Canadians abroad: February 18-24, 2011

DJT

Simpson played 90 in a bitter 2-1 loss at home to Trabzonspor who score in the 86th minute. Simpson played great and was involved in the play constantly and made a great pass to a teammate to put him alone on the keeper but he shot right at the keeper. Really offensive exciting attacking football with no concern to defence (reminds me of the Russian league). Very intense atmosphere in Manisa and good to see that outside of Istanbul. It is nice watching a game with a Canadian who is involved in almost every play.

In Germany the Hertha-Cottbus potential Canadian derby has Friend on the bench and Straith not even in the lineup.

Simpson played 90 in a bitter 2-1 loss at home to Trabzonspor who score in the 86th minute. Simpson played great and was involved in the play constantly and made a great pass to a teammate to put him alone on the keeper but he shot right at the keeper. Really offensive exciting attacking football with no concern to defence (reminds me of the Russian league). Very intense atmosphere in Manisa and good to see that outside of Istanbul. It is nice watching a game with a Canadian who is involved in almost every play.

In Germany the Hertha-Cottbus potential Canadian derby has Friend on the bench and Straith not even in the lineup.

Re: Simpson - what about his specific position? How best to support him in that role with the Nats?

Re: Straith - time for people to stop putting him in pen in so many MNT line-ups. He'll definitely get there, but needs patience, I think.

Re: Simpson - what about his specific position? How best to support him in that role with the Nats?

Re: Straith - time for people to stop putting him in pen in so many MNT line-ups. He'll definitely get there, but needs patience, I think.

Simpson plays in almost the same spot on the field for Manisaspor as with us but in a very different tactic. They seem to have the 2 strikers play almost a dual striker/winger role in that they play wide and often withdraw fairly far back but there is no target striker in the centre (he is really running a lot and covering a lot of the pitch). When they go forward they and the midfielders seem very flexible in their roles and advance the ball with short overlapping passing plays. They tend to crowd the side where the ball is with 2 or 3 players who make short passes while the striker on the other side will move to the centre. Passing plays are used much more than crossing and when there is crossing it tends to come from the opposite side towards Simpson.

I think we really need to play a similar tactic with him in the MNT. He is very good at keeping possession and making short passes and dangerous runs but he needs a striker and offensive mids that can support him. With Friend or Occean it seems they are just staying static in the middle between several defenders and Simpson or Jackson need to hit them with a perfect cross. They are often losing the ball because they don't have any options to pass to and thus have to maintain possession too long. We need to use a striker who will come towards Simpson or Jackson when they have the ball and do short passing plays with them. I hope Hart is watching these matches and observing the tactics they are using offensively. I would not implement their whole system as it is defensively very dangerous since the mids are often caught too far up field but he definitely needs a lot more support when he is in the attacking areas.

Simpson plays in almost the same spot on the field for Manisaspor as with us but in a very different tactic. They seem to have the 2 strikers play almost a dual striker/winger role in that they play wide and often withdraw fairly far back but there is no target striker in the centre (he is really running a lot and covering a lot of the pitch). When they go forward they and the midfielders seem very flexible in their roles and advance the ball with short overlapping passing plays. They tend to crowd the side where the ball is with 2 or 3 players who make short passes while the striker on the other side will move to the centre. Passing plays are used much more than crossing and when there is crossing it tends to come from the opposite side towards Simpson.

I think we really need to play a similar tactic with him in the MNT. He is very good at keeping possession and making short passes and dangerous runs but he needs a striker and offensive mids that can support him. With Friend or Occean it seems they are just staying static in the middle between several defenders and Simpson or Jackson need to hit them with a perfect cross. They are often losing the ball because they don't have any options to pass to and thus have to maintain possession too long. We need to use a striker who will come towards Simpson or Jackson when they have the ball and do short passing plays with them. I hope Hart is watching these matches and observing the tactics they are using offensively. I would not implement their whole system as it is defensively very dangerous since the mids are often caught too far up field but he definitely needs a lot more support when he is in the attacking areas.

Brilliant analysis - cheers.

Maybe we need to consider this duel winger/striker option too.

It's a shame Issey isn't as polished (technically able?) as Josh because I could see the two of them linking up quite well - he seems to also be playing this type of game whenever I watch his Danish matches. Maybe Jackson as a striker alongside would work.

I watched the first half and I was surprised about the guy running down the left side at a decent pace. Was that man Josh? (Didn't have sound, so I couldn't know who the guy was and didn't get a close look to see his face.

Yes that was Josh. He is constantly running and has pretty good pace.

Hutchinson is currently in the lineup for PSV as they are home to Lille in Europa League and are up 2-1 (4-3 on aggregate and PSV have 2 away goals) in the 59th minute.

It is being broadcast on Fox Sports World Canada for those of us who are blessed to have the cannel with "Freeview February"!!

Archived