Greece v. Canada - Feb. 9, 2011 - Match Thread (R)

RS

22px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece v. Canada 22px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

International Friendly

Wednesday, February 9, 2011. 10:00am ET/7:00am PT.

AEL FC Arena. Larissa, Greece.

TV: Rogers Sportsnet ONE (reruns - Ontario 8pm ET, West 11:30pm MT, Pacific 11:30pm PT)

Video Webcast: sportsnet.ca live stream, FoxSoccer.tv (USA only)

Edmonton Viewing Party: Elephant & Castle (Whyte Ave.) - 5:30pm local

Toronto Viewing Party: Scallywags (11 St. Clair Ave. W.) - 9:45am local

Live chats: CBC, Canadian Soccer News

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez I haven't been this nervous for a friendly since Honduras last Sept. in Montreal. So much potential, both good and bad. If we get a draw, or squeak out a win, it would do wonders for our World Cup positioning. On the flip side, this one has the lead up to suggest we're going to get embarrassed. Injuries before and during camp, players unable to make it, last minute call-ups for players who haven't seen the pitch for their club teams in a looooong time, the works.

At least if it's not a good showing there are obvious reasons that will have contributed. Having a bad showing with your best team and under the best possible conditions would be much more devastating. On the flip side if there are positives to come from the match it will bode well for the future especially given the trying circumstances. There is a big up side in my estimation.

Starting XI:

CanadaSoccerEN CanadaSoccer.com

#canMNT - Starting XI - GK Borjan - Peters, Jakovic, Cann, Straith - Hutchinson, Johnson, Jackson, De Rosario, Simpson, Occean.

Not sure if that back four is being listed R-L or L-R. Also, assuming a 4-3-3, it's unclear which of Jackson, De Ro, or Simpson will be joining Hutch and Johnson in the midfield. I guess we'll see soon enough. And Edgar must be wondering what calamity must befall Canada for him to get a shot.

Starting XI:

#canMNT - Starting XI - GK Borjan - Peters, Jakovic, Cann, Straith - Hutchinson, Johnson, Jackson, De Rosario, Simpson, Occean.

Not sure if that back four is being listed R-L or L-R. Also, assuming a 4-3-3, it's unclear which of Jackson, De Ro, or Simpson will be joining Hutch and Johnson in the midfield. I guess we'll see soon enough. And Edgar must be wondering what calamity must befall Canada for him to get a shot.

OFFICIAL STARTING XI - 4-2-3-1

CANADA:

BORJAN

PETERS-JAKOVIC-CANN-STRAITH

HUTCHINSON -- JOHNSON

DEROSARIO

JACKSON SIMPSON

OCCEAN

Captain still unannounced....Apparently a sell-out is expecte...wow!

MB

Starting XI:

Good to see Borjan got the start, but unfortunate it came at the expense of an injury to Lars.

I know I've written this a few times already, but when I had a chance to talk with Stalteri in Edmonton he made it quite clear that playing in North America was not in any way shape or form on his radar - at all. I would never expect to see him in MLS unless a dumptruck full of money gets parked in front of his house.

If Paul wants to keep his spot on the MNT he should get his ass over to MLS where he has at least a hope of getting minutes.

Maybe Cann and DeRo can talk sense into the guy...

I think it's all about money at this point, he's making more for the reserves in Germany than he would in MLS!

I know I've written this a few times already, but when I had a chance to talk with Stalteri in Edmonton he made it quite clear that playing in North America was not in any way shape or form on his radar - at all. I would never expect to see him in MLS unless a dumptruck full of money gets parked in front of his house.

well then....screw him.

Watching the countdown to event start clock on sportsnet.ca is driving me nuts, who's with me?

Archived