Canadians abroad: March 4-10, 2011

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 4-10, 2011.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Finland - Liiga Cup

MyPa 1 - 2 TPS Turku, Riley Oneill SCORED for MyPa in the 87th minute

Friendly

Vålerenga (Hirschfeld) 0 - 0 Lilleström

Turkey

Kayserispor 1 - 2 Manisaspor, Josh Simpson is not in the squad.

Netherlands

2nd half

Veendam (Marrello) 1 : 0 Sittard

France

1st half

Sedan 1 : 0 Nimes (Al-Shaibani)

Eerste Divisie

BV Veendam (Marello) 4 - 1 Fortuna Sittard

Congratulations to Alex Marello who played his first minutes at Eerste Divisie level. He came in at 84' in midfield position.

Now, I'm not sure if Alex assisted the 4th and last Veendam goal, he has #12 and I think it's the #12 who made the cross on the 4th goal.

http://www.jupilerleague.nl/match.php?id=f384210

Eerste Divisie

BV Veendam (Marello) 4 - 1 Fortuna Sittard

Congratulations to Alex Marello who played his first minutes at Eerste Divisie level. He came in at 84' in midfield position.

Now, I'm not sure if Alex assisted the 4th and last Veendam goal, he has #12 and I think it's the #12 who made the cross on the 4th goal.

http://www.jupilerleague.nl/match.php?id=f384210

It is actually his second appearance for Veendam. He came on at minute 87 on feb. 11th in their 5-1 win over Almere City.

Hirschfeld played 90 in that scoreless draw.

Haidar rode pine as Nimes lost 1-0 away to Sedan after losing a defender to two yellow cards only 30 minutes in. They are one spot off of the relegation zone and looking pretty terrible at the moment.

-Junior Hoilett scored Blackburn's 2nd goal in the 65th as they fall to Fulham 3-2 after Fulham was rewarded a late PK in the 87th.

-Edgar subbed into the game in the 90th as Burnley beat Crystal Palace 1-0

-Jackson got on in the 81st and Hume got a yellow as he went 90 in a 1-1 draw between Norwich and PNE

-Junior Hoilett scored Blackburn's 2nd goal in the 65th as they fall to Fulham 3-2 after Fulham was rewarded a late PK in the 87th.

-Edgar subbed into the game in the 90th as Burnley beat Crystal Palace 1-0

-Jackson got on in the 81st and Hume got a yellow as he went 90 in a 1-1 draw between Norwich and PNE

Hume had quite a good match from what I read, he's always involved with the attack! I'm almost to the point of saying Junior Hoilett isn't worth the attention we're giving him, he'll never play for Canada IMHO!

Timisoara might be down a man...or Cluj. My latin languages aren't that strong and i can't seem to get google translate to work on this webpage. A Red Card was given, Timisoara is mentioned in the statement but I am not sure if they are saying a timisoaran player was the victim of a foul or if the player who received the card plays for Timisoara.

Hutchinson did indeed score a nice goal (I'll post a video later). The game stayed 2-1 until late when both teams scored on questionable penalty decisions in extra time, so PSV come out 3-2 winners and maintain their 1st place position over FC Twente.

Hutchinson was named man of the match by the television viewers, and was interviewed afterwards (in English) and presented with a bottle of champagne, his first of the season. (Awarded every game to the MOTM, I guess).

wow-

I was convinced he was brought in to make up numbers but the J2 season has started this weekend and Matt Lam started the first match, making him the first Canadian to play professionally in Japan! 3-0 to JEF United Chiba playing at home to Kitakyushu. Lam picked up a yellow in the 35th min. and was subbed out on min 82. van Gessel also started, BTW.

Kitakyushu were 19th last season while Chiba narrowly missed out on promotion with a fourth place finish.

Canada could use a 6 ft tall young midfielder getting decent pro minutes. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

Congratulations to the kid!

Archived