Morace to quit after WWC?

kj52

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.cknw.com/News/Sports/Article.aspx?id=264764

at 19:05 on February 24, 2011, EST.

Canadian women's soccer team ready to take the field again, but no deal on money

The Canadian Press

TORONTO - The Canadian women's soccer team has lifted its boycott threat.

The women say they are back onside because of progress made by the Canadian Soccer Association in resolving issues with coach Carolina Morace.

The decision means the women will take to the field Saturday in Cyprus for a friendly with Scotland.

There is no resolution when it comes to player compensation, however.

Lawyers representing the team will file for arbitration next week with the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada unless the CSA shares financial information requested by the women.

The women's team is currently training in Rome.

Content Provided By Canadian Press.

Equality in sports? Women aren't there yet

Vancouver Sun

By Mike Beamish, March 3, 2011 3:08 PM

The ranks of women as owners, trainers and jockeys at horse racing tracks are thin — so an Australian turf club decided to take a controversial approach to change that.

Copying a similar promotion at Hollywood Park in Los Angeles, the Gold Coast Turf Club had up to 150 women, wearing bikinis and running shoes, gallop down the home stretch in a knockout format for a cash prize.

As Emily Wilding Davison has been dead for nearly a century, one can only imagine her response to the parody. Davison was forever memorialized as the British suffragette-martyr trampled under the King's horse at the running of the 1913 Epsom Derby. She later died of her injuries — after trying to pull down George V's steed — in the ultimate protest to win the vote for women.

Universal suffrage didn't arrive in the U.K. until 15 years later, however, a decade after all women over the age of 21 were given a voice and the right of choice in Canada.

cont'd

btw those interested in "suffragette" can read my soccer pov here - www.soccersuffragist.com

note RSS feeds sometimes make the load slow

Davison was forever memorialized as the British suffragette-martyr trampled under the King's horse at the running of the 1913 Epsom Derby. She later died of her injuries — after trying to pull down George V's steed — in the ultimate protest to win the vote for women.
Amazingly this is a famous bit of footage caught on film.

I mentioned to Neil last year that she would make a great interview, and said the question I would like to hear her answer to is "how has the game changed since you played, and how will it change in the next 5-10 years?"

I mentioned to Neil last year that she would make a great interview, and said the question I would like to hear her answer to is "how has the game changed since you played, and how will it change in the next 5-10 years?"

I've not forgotten about your super suggestion and I'm working on it. Presently I'm lining up WNT players for a Cypress series of chats. This leads to this question..... When is a preferred time for V's to view chats keeping in mind our WNT is always overseas?

1st chat could be this weekend and I will post time here. Also, I will set up a notice/mail list at this site www.soccersuffragist.com or you can Email me at coachrich@telus.net prior to the list being up on site.

• 2 weeks later...

At CAAWS too

Women remain under-represented in sports leadership roles

By John MacKinnon, Postmedia News March 8, 2011

EDMONTON — On the centennial edition of International Women’s Day, some sports heavyweights from the International Olympic Committee to soccer czar Sepp Blatter, of all people, voiced laudable support for women’s place in sport, as you would expect.

“We have always believed that the future of football is feminine,” said Blatter who, as president of FIFA, his sport’s governing body, has gained notoriety for serial political incorrectness rather than for championing women’s rights, among other groups.

Still, the future of women’s soccer in Canada certainly seems bright, what with the women’s World Cup coming to Canada in 2015, and the 2014 under-20 women’s World Cup coming, too, as a test event for the big show one year later.

That happy announcement, though, came in the wake of a nasty squabble (now largely resolved) between Canada’s ninth-ranked national women’s team and the Canadian Soccer Association over the players’ compensation and the future of head coach Carolina Morace.

cont'd

CSA has sent proposal to Morace to keep here as women's coach

TSN

The Canadian Press

03/29/2011

VANCOUVER -- Negotiations continue between the Canadian Soccer Association and women's head coach Carolina Morace for her to remain with the team until at least the 2012 London Olympic Games.

A proposal, including monetary compensation for the women's team, has been presented to Morace, CSA president Dominic Maestracci said Tuesday.

Morace has threatened to quit as national team coach following this year's Women's World Cup in Germany.

"We sent our proposal," Maestracci said. "Now we are waiting for a response from the coach and the team."

Maestracci and Peter Montopoli, the CSA's general secretary, were in Vancouver inspecting B.C. Place Stadium as a possible venue for when Canada hosts the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup.

Maestracci did not offer details of the proposal given to Morace.

Asked about Morace's status with the team, Maestracci said: "It's better."

"Now it's a question of negotiations with the lawyer of the team," he said.

cont'd

Canadian Soccer Association officials check out B.C. Place as potential Women’s Word Cup site in 2015

By Marc Weber,

The Province March 29, 2011 7:00 PM

CSA president Dr. Dominic Maestracci was also present at the media gathering outside B.C. Place.

He said the association continues to negotiate with women’s coach Carolina Morace, who has threatened to quit following this summer’s World Cup.

“It’s better,” he said of the situation, noting the short-term focus is to extend Morace through the 2012 London Olympics.

“I think everybody is looking forward to the opening [World Cup] game on the 26th of June against Germany. For us, it’s important that everything is ready and we play to win this game and [advance out of the group].”

Morace is seeking greater control of her budget and the overall strategy of the women’s program in Canada. The players, meanwhile, are seeking to be paid in a similar way to the men’s team and have retained legal counsel.

Canada earned the No. 6 spot in the latest FIFA women’s world rankings on March 18 — its highest position ever since the system was introduced in 2003.

The squad is coming off a Cyprus Cup title this month and is currently in Rome preparing for the World Cup.

cont'd

Montopoli said those discussions will take place once the host cities are chosen in 2012.

He said it’s the CSA’s belief that artificial turf — like the one that will be installed at B.C. Place — is acceptable to FIFA for the event, but added that more will become clear during FIFA’s visit in the fall.

CSA president Dr. Dominic Maestracci was also present at the media gathering outside B.C. Place.

Two things..one FIFA will demand grass for what after Germany will be a premier event seen as needing to match the men's event in all aspects.... so it will be grass.

Second.... citys like Ottawa are probably in deep trouble to show they can host with no stadia on hand and no real plan to build one ...that is certain.

So the CSA needs to find six cities with stadia of 20k plus and grass.... with no track or CFL huge distances from the pitch side.

Two things..one FIFA will demand grass for what after Germany will be a premier event seen as needing to match the men's event in all aspects.... so it will be grass.

Second.... citys like Ottawa are probably in deep trouble to show they can host with no stadia on hand and no real plan to build one ...that is certain.

So the CSA needs to find six cities with stadia of 20k plus and grass.... with no track or CFL huge distances from the pitch side.

Fifa can't demand anything of the sort. In fact they have issued many pronouncements in favour of artificial surfaces. There's no way the women would be influential enough to demand it themselves, like the men could.

It's pretty obvious what stadiums will be used and I would doubt that you'll see turf in any of them, aside from possibly Moncton, if it still has grass at that point.

I can't see them going to the expense to install turf tray systems, especially seeing what few bucks the feds are giving to this project. So it'll likely be FieldTurf for most of the games.

I don't know how you can say Ottawa has no plans to build a stadium. The NIMBYs are challenging it and until that goes through the courts nothing can be done but they're ready to go. Shovels were supposed to be in the ground this year.

281gg9d.jpg

This a typical CSA red herring as Morace and the players from the beginning have stated the 2 issue are not connected in negotiations. The 2 issues are completely separate so why 1 proposal. Now the whole world can see what Morace and the players are dealing with when it comes to the CSA .....2 sides of the mouth.

TGAM reports -

"A proposal, including monetary compensation for the women's team, has been presented to Morace, CSA president Dominic Maestracci said Tuesday."

“We sent our proposal,” Maestracci said. “Now we are waiting for a response from the coach and the team.”

TGAM article - click here

This a typical CSA red herring as Morace and the players from the beginning have stated the 2 issue are not connected in negotiations. The 2 issues are completely separate so why 1 proposal. Now the whole world can see what Morace and the players are dealing with when it comes to the CSA .....2 sides of the mouth.

Um... no we can't? Maestracci explicitly said he's waiting to hear from the coach and the team. I'm not sure how I can read "he's a duplicitous lying son-of-a-*****" into "he's trying to deal with both critical issues at once".

CSA put out this statement earlier today:

The Canadian Soccer Association would like to clarify the media reports from earlier this week regarding the submission of a proposal to Women’s National Team Head Coach Carolina Morace and the National Women’s Team.

As stated previously, the status with Morace is separate from the Women’s National Team compensation matter. The Canadian Soccer Association did meet with Morace in February and continues to work towards having her remain in her post until the 2012 Olympics.

Those lying skunks!

Archived