Adam Straith Interview on Fifa.com

Lordsnooty

One bad play and you're ready to hang him. You must be a soccer fan :)

Seriously give him a break. He'll learn from his mistakes.

ummm no , that was bad play among many more bad plays . During a bad game among many more bad games from Straith ..

ummm no , that was bad play among many more bad plays . During a bad game among many more bad games from Straith ..

How many games have you watched Straith play? He was a 20 year old player on his wrong side in a position he has never played before against a top notch opponent and next to an equally shaky CB. He is a good player with a lot of potential and ideally he would be playing only with the U23 at this point in his career if we were not so weak at the back.

How many games have you watched Straith play? He was a 20 year old player on his wrong side in a position he has never played before against a top notch opponent and next to an equally shaky CB. He is a good player with a lot of potential and ideally he would be playing only with the U23 at this point in his career if we were not so weak at the back.

I know you have a soft spot for Straith. I have seen 5/6 of his games with the first team. I was never impressed. I don't think his poor passing and poor ball control is a result of him being out of position. His poor defending perhaps.

I know you have a soft spot for Straith. I have seen 5/6 of his games with the first team. I was never impressed. I don't think his poor passing and poor ball control is a result of him being out of position. His poor defending perhaps.

There is nothing wrong with his passing or ball control other than he is definitely weaker on his left foot than his right which was noticeable when he was playing on the left in the last game. He does make defensive mistakes though which is why I prefer him as a right back to a centre. Last year he was playing right back for Cottbus which is not his preferred position but I think it suits him better. He is actually quite good at going forward and moving and passing the ball when he is on his strong side but I don't think he is strong enough defensively to be a CB at the international level yet.

Joepaco, I can't believe that you have ACTUALLY watched the last 5 of 6 matches that Straith has played for us at age 19 and 20. Did you even know that he was mentioned as a one of three Canadian players that the Peruvian coach highly acknowledged after their game in Toronto last Sep. If YOU are SUPPOSED to be a FAN, I'm cynical; Are you a Dad?

Since when does of fan of a team have to be in complete awe of every player? Are you going to tell me that no other players have ever been criticized here before.....?

Seriously guys, stop being so soft and realise to criticism is also to be expected.

Since when does of fan of a team have to be in complete awe of every player? Are you going to tell me that no other players have ever been criticized here before.....?

Seriously guys, stop being so soft and realise to criticism is also to be expected.

I have no problem with people criticizing the players and often do so myself when I feel it is warranted. I do have a problem when the criticism is not valid, ie. when someone starts out with "he sucks" and then when questioned about it tries to elaborate by saying things about the player that are obviously not true to anyone who has objectively observed the player play for some time. Passing and ball control are actually strengths of Straith other than that his left foot is weaker than the right. Straith's main weaknesses are he sometimes makes mental errors that can lead to goals (probably to be expected at his age) and his positioning is sometimes poor when he is being attacked one on one (instead of using his position to move the attacker to where he wants him the attacker often manages to move Straith). These are two things that will hopefully improve with time and experience but of course his lack of club playing time at the moment are hindering this.

I have no problem with people criticizing the players and often do so myself when I feel it is warranted. I do have a problem when the criticism is not valid, ie. when someone starts out with "he sucks" and then when questioned about it tries to elaborate by saying things about the player that are obviously not true to anyone who has objectively observed the player play for some time. Passing and ball control are actually strengths of Straith other than that his left foot is weaker than the right. Straith's main weaknesses are he sometimes makes mental errors that can lead to goals (probably to be expected at his age) and his positioning is sometimes poor when he is being attacked one on one (instead of using his position to move the attacker to where he wants him the attacker often manages to move Straith). These are two things that will hopefully improve with time and experience but of course his lack of club playing time at the moment are hindering this.

obviousy we have different standards and what we expect to see from a pro player playing on a national team is clearly different.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Now to something important , are you planning on going to Detroit ? let me know via facebook or pm or whatever.

Archived