© His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the

relevant Association;

(d) He has lived continuously on the territory of the relevant Association

for at least two years.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(d) is quite bull**** IMO.

In my eyes c) and d) are total bs, and even B) is a stretch... Absurd that if one of the top leagues that attracts international talent happens to be in your country you basically have a feeder system for your national team. Imagine if in hockey, all the Canadians and internationals playing on US teams were then eligible to represent the US in the World Championships... ridiculous.

Should we not leave the players alone, and let them decide. Hey, I am proud to be Canadian. However first comes the money. Would ********** ever have commanded international attention if he had played for Canada? Our the huge contact?

Second. We do not have a pro league. Just look at Beckham ( and many others) when the go back to land of origin. Watch them in the stands at the lane, the bridge, or O.T. they do not give a monkey about Canadian soccer.Or North American soccer. Why should they?

Look to the Brazilians, that play for countries other than Brazil. The rules are F.I.F.A. rules, not the rules of a backwater soccer nation. How would Canadians feel about Kazihkstan setting policy for world hockey? I thought so.

All the best.

Should we not leave the players alone, and let them decide. Hey, I am proud to be Canadian. However first comes the money. Would ********** ever have commanded international attention if he had played for Canada? Our the huge contact?

Second. We do not have a pro league. Just look at Beckham ( and many others) when the go back to land of origin. Watch them in the stands at the lane, the bridge, or O.T. they do not give a monkey about Canadian soccer.Or North American soccer. Why should they?

Look to the Brazilians, that play for countries other than Brazil. The rules are F.I.F.A. rules, not the rules of a backwater soccer nation. How would Canadians feel about Kazihkstan setting policy for world hockey? I thought so.

All the best.

From what I have read, Canadian Kevin Dallman is going to play for kazakhstan next year when he is eligible, to be fair I think they don't mind the current rules ;). IIHF rules are much more strict than FIFA rules

This makes no sense. OH did command international attention without ever playing for Canada. How else do you think he was on England and Wales' radar? If you are a good player playing in a good league you will get attention. And money.

Please folks, let's not make playing for Canada out to be some gigantic financial sacrifice, and basically label the players as victims. OH was a star on BAYERN MUNICH. The kid wasn't starving. Don't make it seem as though if he had played for Canada he would have been barely making ends meat.

I'm curious: how much do you think he was making at Bayern and was this not enough? To you, how much is enough?

From what I have read, Canadian Kevin Dallman is going to play for kazakhstan next year when he is eligible, to be fair I think they don't mind the current rules ;). IIHF rules are much more strict than FIFA rules

Naturally opinions here have no impact on FIFA's rules for eligibility and are just for speculation but I'd be curious to get people's thoughts on why the rules are the way they are. Who benefits the most from the extremely liberal qualifications for international play?

Naturally opinions here have no impact on FIFA's rules for eligibility and are just for speculation but I'd be curious to get people's thoughts on why the rules are the way they are. Who benefits the most from the extremely liberal qualifications for international play?

Europe, rules benefit who ever has money and Europe is where all the big money is in this game

From FIFA Statues

1. A Player who, under the terms of art. 15, is eligible to represent more than

one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international

match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant

nationality, he fulfills at least one of the following conditions:

(a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

(B) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of

the relevant Association;

© His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the

relevant Association;

(d) He has lived continuously on the territory of the relevant Association

for at least two years.

There's also this:

17 Acquisition of a new nationality

Any Player who refers to art.15 par. 1 to assume a new nationality and who has not played international football in

accordance with art. 15 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following

conditions:

(a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

(B) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

© His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

(d) He has lived continuously for at least fi ve years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

So i'm not sure what the difference is between d) in article 16 and article 17 but i wonder if it's age. ie. if you move to a country before 18 (with your parents obviously) it's 2 years but if you're over 18 it's 5 years.

The CSA is by and large the problem. They really are a shower of clowns. Why would a player of international calibre play for that crowd.

Does anyone here in their heart of hearts believe that the National programme is anything but tragic. For what it is worth I feel for the players, that do play. They deserve more. However as long as we have the CSA we have no chance.

World soccer is moving forward at lightening pace. We here are subject to kindergarten soccer. Would Canadians accept this nonsense in hockey? Of course not.

All the best.

The CSA is by and large the problem. They really are a shower of clowns. Why would a player of international calibre play for that crowd.

Does anyone here in their heart of hearts believe that the National programme is anything but tragic. For what it is worth I feel for the players, that do play. They deserve more. However as long as we have the CSA we have no chance.

World soccer is moving forward at lightening pace. We here are subject to kindergarten soccer. Would Canadians accept this nonsense in hockey? Of course not.

All the best.

Everyone agrees about the CSA, but if I was any good at handball I would still play for Canada because it has nothing to do with the organization running it, but the country it represents. (do we even play international handball?)

I saw a somecanadianguys blog with a great suggestion. I think it was them anyway. If memory serves, it was along the lines of getting Canadian celebs to appeal to players to stay. I know it sounds hokey, but if done well, it could work. If we were to set up like a "not for profit group" whose sole purpose is to raise awareness of the problems in the CSA and the game in Canada, with catchy visuals and a clear message, we might get a bit of traction.

I have access to Camera, editing and sound gear. If we get a list of people to say yes, it might be a start.

I more than ready to pour time into this and write letters to everyone from Gordon Pinsent to Justin Bieber. And if you haven't seen the other Pinsent Bieber video yet, it's gold.

Archived