Greece v. Canada - Feb. 9, 2011 - Match Thread (R)

RS

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree he has to be released if he wants to go, being a keeper that could mean the end of his starting position for a while.

I checked and the backup is a 20 year old with one pro game, Lars should come I mean he'll miss what 2 or 3 matches and their young keeper will get some experience

Just finished watching the tape and a better result than I expected. Felt badly for Straith on the goal and he had a pretty forgettable day all around, but that's how it goes. I really liked how we pressed in the final minutes looking for the equalier and should have had one but once again Friend lets himself and the MNT down by missing that free header. I didn't see the Ukraine match but someone please tell me that Occean was way better there than he was in this game because I was really disappointed: his first touch and overall possession skills were abysmal.

In support of Sam's comment, Hutchinson had a mixed bag: when he gets some space he make things happen but when in close quarter, 50-50 ball battles he got muscled off the ball too often. As much as I thought DeRo had one of his better matches in a MNT shirt, I still prefer that Hutchinson be given more license to go forward and support the striker.

I would like to have seen Pacheco get more of an extended run. Subbing Edgar in to the d-mid position had no impact and only when the Greek second half catalyst, Mitroglou (he of the Bert from Sesame Street hairdo), came off with injury did the pressure seem to subside. Pacheco may have helped better in the possession side of the game, I don't know. Johnson had his usual high work rate performance, impressive considering his early season situation, but on that greasy pitch overextending his playing time could have caused injury problems brought on by fatigue. Once again, I much prefer him in the central midfield three instead of on the flank in 4-3-3/4-5-1 Didn't get to see enough of Ricketts but looks to have some decent pace so he's worth another look and see if he's legitimate challenger for the right wing berth currently held by Jackson.

Simpson is a dangerous player for us but I thought he should have done better at getting on the end of that terrific cross by Jackson late in the first half. However, he has that burst about him and can conjure something out of a 1 v 1.

Of the Greeks, the little guy was lively all evening, but their overall attacking play in the first half was mind numbing for the most part. Disappointing, but I realize that this is still a defensive, counterattacking team better at punching above their weight against stronger offensive sides who carry the play. There was little if any urgency in their first half attacking play.

Good effort, boys. Let's see how things go next month in Turkey vs Belarus!

Well was an interesting game today for sure. One thing that I am impressed with over the last several games is our ability to compete with a variety of different options regarding player selection. It bodes well that we seem to have some depth, some options out wide, and some options out front.

I echo many peoples opinion that we are lacking a quality finisher at the front. We seem to be beating a dead horse having a lone target man at the front. Occean was inefective, as was Friend again. How many games are we going to keep putting Rob Friend as a target striker? It's just not working.

Although not the worst player on the field, Hutchinson to me was the most dissapointing. He just seemed to have an off game today and gave up possession alot. He didn't seem to play up to his usual standard for some reason.

Highlight of the game though was our new goalkeeper and kudos to Max for the great interviews. Hopefully he gets to play sometime in Canada (Next Decade maybe?) and we can give him a proper homecoming reception.

I decided to took some stats about winning and loosing the ball for our midfield. We used to do it when I played in college and I thought it was intersting so I tried it with this game (only midfield and forward).It's pretty subjective what I consider a loss or a win but if a player collect a lost ball I don't consider it as a "win" just like if a player loose the ball when place in a tough position I don't consider it as a "loss". A poor pass or getting dispossess is a loss and a good tackle or good pressure will result in a "win". While they don't give the whole picture, these kind of stats gives you perspective about who is doing what in our midfield. Here are the results:

Will Johnson won 8 balls while lossing 4. Solid.

Atiba won 4 balls and lost 9. Not good.

DeRo won 2 and lost 5. Expected for an offensive mid IMO.

I did it for Simpson and Jackson even if it doesn't mean much considering they are wingers. Josh won 3 and lost 2 while Simeon won 1 and lost 2.

As for our target men, instead of looking at "winning the ball" in their case I did count the number of time they did their job as target man (laying it off to their midfielders) vs. when they lost possession.

Occean was 8 and 4.5

Friend was 5 and 8. Those numbers were 2 and 8 prior to the stoppage time.

Not sure how to read those numbers but my initial feeling after watching the game is that we were much effective building the play with OO than Rob.

Not sure how to read those numbers but my initial feeling after watching the game is that we were much effective building the play with OO than Rob.

I certainly respect and trust your opinion enough to watch the first half again and take a closer look at Occean's play. I definitely didn't think Friend's play was any great shakes, either.

I can't believe all you guys are SO on Straith's case! He's a 20 year old kid that got a Canadian call up -- had ONE legit practice-- and was asked to play a position

that he's never played, except maybe at U-8 mini's. The team lost 1-0 and he played 90. How else do we prepare our youth for the future?

Think most people understood it wasn't Straith's fault and were questioning more why Stephen Hart didn't try to make some sort of adjustment at half-time. With Edgar and Stalteri available there were a few permutations that could have been tried at the back. If a coach is going to use friendlies to experiment then half-time is the ideal time to say sorry for throwing you to the lions like that, you are still very much part of my plans, then switch things around a bit. As someone posted earlier it looked like his subs were all pre-planned in timing terms and were not dictated in any way by the flow of the game.

*** Please don't put results into headlines and always include something like in this title to tell people the post contains a result. The game was at Wed 10am Eastern time. Lots of people record the games and watch it after work ect... Or they are stuck in Beijing.

I saw the game last night and for me it was a crushing loss out A-B team versus a strong greek team and we held our own. Lots of positives but a negative result so lets analyse who deserves a call back from this match?

Call backs imo

-Jamie Peters played very well and was solid

-Jackovic as well was very strong yesterday

-Simpson and Jackson were deadly on the wings

-Johnson and hutch were quick and crisp

-Dero was very good despite being out of season and showed he is still lethal on free kicks

-Friend was decent this time round and nearly scored in the last ten minutes on the set piece

-Milan Borjan played very well and I believe with more experience can be our number one but for now can be a strong #2 goalie

Now the players that performed poorley

-Straith he cost us the game enough said!!! yes he is young but it takes nothing to clear a ball out of the box when he isnt even being pressured by the attacker

-Ocean did absolutely nothing up front we might as well call up Ademolu or we should of started Ricketts

-Cann is not the quality we need and therefore imo should be considered a #3 consideration at CB behind Serioux, Hainault, Hastings Mckenna and Edgar

Players we didnt see enough of

Ricketts seemed quick and concise but came in late

Pacheco came in late as well would like to see more but he seems to be confident near the net

Share your thoughts boys!!!! I am very proud considering we didnt practice much but unfortunately people outside this board look at results :(

I certainly respect and trust your opinion enough to watch the first half again and take a closer look at Occean's play. I definitely didn't think Friend's play was any great shakes, either.

I watch the game twice ;)

I just think OO did a better job at showing himself in the build up than Rob. I also saw some bad touches but that is expected with a forward. I didn't say OO was great (he was OK) but he looked better than Rob IMO. I would like to see him and Gerba called for the next game.

I also thought Atiba numbers were interesting as he lost the ball quite often out there when he should be taking care of it more.

One thing that comes up from looking at the game again was that apart from Rob header we didn't get a solid scoring chance in the box.

I got a chance to watch the match last night after following it on the live chat! I predicted a solid beating due to Greece's high ranking, playing at home and Canada's rather makeshift lineup, I was pleasantly surprised! I know we have to start getting some results and develop more of a killer instinct but I think some posters are being way too harsh on the team, individual players and the coach! We were inches away from coming away with a draw which would have probably changed 90% of the negative opinion around! I agree we have to get better in some areas but some of the individual criticism is unwarranted IMHO! Straith obviously made a major blunder but he's young and as noted played out of position on short notice, Cann is in pre-season training and was a last minute call up, he didn't have a whole lot of understanding with his central defence partner and keeper, I thought he was ok! I think Hutch is better suited for the more advanced role he moved into later in the second half, once again this was a product of having to put a makeshift lineup out there! Friend misses a good opportunity by inches, if he scores everyone (except Lord Bob) is singing his praises today! The forward position in the system we are playing is tough, I'm not sure who the answer is there, Gerba has to be given a chance there as well! I thought Peters, DeRo, Simpson and Borjan all had real strong games! If there is such a thing as a , this was one! good loss

The crowd did have alot of school kids / youth soccer clubs in attendance. Similar to the Ukraine game I attended in the fall, I guess Canada isn't a big draw. I was disappointed from the response I got from inviting Canadian staff from the embassy in Athens and consulate in thessalonkia. No one wanted to join us. Oh well, we had a good time nonetheless.

You need to delete this thread right now. There are people waiting to download/watch the game who have not seen it and you're advertising the result in your thread title. Don't do that. Delete. Post this in this thread:Greece v. Canada - Feb. 9, 2011 - Match Thread ®

Thanks hugs and kisses.

Peters - I thought, obviously is very athletic and quick, good to have as an attacking full back, but I thought his passing was / is poor and until that improves, against the best teams that will hurt us. Obvious choice IMO to keep around.

Jackovic - Is ok, was good. Not commanding, but did well and a good guy to have around.

Cann - I thought did quite well. Should be given much more thought to play more IMO.

Simpson - Fantastic.

Jackson - Was ok, I didn't think raised any eyebrows. Good player though.

Dero - I thought made space for himself very well, dropped deep which I liked on occasion. If fit, could be great in that role.

Friend - I thought was awful. Presence and dangerous in the air on set pieces only reason to keep him around.

Borjan - did ok. made some poor mental mistakes (trying to beat a man then play a mediocre pass to Straith). But made some good saves, decent off his line.

Straith - obviously uncomfortable at left back, good for him for giving it a go there.

Ocean - Awful. The commentator didn't even realize he had left the pitch until the 50th minute!

The rest I can't comment on, didn't see enough of them.

Thats my thought of the matchday players! Feel free to agree or disagree! :)

My thoughts....

Peters - I thought, obviously is very athletic and quick, good to have as an attacking full back, but I thought his passing was / is poor and until that improves, against the best teams that will hurt us. Obvious choice IMO to keep around.

Jackovic - Is ok, was good. Not commanding, but did well and a good guy to have around.

Cann - I thought did quite well. Should be given much more thought to play more IMO.

Simpson - Fantastic.

Jackson - Was ok, I didn't think raised any eyebrows. Good player though.

Dero - I thought made space for himself very well, dropped deep which I liked on occasion. If fit, could be great in that role.

Friend - I thought was awful. Presence and dangerous in the air on set pieces only reason to keep him around.

Borjan - did ok. made some poor mental mistakes (trying to beat a man then play a mediocre pass to Straith). But made some good saves, decent off his line.

Straith - obviously uncomfortable at left back, good for him for giving it a go there.

Ocean - Awful. The commentator didn't even realize he had left the pitch until the 50th minute!

The rest I can't comment on, didn't see enough of them.

Thats my thought of the matchday players! Feel free to agree or disagree!

The crowd did have alot of school kids / youth soccer clubs in attendance. Similar to the Ukraine game I attended in the fall, I guess Canada isn't a big draw. I was disappointed from the response I got from inviting Canadian staff from the embassy in Athens and consulate in thessalonkia. No one wanted to join us. Oh well, we had a good time nonetheless.

Great to hear you had fun there! The crowd sounded enthused, they chanted the Hellas thing throughout! Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the CSA really should do more to get the youth soccer groups to our home matches to fill the seats and add to the atmosphere!

Any pictures of you at the game?

Friend misses a good opportunity by inches, if he scores everyone (except Lord Bob) is singing his praises today!

Believe me, if Friend had buried that one I'd be as delighted as anyone.

I don't hate Rob Friend for any personal reasons. He didn't run over my girlfriend or sleep with my dog. It's just that he sucks. If he gets a lucky goal I'll take it (like getting a wide-open header from a perfect angle late in a game against one of the ten best defenses in the world on the road), and if he magically stops sucking then I'll join his fan club.

It's just that there seems to be no danger of that whatsoever.

Believe me, if Friend had buried that one I'd be as delighted as anyone.

I don't hate Rob Friend for any personal reasons. He didn't run over my girlfriend or sleep with my dog. It's just that he sucks. If he gets a lucky goal I'll take it (like getting a wide-open header from a perfect angle late in a game against one of the ten best defenses in the world on the road), and if he magically stops sucking then I'll join his fan club.

It's just that there seems to be no danger of that whatsoever.

I thought before I watched the game last night that he missed an open net with the header, it wasn't that easy, it needed to be perfect to beat the keeper who probably would have got a hand on it had it not been just inside the post! I agree he hasn't been scoring enough for Canada but who has from the striker position lately? Some have criticized him for not tracking back enough, do you really want your lone front man helping out a 5 man midfield? One more note for all the Rob haterz, do you remember his response when ********** chose England, he was very vocal and very pissed, how soon people forget!

Archived