30th Anniversary of the 1980-81 NASL Indoor Championship of the Edmonton Drillers

Over their four-year history in the NASL, the Edmonton Drillers had very few highlights. In the outdoor game, they managed only one winning season (17-15 in 1980) and one division title, while compiling a disappointing 48-78 regular season record.

Indoors, however, this was a totally different team. Going 10-8 in the 1980-81 regular season and 13-5 in the 1981-82 regular season (and winning their division). The greatest day in the Drillers brief NASL history came on March 7th, 1981 when they defeated the Chicago Sting 5-4 before 16,257 fans at Chicago Stadium. The win capped a 6-game playoff winning streak where they swept 3 2-game series against the Los Angeles Aztecs 8-3 and 10-6; the Vancouver Whitecaps 9-7 and 6-4; and Chicago 9-6 and 5-4.

As favourites in the 1981-82 season, the Drillers looked on their way to a second title after sweeping the Seattle Sounders in the first round 8-6 and 12-4 but became the first victims of the greatest dynasty in indoor soccer, the San Diego Sockers by scores of 8-2 and 12-3 (both games played in San Diego because Edmonton could not secure the Coliseum on the date specified by the NASL).

With the arrival of the new NASL and FC Edmonton as a part of the new league, it is important that we remember the legacy of the sport in Alberta's capital.

Nice post. Is kai Haaskivi still floating around the US, these days? I've always wondered what came of some of those guys. We know what some of them are doing but how about players like Goosens, or Hilkes or John Baretta? How about Computer Lomola? I heard somewhere awhile back that he was doing soccer commentary in africa(Kaiser Chiefs).

Great post, Drillers81. Great memories.

Nice post. Is kai Haaskivi still floating around the US, these days? I've always wondered what came of some of those guys. We know what some of them are doing but how about players like Goosens, or Hilkes or John Baretta? How about Computer Lomola? I heard somewhere awhile back that he was doing soccer commentary in africa(Kaiser Chiefs).

Great post, Drillers81. Great memories.

I remember meeting the team at the airport and there was a bit of a convoy on the way back with some of us honking our horns all the way. the Game at the Edmonton Gardens was a real highlight. Granitza wasnt too impressed with the Garndens rink-called it a smelly barn. But what a barn it was!! We beat the sting in there.

Archived