Mens olympic under 23 camp, l.a. California

Guest ERIN MILLS

Thanks for the report Max. Appreciate your impartial opinion on our goalkeeper.

True, that was nice to read.

Max, do you think Jensen has the potential to play pro in the future? I've looked at his NCAA team and they seem to be an average program but sometimes you can find a gem or two in those teams.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, that was nice to read.

Max, do you think Jensen has the potential to play pro in the future? I've looked at his NCAA team and they seem to be an average program but sometimes you can find a gem or two in those teams.

Just came back from our boys training. Yesterdays starting 10 had very light practice. Adam and subs had normal session. It was very intense. And from my point of view I can say that boys were doing much better than the once who had played yesterday. I hope to see good game on Friday.

Yes, I think that Mr. Jenssen can turn pro in very near future. He is very good on the line, doesn’t hesitate 1 on 1 and crosses. He is using both legs to clear the ball. Of course there are some things he has to work on, but there is no 20 year old goalkeeper who is already master of the net. One thing what he needs to change now, and that is my opinion and my opinion only, it’s communication with his defenders. All 90 min’s I didn’t see him to say anything. Sorry guys for giving you wrong name of the player who scored first goal. Our boys didn’t have numbers on uniforms so I made mistake.

Guest ERIN MILLS

Anyone know what time game is tomorrow, LA GALAXY vs OLYMPIC U23 TEAM?

Anyone doing any updates on twitter? Or anywhere else?

Anyone know what time game is tomorrow, LA GALAXY vs OLYMPIC U23 TEAM?

Anyone doing any updates on twitter? Or anywhere else?

I would expect LA Galaxy's Twitter account to be the one to go to for updates.

Actually the first goal was own goal. Our GK was just about to pick up low cross, but unfortunately one of ours center defenders decided to clear the ball when running towards net. Second goal was scored by fully open player who headed the ball from around 3 meters. Next goal was break away and our GK was beaten by hard shot. Three of our defenders were just watching Galaxy player running to the ball. Fourth goal that was another break away and again striker wasn’t challenge by our defense.

In 5 minute of the play we had the best chance for scoring. Our striker had break away, but Galaxy GK came to the task and made nice save. There were 3 more attempts from our side, but from far away and couldn’t do any harm to Galaxy. All game long LA team was showing us how things should be done. They opened our defense more than 15 times. I won’t be surprise if 60 to 70% of players from this camp won’t be call again. To be fair some of Canadian players showed never die attitude, but it wasn’t enough to match very skillful American side.

A 4-0 loss shouldn't be tolerated at this level.

Regardless of opponent, and the actual make up of the team itself?

LA is likely a top 3 MLS side, and won the Supporters Shield last year. Canada's experimental team they've got in LA was never going to compete with that.

A 4-0 loss shouldn't be tolerated at this level.

Can't agree with this. You never want to lose, ever, but we're not exactly talking two equally matched sides taking each other on.

Fonseca and Hart certainly do have a challenge on their hands though.....qualifying a team to the Olympics would provide a big boost to the CSA in terms of the relationship between the men's program and Own The Podium.

Our u23 team has not been good for long time. The talent depth and the number of professional players the mens pool is just not there to have a quality Olympic side. Some are expressing surprise at the results. But I don't know why. You just need to look at the roster for this camp to realize that that there are too many player without a solid professional footing so you can't say it shouldn't be tolerated because there is nothing you can do about it.

The development programs that have been put in place in the recent years will yield benefits but the u23 program will be the last program to gain from them. There is no 22 yr old player thats (right now) been in an academy, the pool of cnds in MLS is still relatively tiny, u 23 matches are not on the FIFA calendars you have hard time getting euro based players, and finally, there is only 2 teams from concacaf that qualify.

This rollercoaster in California is interesting. Beating a lowly Chivas and losing to a top level Galaxy is not a bad string of results. Of course without the feedback of how the game progressed it's hard to say whether we should be content or disappointed.

Either way, these games are about development and not results, so lets hope there was some good development taking place.

"A 4-0 loss shouldn't be tolerated at this level" "YOU" shouldn't be tolerated at this, or any other level, on this forum, in my minor mind. We're a supporter's group. WHAT are YOU?

I'm someone who likes seeing change and progression for our national teams and the CSA. Please leave your personal attacks on other members at the door. After all, we're a supporter's group, as you say.

The result needs to be looked at in the context of other youth national team pre-season games, like the mostly 2nd string U.S u17 men's team drawing the Philadelphia Union 1-1 this preseason in February. http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2011/02/union-draw-first-preseason-match-1-1. Yes the galaxy are a better team than the union,and it's now over half way through pre season training for MLS squads, but u23's are men, and not boys like a u17 team. Just because we had a good result earlier in the camp doesn't mean we should get complacent.

I'm someone who likes seeing change and progression for our national teams and the CSA. Please leave your personal attacks on other members at the door. After all, we're a supporter's group, as you say.

The result needs to be looked at in the context of other youth national team pre-season games, like the mostly 2nd string U.S u17 men's team drawing the Philadelphia Union 1-1 this preseason in February. http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2011/02/union-draw-first-preseason-match-1-1. Yes the galaxy are a better team than the union,and it's now over half way through pre season training for MLS squads, but u23's are men, and not boys like a u17 team. Just because we had a good result earlier in the camp doesn't mean we should get complacent.

This ^

If US teenagers get results vs. MLS teams I don't think we should settle for a 4-0

• 2 weeks later...
From what I heard about this camp, it was rather disappointing. Players showed up out of shape and this isn't the first time. Despite the result against Chivas, they were outplayed in that game as well.

Fonseca has to be on thin ice, this guy hasn't done **** in 2+ years now and can't even drill into a bunch of college kids the expectations of professionalism. "Kids, if you want to be a pro and earn another callup to the team maybe you should be doing some extra 10K runs in your sparetime!". Flush the system, get rid of the coaches and only call up the kids who have shown they understand what it takes to compete at this level. Call John Limniatis and give him the job, he'll scare these kids straight.

Fonseca has to be on thin ice, this guy hasn't done **** in 2+ years now and can't even drill into a bunch of college kids the expectations of professionalism. "Kids, if you want to be a pro and earn another callup to the team maybe you should be doing some extra 10K runs in your sparetime!". Flush the system, get rid of the coaches and only call up the kids who have shown they understand what it takes to compete at this level. Call John Limniatis and give him the job, he'll scare these kids straight.

Limniatis or Dasovic would both be good choices imo my only hope is that these kids who are showing up out of shape are the players who were just being given a look. I think we know that a guy like Teibert who should be a starter for this team didn't show up out shape. We need a camp at a time when we can get first choice players.

Also, call up Andrew Kliment. ;)

It's interesting when you actually dissect the 18 that attended the camp and realize that we had ---- 1 professional keeper playing in Poland (makes $), 3 involved with the MLS (makes some $), 1 in the S-league (makes some $), 3 unattached (no $), 6 at University or College (pittance), 2 in the CSL (?), 1 at the PDL level (maybe room and board), and 1 amateur in Germany (not much payment there). LA Galaxy average salary for 2010 NOT including Beckham and Donovan was $85,000, and they are involved in pre-season training with their league to begin this week. If I was a betting man I think I would have gone for LA.

It's interesting when you actually dissect the 18 that attended the camp and realize that we had ---- 1 professional keeper playing in Poland (makes $), 3 involved with the MLS (makes some $), 1 in the S-league (makes some $), 3 unattached (no $), 6 at University or College (pittance), 2 in the CSL (?), 1 at the PDL level (maybe room and board), and 1 amateur in Germany (not much payment there). LA Galaxy average salary for 2010 NOT including Beckham and Donovan was $85,000, and they are involved in pre-season training with their league to begin this week. If I was a betting man I think I would have gone for LA.

No question LA should win but the US U18s got a result vs. Vancouver... should we not expect our U23s to not be blown off the pitch at least?

No question LA should win but the US U18s got a result vs. Vancouver... should we not expect our U23s to not be blown off the pitch at least?

I've seen all sort of results involving U-17, U-18, U-99 teams playing against MLS opposition, you can't read much into those. If the Galaxy played near their full potential there's no way the group we had could compete with them. Who in our starting 11 could've started for the Galaxy?

Archived