Hoilett: CAN, JAM, USA and yes ENG

forster01

I am getting sick of hearing about this Kid....screw him...why do we think he is Canada's saviour....he does not score for a Mid-Table premiership team and do you really think he will get that much better serivce up front for Canada....lets focus on the kids who want to play and let ungrateful A** H**** like this never experience he national game with anyone...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not give this LITTLE weasel sooo much press. Pass him bye. HE'S obviously not worth all the hassle he's causing. How could he be a positive in our ranks??

One way to not give him so much attention would be to quit going nuts every time there's some small story about him. Jimmy James has it right, he's not filling the nets and is very much a developing player. Never mind the English squad, he has his work cut out for him merely to stay in the premiership. Unless he shows a lot more he's not likely to ever get a call-up, whether he would help our team is of course unknown but no doubt Hart will continue monitoring him and until he flat out says he'll never play for Canada he'll be a player of interest no matter what anyone here, including me , thinks.

it's time to stop wasting time sending these players e-mails askign them to join our team...time to bombard fifa with calls to change the eligibility rules...it should be the country you were born in or your second nationality...none of this acquiring 3 or 4 potential countries and then holding them all hostage. By the time he is even eligible for england he will be long gone from the english premiership....teams that don't win sell these fringe players in order to survive. remember in england when you transfer you need to get a work permit and sorry without playing A internationals junior isn't exactly top of the list on an appeal. therefore more than likely he'll be transferred out...will he then try to acquire the citizenship of that nation too?

Honestly, close the door on him CSA.

If they want to put an end to this, don't allow the door to remain open. Make an example. I doubt as many future talented footballers from our country would consider risking their int'l careers chasing top european nations they have no ties to, if they lose their "backup plan" by doing so. No respect for Canada by these players and it's partly because the CSA allows us to be a secondary choice for these guys. He's not a lick of English so piss off mate.

I feel like it's a bit of popular opinion on these boards that they'd take any talent that we can get, but I don't agree with it and think it looks bad upon us. Personally I think it pisses off players on our team too, so I truly believe we should find a way to curb this behavior.

Bang on the money. Yes, this may just be sensationalist Brit journalism, but it might not be. Why would Hoilett even mention the US unless there is a shred of truth to it? I would still love him to play for Canada, but this kid is clearly not just trying to focus on his club, he is meticulously considering his chances at playing for a "better" team.

This problem is beyond severe. Its only going to keep happening so long as we be continue "leaving the door open" for these type of players. This policy has only hurt us so far because it just leaves Canada as "good old plan B or C," the nation that will always be there. We need to drop the door mat attitude and start taking control of selection issues and showing these type of players that our national team will not always be an option; put the power back in our own hands because currently it resides in players like Hoiletts. There is no respect for the country of their birth. We on this forum all know what our boys could do if they played for us, but we cant keep wishing for a future that might not come. It is an insult to those that have committed to us now and in the past. Players will start choosing Canada more often if they fear the door wont be open for too long. What will happen in the years to come when the MLS teams academies start to really churn out a new generation of homegrown player? If we dont get this problem under control, we could end up losing four times the amount of good players that we are now.

Indeed. Some good stuff here fellas, despite the sour topic. I say draw a line in the sand as well. Hart should invite whomever he needs for the GC and if they decline without a good reason then all ties should be cut at that point. The line needs to be drawn and I think the GC is the perfect place to draw it.

it's time to stop wasting time sending these players e-mails askign them to join our team...time to bombard fifa with calls to change the eligibility rules...it should be the country you were born in or your second nationality...none of this acquiring 3 or 4 potential countries and then holding them all hostage. By the time he is even eligible for england he will be long gone from the english premiership....teams that don't win sell these fringe players in order to survive. remember in england when you transfer you need to get a work permit and sorry without playing A internationals junior isn't exactly top of the list on an appeal. therefore more than likely he'll be transferred out...will he then try to acquire the citizenship of that nation too?

That's another thing. How the hell did he get a work permit???

Drawing a line in the sand may work for Hart - but when the next coach of MNT (Winter, after two MLS cups for TFC) talks of bringing "still unattached" Holliett in the fold, all bets are dropped. Let's just admit that nationalism and identity aside, not everyone views these things in the same way. Much like everything else in this world. What is needed is the following:

- better and more consistent results and a real push to qualification

- better and more U-17, U20 and U23 camps and MNT camps - seems that this is well underway

- better Canadian soccer scene for young prospects - seems that Impact, TFC and Whitecaps are the best we've got on this front too

I'd say things will improve, and that Canada is no longer a backwater for playing, and eventually it will be more straightforward to go from Whitecaps to MNT, Impact to MNT etc.

Making Canada a more attractive option is one thing, but greater restrictions on FIFA eligilibility are necessary. The way things currently are mean the idea of international football is beginning to lose all meaning. (And I'll admit Canada has benefited from these rules in some instances: Pacheco, de Jong, Will Johnson, Bircham, but our losses have been much greater).

It's almost getting to the point where I actually wouldn't mind seeing the MLS trio bring in a bunch of young (highly talented of course) Brazilians into their academies and naturalize them as soon as possible. Sure that's sinking a bit low, but we are owed a mulligan at this point.

The benefit would be an injection of technical skill into Canadian football, and bringing our program to a level where Canadians actually want to play for Canada. I look at it as a transitioning project.

Drawing a line in the sand may work for Hart - but when the next coach of MNT (Winter, after two MLS cups for TFC) talks of bringing "still unattached" Holliett in the fold, all bets are dropped. Let's just admit that nationalism and identity aside, not everyone views these things in the same way. Much like everything else in this world. What is needed is the following:

- better and more consistent results and a real push to qualification

- better and more U-17, U20 and U23 camps and MNT camps - seems that this is well underway

- better Canadian soccer scene for young prospects - seems that Impact, TFC and Whitecaps are the best we've got on this front too

I'd say things will improve, and that Canada is no longer a backwater for playing, and eventually it will be more straightforward to go from Whitecaps to MNT, Impact to MNT etc.

Suffice to say that half the battle is taking control of our own selection issues and the other half is making Canada a more attractive option. Flat out, the CSA does a sh#t job of managing and therefore marketing our game to Canadians and the world.

This all plays into the reform movement to me. How can we attract the Hoiletts of Canada to play for us when our own association does'nt even play a full slate of games every year, struggles routinley in WCQ, and generally bungles managing the national teams and the game in general? The attitude of a bunch of incompetant self serving autocrats saying "we are doing the best we can" doesnt cut it anymore. Atleast we are starting to finally ask the right questions by pushing for reform.

Think Joe Keeper actually nails it. Also, it frightens me that we could potentially 'shut the door' to players like Hoilett which has seemed so common in the last little while. It also seems like a trend that is only emerging.

By doing this, it may even hurt some of our regular players who still have 'hope' in up and coming Canadian talent. It may disinterest them from taking the call if Canada is going to do this and be less-competitive than they already are. I don't necessarily believe this, but it's just a thought.

Closing the door on any player will not make them play for us. In the case of JDG2 he gave up his citizenship so he could get dutch citizenship. Canada wasn't a back up plan, he had no intention of ever playing for Canada. These players in most cases have no intention of playing for Canada, so banning them from playing for Canada will not do anything except potentially alienate more players

Closing the door on any player will not make them play for us. In the case of JDG2 he gave up his citizenship so he could get dutch citizenship. Canada wasn't a back up plan, he had no intention of ever playing for Canada. These players in most cases have no intention of playing for Canada, so banning them from playing for Canada will not do anything except potentially alienate more players

I don't think we need to ban anybody, I think we just need to avoid begging. If say, Hart calls Hoillett to ask him to come play for Canada in a friendly, and Hoilett refuses, leave it at that. No need to grovel or try to persuade him. Focus on playing a strong game, calling the top eligible Canadian talent, and the victories will start to come.

Hoilett wont make or break the CMNT. he has one prem league goal in 35 games or sometin. including cup games, he has scored 3 goals or something. if he commits to Canada, he wont be the goal-per-game striker that canada needs.

and is it just me, or at the club level, is josh simpson just as good?

^^ agreed. It's so strange to me that a given player can somehow be 4 nationalities at once!!!??????

As far as getting players to choose us goes, I think it's a chicken and egg scenario. Guys on the fence aren't going to choose canada, until we've qualified for a world cup. However, qualifying would be much easier if these guys chose Canada in the first place.

Alas, I think we're going to have to qualify without the absolute best talent we could have before we start to attract the current and future fence sitters.

4 nationalities is nothing! My daugther will be born in April and will have the choice of 5 nations under FIFA rules. Canada, Nicaragua, England, France and the US. She will be born in Canada to parents with Canadian citizenship, her mother was born in Nicaragua, her paternal grandmother was born in England, her paternal grandfather was born in France and her maternal grandfather has acquired US citizenship.

4 nationalities is nothing! My daugther will be born in April and will have the choice of 5 nations under FIFA rules. Canada, Nicaragua, England, France and the US. She will be born in Canada to parents with Canadian citizenship, her mother was born in Nicaragua, her paternal grandmother was born in England, her paternal grandfather was born in France and her maternal grandfather has acquired US citizenship.

Congrats but, anyword on which team she will play for? :D haha

Archived