Should Simpson Transfer to a bigger Turkish club?

Obinna

I often find my self imagining Simpson at one of the big 3 clubs, but with his club sitting 7th, and Josh getting better and better, one has to wonder if it is best for him to stay put?

What do you guys think?

This may be a case of stating the obvious but in the first instance it's really up to the clubs to make that decision not the player and it kind of goes without saying that 99 times out of 100 a player will make that sort of move on a Bosman free transfer if a bigger club offers a contract on comparable or better terms. Only thing to ponder maybe is if he is seen as being good enough by Galatasaray, Besiktas and Fenerbahce he might also be getting offers from big clubs elsewhere in Europe (no need for pedantry about most of Turkey being in Asia). Would have thought the question of whether Turkey is the best country to play in might be a better point to discuss at this point.

I agree with the majority here that he should stay! If it's not broke don't fix it!

I think we need more players who are impact guys with their club, sure it doesn't look as sexy on paper, but it will only benifit us.

Also, I would hate for him to go to MLS when his contract expires.

I have a feeling his club will want to resign him, if they wanted to transfer him and make money they would have done so before the transfer winter closed. Can't see them wanting him to go on a free either since his stock is the highest it has ever been.

This may be a case of stating the obvious but in the first instance it's really up to the clubs to make that decision not the player and it kind of goes without saying that 99 times out of 100 a player will make that sort of move on a Bosman free transfer if a bigger club offers a contract on comparable or better terms. Only thing to ponder maybe is if he is seen as being good enough by Galatasaray, Besiktas and Fenerbahce he might also be getting offers from big clubs elsewhere in Europe (no need for pedantry about most of Turkey being in Asia). Would have thought the question of whether Turkey is the best country to play in might be a better point to discuss at this point.

He has been linked with these clubs before so the answer to this question is probabley yes, but I doubt he is good enough to be a consistant starter, which is the most important thing for him I would imagine.

He might be better off financially and that's important obviously when he's heading into what should be the most lucrative years of his career but in terms of quality of soccer it is highly debatable that middle level Euro leagues is the better place to be because overseas soccer definitely isn't always better soccer. Beyond that from a CMNT standpoint having more potential starter quality players playing in CONCACAF timezones doesn't do any harm.

I could see Simpson back in Germany. I asked Frank last year if he thought Kaiserslautern would want him back, i don't remember his answer but it might be an idea.

They are losing their big gun up front this coming summer so K'town will definitely be looking for help at striker. On the other hand, with FC Koeln's surprising wins the last two weeks, K'town have dropped back into potential relegation territory.

Disagree. He should stay overseas as long as possible and not come back to MLS until he absolute is forced to.

I agree with this. The ultimate goal should be to have our top 5-7 players playing in Europe with the rest playing in MLS.

I think the comment about him going to Tranzponsor or Buraspor is interesting because they offer the possibilty of European football and he may get more playing time there than 1 of the big 3, but Manisapor can still realisticlly qualify for Europe (how many points are they out of that spot? 8?)

Also, Atiba to PSV was a proper jump, but the thing about Atiba is his versatility. If Josh transfered to PSV, for example, he would be comming off the bench. We dont want that. As everyone knows the only reason Atiba was in the starting 11 for the first half of the season was because he was able to slot in for the injured right back.

Simpson will be 28 in may, this is probably his last chance for a big pay day. If he can move to a bigger club in the summer transfer window he should do it.

Ya and who knows if he will play

I dont understand players that go to club get the big bucks never get playing time and ruin their career becaus ethey never play a game look at Edger

I think simpson should stay where is he if he enjoys the club and only think about going to a big club if he knows he will have a good shot at getting playing time.

I think simpson should stay where is he if he enjoys the club and only think about going to a big club if he knows he will have a good shot at getting playing time.

So don't try because you might fail? I agree Josh has to ballance his playing and money, but i think it is fair to say he has earned a spot on a bigger club. He shouldn't stay at his current club because he might fail and should forget money.

So don't try because you might fail? I agree Josh has to ballance his playing and money, but i think it is fair to say he has earned a spot on a bigger club. He shouldn't stay at his current club because he might fail and should forget money.

Yes, if you want to get better both as a player and as a national team you have to believe in yourself and take some chances to go to a higher level even if there are risks involved. Do we want a whole national team of guys like DeRo who stayed at a 2nd rate place where they were having success/making a decent salary and never got to a top level or realized their potential? DeRo is a more talented player than Simpson but years of playing in better leagues with better coaches and training have made Simpson a better player than DeRo. He is the 5th top scorer in Turkey right now with 10 goals while the top scorers of both Galatassaray and Besiktas only have 7 goals. There is no reason to think he wouldn't be a starter at one of these "big" Turkish clubs or with a smaller team in one of the top 4 leagues. Also his current competition for striker at Manisaspor includes last year's golden boot winner in Turkey, Makukula and the guy currently tied for 9th spot in the scoring race, Kahe, so it is not like he is getting guaranteed starts because they don't have other players. Both these strikers signed this year for Manisaspor and have contracts until 2013 so possibly the club expects him to leave when his contract runs out. Yes he needs to be smart about where he signs and look for a good club where he has an opportunity (for example Fenerbahce and Trabzonspor have the best strikers in Turkey now so would not be good choices) but it is time to move a step up. He made a pretty big step up from the German 2nd division to the Turkish 1st and has succeeded fantastically so it is time to either go to a bigger club or a better league.

First thing is that Josh went to Europe "late", and has had a relatively short professional year after playing NCAA until age 22. So he does have to think about salary, and about continuing his upward curve. Meaning too early to return to MLS, even though he is a Vancouver boy.

Second, if he has not re-signed with Maniaspor it is likely because he has an offer from a bigger club, or is in talks. Odd considering his year that the club has not already sought a fee for him, as he will almost certainly go on a free transfer this summer. I doubt they can pay what others will offer, even slightly better clubs with more money and history. If he has not accepted a transfer out it could be because he already has a deal, where part of it involves him not re-signing and not accepting a transfer, that is a good deal for any club that may want him.

Turkey as we know is very well scouted, I am sure he has been seen by clubs outside of that country as well. Look for him to go for a bigger club and a better salary, as I doubt he is making more than 350-400 thousand euros right now.

Archived