Senior A Soccer in New Brunswick

whale_31

This past weekend, the New Brunswick Premier Soccer League received official sanctioning from Soccer NB to become the Province's Senior A men's league beginning this summer.

The website, is www.nbpsl.ca and is still under construction.

The league will have7 teams, home and home format with the play-off champion representing NB at the Challenge Cup.

After having gone many years without a formalized Senior A league, this is a big step forward for Senior Soccer in NB

This past weekend, the New Brunswick Premier Soccer League received official sanctioning from Soccer NB to become the Province's Senior A men's league beginning this summer.

The league will have7 teams, home and home format with the play-off champion representing NB at the Challenge Cup.

After having gone many years without a formalized Senior A league, this is a big step forward for Senior Soccer in NB

Good for new Brunswick. What are the challenges of such a league in New brunswick and why wouldnt it have existed long ago?

I'm surprised to see 3 teams from the north: FC Chaleur, Olympique Madawaska & Restigouche United.

Last year, we ran an exhibition league and both Grand Falls and Edmunston had teams and they combined to made Madawaska this season. There was some talk about Chaleur and Restigouche combining but it didn't work out.

Saint John also combined with Charlotte County this season.

I'd expect in a year or two Moncton will get another team with both Mount A and U de M close by and having strong Youth clubs.

Good for new Brunswick. What are the challenges of such a league in New brunswick and why wouldnt it have existed long ago?

It's been difficult to pull together enough competitive teams to get a proper league running in the past. NB has tried playing in both PEI and NS Senior Leagues but this will be the first time in awhile where it will go ahead as an independant league.

Nice to see a Senior A league again, I know Saint John has a good soccer community.

The problem with NB soccer is that instead of having a major city with a big population, it's population is spread between 3 cities and rural areas which make it difficult to have a centralized league due to travel and logistical problems.(ie teams primarily from Winnipeg in MB, teams from Vancouver in B.C, teams from Halifax in N.S)

The problem with NB soccer is that instead of having a major city with a big population, it's population is spread between 3 cities and rural areas which make it difficult to have a centralized league due to travel and logistical problems.(ie teams primarily from Winnipeg in MB, teams from Vancouver in B.C, teams from Halifax in N.S)

I guess the advantage in alta is all the teams are down one narrow strip of highway that is flat and straight. 4 or 5 in edmonton and 4 in calgary and one in lethbridge.

This pretty much sums it up. If it were only the three main cities, the travel wouldn't be bad (all under 2 hours) but once you have teams from the North, the travel increases significantly. For this season, teams travelling up North will play Saturday and Sunday to decrease travel, not ideal, but necessary for the first year.

Last year, we ran an exhibition league and both Grand Falls and Edmunston had teams and they combined to made Madawaska this season.

Wasn't there a Madawaska entry in the provincials last season? Or is it the same as Edmunston (I know Grand Falls didn't attend)

Saint John also combined with Charlotte County this season.

Who is coaching them? A couple of my friends played for Saint John last season (one of their goalies who was over with me at UCD as well)

Anyway, long story, it's been difficult to get teams due to travel commitments and political BS that has plagued NB for the past few years. One guy, I forget his name (insurance guy...last name Dort?) really messed up Saint John Senior Soccer and almost did the same to Moncton. As an aside, Saint John has gone to an awful soccer community, not much coverage in the local paper (Charlotte County was getting better coverage in their local paper ffs), and Saint John Soccer broke away with Fundy Soccer over political BS.

It's not that great of a league, especially with Picaroons probably gonna run away with it, but I'm interested to see what happens next season

Whale, who you are affiliated with?

Wasn't there a Madawaska entry in the provincials last season? Or is it the same as Edmunston (I know Grand Falls didn't attend)

Who is coaching them? A couple of my friends played for Saint John last season (one of their goalies who was over with me at UCD as well)

Anyway, long story, it's been difficult to get teams due to travel commitments and political BS that has plagued NB for the past few years. One guy, I forget his name (insurance guy...last name Dort?) really messed up Saint John Senior Soccer and almost did the same to Moncton. As an aside, Saint John has gone to an awful soccer community, not much coverage in the local paper (Charlotte County was getting better coverage in their local paper ffs), and Saint John Soccer broke away with Fundy Soccer over political BS.

It's not that great of a league, especially with Picaroons probably gonna run away with it, but I'm interested to see what happens next season

Whale, who you are affiliated with?

I manage the Wanderers team, we lost to Picaroons in the final of the Challenge Cup last year.

Picaroons will liekly be a step above the rest but Moncton has the potential to be very strong as well. Either way, we need to start somewhere and this is a good step.

One of Grand Falls or Edmunston dropped out of provincials last year, not sure which one came, this year, they combined.

As for SJ, I believe Chris Follow and Gavin Pettigrew are running the team. They were pretty good last year, and with the addition of the CC crew, I expect they will be strong

• 2 weeks later...

Archived