Hoilett: CAN, JAM, USA and yes ENG

forster01

I think this deserved a new thread because it looks as if we lost another one

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-midfielder-Junior-Hoilett-drops-England-call-up-hint-article695537.html

“If England came along I would consider it, but right now I am just focused on Rovers.

“The calls have come from Canada, but right now I don’t think it’s the right time for me to go.”

Only positive is that he will always consider himself Canadian, but that means nothing

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

possibly the US? I wonder whats happening with that one? That prospect scares me more than the ENG prospect because he could step right into their A team and the US don't exactly have great wing options after Donovan and Dempsey. Always knew england was his number one choice, JAM is not even an option. If it wasn't for that wonder goal he scored I doubt this England talk wouldn't be happening right now. But yeah, I would rather lose him to England than the yanks.

Honestly, close the door on him CSA.

If they want to put an end to this, don't allow the door to remain open. Make an example. I doubt as many future talented footballers from our country would consider risking their int'l careers chasing top european nations they have no ties to, if they lose their "backup plan" by doing so. No respect for Canada by these players and it's partly because the CSA allows us to be a secondary choice for these guys. He's not a lick of English so piss off mate.

I feel like it's a bit of popular opinion on these boards that they'd take any talent that we can get, but I don't agree with it and think it looks bad upon us. Personally I think it pisses off players on our team too, so I truly believe we should find a way to curb this behavior.

Honestly, close the door on him CSA.

If they want to put an end to this, don't allow the door to remain open. Make an example. I doubt as many future talented footballers from our country would consider risking their int'l careers chasing top european nations they have no ties to, if they lose their "backup plan" by doing so. No respect for Canada by these players and it's partly because the CSA allows us to be a secondary choice for these guys. He's not a lick of English so piss off mate.

I feel like it's a bit of popular opinion on these boards that they'd take any talent that we can get, but I don't agree with it and think it looks bad upon us. Personally I think it pisses off players on our team too, so I truly believe we should find a way to curb this behavior.

Agreed, if Hoilett wants to take off on some wild goose chase to get an England spot (he probably won't, and if he does it'll be a short lived international career) let him, we ought to be focused on getting to the world cup as Canadians, not as beggars.

Alright, since evidently my first comment was too vague, I'll elucidate somewhat: Am I the only one thinking this story could be utter B.S.?

Could be that a bored reporter phoned Junior up, said "hey, if the day ever came that England called, would you answer?" He gives some mumbling, non-committal response, which then gets translated into a fervent desire on Junior's part to suit up for the Three Lions.

(In this scenario, I'm picturing Junior as Andy Millman, and the Mirror reporter as the scuzzy dude hanging around outside his apartment, trying to get comment on an incident that took place at a restaurant. If you haven't seen Extras, don't bother trying to parse through that analogy.)

Also, has anyone heard of Hoilett's connection to the US before? I dunno, maybe I've missed something, but I haven't. So, either:

- there's something that makes Junior eligible for the U.S. that most Canadian fans were unaware of,

- Junior is misunderstanding FIFA eligibility rules, or

- the quote was made up, which throws the rest of the article into disrepute

Listen folks, I'm as realistic about Junior's future as any Voyageur should be. But let's not completely throw the kid under the bus based on one report from the notoriously embellishment-friendly British footie press, k?

(In this scenario, I'm picturing Junior as Andy Millman, and the Mirror reporter as the scuzzy dude hanging around outside his apartment, trying to get comment on an incident that took place at a restaurant. If you haven't seen Extras, don't bother trying to parse through that analogy.)

"Can't say 'mental' anymore, can you?"

Probably the best Extras reference I've ever seen. Bravo.

Sounds like a mercenary to me:

“I will always be Canadian, but all the options are open - Canada, Jamaica, possibly the USA and maybe one day England."

If you don't want to wear the Maple Leaf then just say it - "I am not going to represent Canada"

If you might suit up in the Red and White, but only if you are not good enough for England in 3 years, then F off.

In view of these comments (unless they are badly misconstrued and Hoilett and Hart clear the air) I say if Junior does not show for the Gold Cup we forget about him. Let him chase his """english dream"""

:(

Alright, since evidently my first comment was too vague, I'll elucidate somewhat: Am I the only one thinking this story could be utter B.S.?

Could be that a bored reporter phoned Junior up, said "hey, if the day ever came that England called, would you answer?" He gives some mumbling, non-committal response, which then gets translated into a fervent desire on Junior's part to suit up for the Three Lions.

Also, has anyone heard of Hoilett's connection to the US before? I dunno, maybe I've missed something, but I haven't. So, either:

- there's something that makes Junior eligible for the U.S. that most Canadian fans were unaware of,

- Junior is misunderstanding FIFA eligibility rules, or

- the quote was made up, which throws the rest of the article into disrepute

Listen folks, I'm as realistic about Junior's future as any Voyageur should be. But let's not completely throw the kid under the bus based on one report from the notoriously embellishment-friendly British footie press, k?

I agree with Squizz .....The Mirror is notorious for sensationalism...

I don't see it happening, but you never know, USA seems long a real long shot.

England maybe, but he'd just be something to throw at the wall and hope it stick and if not he go the rest of his career with 3 caps for England's senior squad.

I think the more our coaching staff and fans worry about it the worst you get brought down by it. He would be great here and look awesome in the red and white, but it's not him that's some key to the WC no one player is or ever will be. That being said we should just look at welcoming and making it this a great country to represent, instead of sorta ostracizing players that are on the fence of choosing us as it's counter productive and self destructive.

Plus on a side note of a speculation of players allegiances to countries, not sure if it's been noted but Ryan O'Leary a former Scottish U21/U17 player who is on trial at the Whitecaps is technically still eligible for CMNT due to a Canadian mother, and no caps at Scotland senior level.

Archived