So, what cities will the Women's World Cup be held in?

Drew Shaw

I don't think anyone knows anything more than the seven listed - Moncton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver. I think it's assumed that there will be six sites and that Halifax is on the bubble (no real movement on building a stadium).

Here in the Centre of Canada™ there is much gnashing of teeth over the CSA leaving Toronto out of that list. Toronto did not put up a bid bond and Pan Am games organizers have deliberately pooh-poohed the idea of the WWC coming before them (I've heard they are actually contractually obligated not to host an international tournament prior to Pan Am).

FIFA and CSA will conduct a site visit as early as this fall to the potential venue cities.

That's the best we've got at the moment.

The Germans are playing matches in nine cities and the field for this years WWC is only 16. I would think that with 24 teams in the 2015 WWC that cities like Moncton and Halifax could "share" a group provided facilities are available. The same could be said for Vancouver, Victoria and Edmunton, Calgary. Don't final group matches have to be played at the same time anyway? What is the minimum seating required by FIFA for a first round match?

I'm not sure if this ship has sailed now, but our local paper a month or so ago there was an article that Kingston may bid to be a host city.

Actually, IIRC they were offering to be involved up to but not including hosting actual games. Home training grounds for a team or two?

Archived