U-20 Camp in Florida

BackAgain

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Julien Latendresse was call for the camp, however he injered his shoulder and won't come.

Too bad about that injury. He would have likely been called up to the senior team as backup due to gk injury with the Bundesliga 1 squad.

The field of 12 teams has been set for the CONCACAF U20 Men's tournament in Guatamala in April : Link

Don't remember this many sides being involved in the finals before. What happens if Guadeloupe finish in a qualifying spot for the FIFA U20 tournament? Will the next best finisher go to the world championship?

They should have a look at Danny Paton-Cavanagh. Sure is nice to have some GK depth at u20.

Seriously though, Dundee supporters rate him I remember seeing. And then you've gotta remember Street and Gracey who dissappeared?

Lots of talent for keeper at this age level, just what the doctor ordered. Funny too that we have so many talented U20 keepers abroad that keepers playing for the big three are in tough to even get a sniff.

Here's the roster (I wasn't aware of the Uruguayan connection...):

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4653

CANADA

GK- Jordan Santiago | ENG / Cardiff City FC

GK- Roberto Stillo | ITA / Genoa CFC

CB- Derrick Bassi | Unttached / sans club

CB- Sean Hart | USA / Schulz Academy

CB- Chris Suta | CAN / Milltown FC

D- Sven Arapovic | CAN / Toronto Croatia

D- Francesco Augustin | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

D- Andy Correa | URU / El Tanque Sisley

D- Gino Mauro | Unttached / sans club

D- Dominic Roberts | USA / Southern New Hampshire University

M- Kevin Cobby | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Jonathan Osorio | URU / Club Nacional

M- John Pegg | USA / San Diego State University

M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / Club Nacional

F- Stefan Cebara | HUN / Zalaegerszegi TE

F- Coulton Jackson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

F- Justin Maheu | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf

F- Massimo Mirabelli | CAN / Portugal FC

F- Jordan Ongaro | USA / San Diego State University

F- Troy Pennycooke-Morgan | ENG / Sheffield United

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Valerio Gazzola

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Carmine Isacco

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Michael Findlay

Video Coordinator / Vidéaste : Matthew Shepherd

Fitness Coach / Préparateur physique : Paolo Pacione

Team Manager / Gérant d’équipe : Les Meszaros

Equipment Manager / Gérant de l’équipement : Davide DeDonato

Athletic Therapist / Thérapeute du sport : Jason Moniz

Am I the only one concerned that this roster is a tad underwhelming? 2 players that are currently unattached for example...I confess I'm not familiar with all the names on the list, what do others think? Will this squad be competitive? Is there a good chance of progressing?

Nice mix of strikers. The two kids from Ottawa (Maheu and Pennycooke-Morgan) are with pro clubs, along with the Uruguay based Cavallini and Hungary based Cebara. Add a Whitecaps residency player in Jackson. Excuse my ignorance, but is Portugal FC CSL? Wonder what the next generation of Ongaro's will bring? Pretty good credentials there, considering we have gone into U20's with primarily NCAA based strikers in the past.

Am I the only one concerned that this roster is a tad underwhelming? 2 players that are currently unattached for example...I confess I'm not familiar with all the names on the list, what do others think? Will this squad be competitive? Is there a good chance of progressing?

The squad is missing some names notably Ethan Gage, Julien Latendresse-Levesque, Niall Cousens, Doneil Henry, Ashtone Morgan and (by what TFC fans saw vs. Partizan) Oscar Cordon. I wouldn't call this a final squad its missing a lot of guys but this is the second last camp so some final decisions will be made. I think the squad will be pretty good talent wise I'm a lot more optimistic now that it looks like Teibert is at full health even though Lindsay is out injured. I think this age group is going to produce many talented players but whether Gazzola selects the right ones is another question, I think if we fail to qualify its on Gazzola.

Stefan Cebara (the youngest player in the Hungarian first division) joining the team will give us a boost for sure.

I wonder if Ethan Gage's signing with Reading will affect his availability for the qualifying tournament in April. Plus, this camp can't be coming at a good time for Russell Teibert. He is starting with the first choice XI for the Whitecaps and now needs to leave in the middle of training camp.

Bassi is actually playing at SFU and was an NAIA all-American last year - can't play under contract due to NCAA rules and Mauro was playing in Serie D with some club that you'll have to google for or find a hard-core fan of Italian soccer as I couldn't even name a single team in Serie D :-P

Bassi BTW looks amazing playing at this level...if anyone in VanCity gets a chance take in a game, it's good ball.

Good to see some new faces...

Anyone else notice Carmine Isacco has replaced Rafa Carbajal as the Asst. Coach?

Rafael was unable to attend this camp. Isaaco has always been a member of the staff. They'll be all back together at the next camp

Archived