Canadians abroad: March 4-10, 2011

wow-

I was convinced he was brought in to make up numbers but the J2 season has started this weekend and Matt Lam started the first match, making him the first Canadian to play professionally in Japan! 3-0 at halftime to JEF United Chiba playing at home to Kitakyushu. Lam picked up a yellow in the 35th min. and was subbed out on min 82. van Gessel also started, BTW.

Kitakyushu were 19th last season while Chiba narrowly missed out on promotion with a fourth place finish.

Canada could use a 6 ft tall young midfielder getting decent pro minutes. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

Congratulations to the kid!

Good news for our U23 squad too

wow-

I was convinced he was brought in to make up numbers but the J2 season has started this weekend and Matt Lam started the first match, making him the first Canadian to play professionally in Japan! 3-0 to JEF United Chiba playing at home to Kitakyushu. Lam picked up a yellow in the 35th min. and was subbed out on min 82. van Gessel also started, BTW.

Kitakyushu were 19th last season while Chiba narrowly missed out on promotion with a fourth place finish.

Canada could use a 6 ft tall young midfielder getting decent pro minutes. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

Wow that's great news. JEF United is not a small club either, and are usually in J1. がんばれ, Matt!

Pozniak was a late sub (71 min.) into Haugesund's 1-0 friendly win over Sogndal in La Manga.

Two more friendlies before the Norwegian Tippeligaen starts March 20th.

Interesting quote on Poz from a Haugesund site:"Chris has not been as bad as many suggest. He is also a very versatile player who can play useful in several places. I think he has exceeded what we expected."

wow-

I was convinced he was brought in to make up numbers but the J2 season has started this weekend and Matt Lam started the first match, making him the first Canadian to play professionally in Japan! 3-0 to JEF United Chiba playing at home to Kitakyushu. Lam picked up a yellow in the 35th min. and was subbed out on min 82. van Gessel also started, BTW.

Lam also wears the #10 for his club! Anyone know if he was involved in any of the goals?

no idea - but he has a new chant in his honour:

Was curious about the stadium and fans so did a bit of research. Obviously from the pic they are away fans and it is a pretty far away match for Chiba, over 1000 kms. Doesn't look like a very nice stadium and it isn't but of course that is the stadium of Kitakyushu. Matthew will be playing at home in a much nicer stadium:

800px-Fukuda_Denshi_Arena_(2008).jpg

England

2nd half

Hull 0 : 1 Burnley - Edgar on the bench

Ipswich 0 : 1 Reading - Peters on the bench, no Gage

Leicester 1 : 1 Norwich - Jackson on the bench

Preston 0 : 1 Leeds - Hume starts

Burton 1 : 0 Lincoln - McCallum starts

Friendly

Haugesund (Pozniak) 2 - 0 Lov Ham

Germany

Bayern (Am) 1 - 0 Offenbach (Occean)

-Hume scored in the 63rd to make it only a one goal game with Leeds still leading 2-1 in the 73rd

-McCallum goes 62 min as Lincoln City loose to Peschisolido's Burton Albion 3-1 as the Brewers go 4 pts clear of the drop zone

Hume has to be a first choice forward/winger IMHO, he's starting every week when healthy and potting some goals: "Keith Treacy found Iain Hume and the forward halved the deficit with a well-taken shot from just outside the box."I sure hope we see him called for the next friendly and Gold Cup!

Hume has to be a first choice forward/winger IMHO, he's starting every week when healthy and potting some goals: "Keith Treacy found Iain Hume and the forward halved the deficit with a well-taken shot from just outside the box."I sure hope we see him called for the next friendly and Gold Cup!

Anyone else concerned that his club is almost certainly headed for Lg 1?

Archived