clearly... ( kudos to them on this ).

CAPITAL CITY FC INAUGURAL COMBINE

Be a part of PROFESSIONAL SOCCER during the summer, a Canadian Soccer League ( CSL ) team

has been established and will begin its inaugural season May of 2011.

WHO: Partnered with some of the top universities, the top youth club in Ottawa, Capital City FC is

set to compete within the Canadian Soccer League. http://canadiansoccerleague.com/index.htm

WHAT: Capital City FC provides players with the opportunity to compete in a professional soccer

league Note: Playing for Capital FC will be violating NCAA and CIAU eligibility rules.

WHEN: Season – If player is selected the CSL season will run from mid-MAY through end of

SEPTEMBER / mid-OCTOBER.

WHERE: the team is based in Ottawa Canada and will play its home games at the Terry Fox

Stadium.

TRYOUTS – ALL players interested in being part of the Capital City FC team must attend trials.

Trial dates are as follows…

Saturday March 26

check-in 11am

tryouts will run from 12pm-2pm at the Coliseum Dome ( map )

(OPEN TRIAL to all Graduating college players competing within NCAA, NAIA or CIAU)

Sunday March 27

check-in 8am

tryouts will run from 9am-11am at the Coliseum Dome ( map )

Tryout Cost:

Cost per player trying out is $100*

*Players that make the final team will be refunded the $100 tryout fee

FACTS: Playing for Capital City FC violates NCAA, NAIA & CIAU rules for players under scholarship,

and may limit a player’s future eligibility to compete at the College or University level.

QUESTIONS: Please contact us via email at tryouts@capitalcityfc.com

The CSL is a pretty good quality product, probably a bit better than PDL. Having watched a few Milltown matches last season, the game is quicker than PDL and a bit more skillful. I'm not sure the CSL is there to get NCAA/CIS current or potential talent. It's meant to provide local (and a few non-local) players an opportunity to make a few bucks; and I mean a "few" cause no one is going to be able to make a living playing CSL only. But there is a niche for it, whether there is a niche in Ottawa, who knows? I'll definitely try it out but at $16 a pop, it may only get one chance at it for me. Having said that, I agree with everyone that $100 for a tryout is ridiculous.

If true, I don't expect them to stick around very long

I don't think the $100 tryout fee is ridiculous, Ottawa wants serious applicants otherwise any dummy would come out and tryout wasting the coaches and the club's time. Remember they don't have much time...

If you make the team the $100 is given back which makes it pretty obvious that they just put that fee to attract talent that is capable of actually making the team.

I don't think the $100 tryout fee is ridiculous, Ottawa wants serious applicants otherwise any dummy would come out and tryout wasting the coaches and the club's time. Remember they don't have much time...

If you make the team the $100 is given back which makes it pretty obvious that they just put that fee to attract talent that is capable of actually making the team.

You can sort out the player very very quickly.... twelve minute run to see who is the slowest... drop the last twenty five... off you go.... then do some sprints...drop the last two in each sprint group ... then have players scrimage... small sided see who can touch the ball etc... then tap out those who dont meet your standard.. now your probably down to under twenty if you started with one hundred... now you can set up what ever method of evaluation you want... but since you have no players on your squad you probably just want them to play and .... then see who starts to work together and has pace and spatial sense.

If a club head coach cannot do this.. she or he should not be a club head coach.

Having attended trials where there was no fee, I recall about 80+ people trying out for a team and there was maybe 5 players (including a keeper) who had no business being there (or maybe they just had a bad day, who knows?). I'm not completely convinved that if you waived the fee, any dummy would go out. There would still be a decent standard there...and they would be gone by the first day anyways if they weren't good enough.

Now, in fairness to Ottawa, waiving the $100 fee if you make the team is a good move.

I had the same first thought when I saw the season ticket price, but when you consider that the Ottawa Fury charge $10 a game for single tickets, maybe this isn't so far out. It does mean that they will need to work harder at marketing the team, and so far there has been very little buzz.

I had the same first thought when I saw the season ticket price, but when you consider that the Ottawa Fury charge $10 a game for single tickets, maybe this isn't so far out. It does mean that they will need to work harder at marketing the team, and so far there has been very little buzz.

Fury draws hundreds of fans a game at 10 a ticket. So 16.00 isn't much of a stretch, although I would say it is a bit high.

It's going to be interesting to see how the CSL v PDL thing works out here. The Ottawa Fury are a fairly well known brand in the soccer community in Ottawa. In fact, anytime I've gone to one of their games, I see a lot of kids wearing their gear; a lot of it might be because they are/have been involved in one of the many camps they run or even may play on one of the youth teams. The PDL season also is much shorter but play in what I would call the perfect summer period, while the CSL may have the same challenges as AAA baseball had in Ottawa, really crappy attendances until June then a few peaks for the rest of the season.

And hey TFC Regina, $16 is a bit of a stretch from $10. It's 60% more. You're an economist, you should know that. :-)

It's going to be interesting to see how the CSL v PDL thing works out here. The Ottawa Fury are a fairly well known brand in the soccer community in Ottawa. In fact, anytime I've gone to one of their games, I see a lot of kids wearing their gear; a lot of it might be because they are/have been involved in one of the many camps they run or even may play on one of the youth teams. The PDL season also is much shorter but play in what I would call the perfect summer period, while the CSL may have the same challenges as AAA baseball had in Ottawa, really crappy attendances until June then a few peaks for the rest of the season.

And hey TFC Regina, $16 is a bit of a stretch from $10. It's 60% more. You're an economist, you should know that. :-)

^ Yeah, but I'm assuming demand for soccer in Ottawa is inelastic. ;)

Properly marketed, CCFC has a real opportunity to snatch up some real numbers for support before serious NASL talk starts up. A scarf photo campaign seems like a good idea with all of the monuments in Ottawa. Maybe try to get leaflets into some of the local pubs, sell discounted tickets to students, give some tickets away through elementary and high schools.

If the brains behind this operation can manage to get 1,500 or more people, the stadium will be sufficiently full that everyone leaving the game will view it as a "hot-ticket".

Above all else, of course, a competitive club is the best possible way to draw supporters.

Archived