Canada-Belarus March 29th

Blackdude

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We definitely should get another one for the same camp. It's pretty useless calling in guys and not even playing them especially this year which is a crucial year. We need matches, matches and more matches. The CSA needs to pick it up we had a huge break from Ukraine to now and from Greece to the end of March we are talking almost another 2 month break.

According to belta.by (reported by Dobber)

For those who understand russian.

http://www.belta.by/ru/all_news/sport/Futbolisty-sbornoj-Belarusi-29-marta-provedut-sparring-s-komandoj-Kanady_i_541290.html

Canada will face Belarus in Anatalya, Turkey on March 29

Not too much info in the article but the game was apparently announced in a press conference of the Belarus Football Association so it looks like it is pretty firm. Good opponent for us, a solid team that has been on a roll lately. They are in second place in their Euro qualification group, one point behind France who they beat in Paris 1-0. They also beat South Korea and tied Honduras in recent friendlies. They are currently ranked 36 by FIFA which is a bit too high but could allow us to gain some ranking points with a good result against them. ELO has them 47th which is probably where they belong.

^

Yeah i believe we should play lower ranked teams to we need them points.

Getting back to this match I believe that this is a very winnable match. Belarus is ranked 36 according to FIFA, yet is ranked 47 according to ELO (which i believe to be a better system), to compare it to Canada which ranked 80 by FIFA, however ELO ranks us 59th.

Also ELO ranks 6th in CONCACAF

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can sort this out, why doesn’t Belarus play friendly’s on home soil? Their last three friendly’s were neutral site and their next two (Canada and Kazakhstan) are neutral site games.

My first reaction would be that going to Belarus and the paperwork necessary to play in Belarus is a hassle, but that’s not an issue for Kazakhstan to play in Belarus.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can sort this out, why doesn’t Belarus play friendly’s on home soil? Their last three friendly’s were neutral site and their next two (Canada and Kazakhstan) are neutral site games.

My first reaction would be that going to Belarus and the paperwork necessary to play in Belarus is a hassle, but that’s not an issue for Kazakhstan to play in Belarus.

It's better we play them in Antalya at this period as we want to avoid another Tallinn 2008...

I believe most of the time it has to do with money. It's cheaper to play in a third party stadium. It's not up to Belarus or Canada to sell out the venue now.

^

Yeah i believe we should play lower ranked teams to we need them points.

Getting back to this match I believe that this is a very winnable match. Belarus is ranked 36 according to FIFA, yet is ranked 47 according to ELO (which i believe to be a better system), to compare it to Canada which ranked 80 by FIFA, however ELO ranks us 59th.

Also ELO ranks 6th in CONCACAF

Wow!

Didn't know they did soccer rankings. I almost Turned to Stone when I found out, but of course that's like hearing from a Sweet Talking Woman. Anyway, Hold on Tight to Your Dreams. :P

The above done with all apologies.

we talked with the team manager before the game and he wasn't really optimistic about another friendly before GC.

Great just great... how ridiculous is that?! A world cup qualifying year and a confederations cup Gold Cup tournament and we are going to have TWO friendlies leading up to the Gold Cup?!? Not just two friendlies but two european friendlies, I doubt we get MLS players for Belarus... ah well guess we'll just put the full team together in WCQ right...

FIFA to investigate midweek Bulgaria-Estonia friendly

SOFIA, Bulgaria (Reuters) -- World soccer's ruling body FIFA has ordered an investigation into the midweek friendly between Bulgaria and Estonia, an official said on Friday.

The match, played in the Turkish resort of Antalya on Wednesday, ended 2-2 with all the goals coming from penalties.

"FIFA contacted us and requested a full report from the Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) and also said they would receive a report from the Estonian FA," a BFU official who declined to be identified told Reuters on Friday.

"We will provide full assistance to FIFA."

Earlier on Friday, BFU president Borislav Mihaylov told reporters: "We had some doubts about the refereeing in this match".

There is also confusion over which referee took charge of the game.

Official reports from the BFU and the Estonian FA say the referee was Hungarian Krisztian Selmeczi.

However, Hungarian referees' chief Laszlo Wagner and Hungarian media have indicated the referee was Selmeczi's fellow countryman Kolos Lengyel. Wagner said the three match officials involved would now be suspended.

"I'm shocked because we didn't receive a letter to allow these referees (Selmeczi, Lengyel and Janos Csak) to officiate at this game," Wagner told Bulgarian radio.

"I can say that these three will not officiate any more matches while I'm head of the commission."

On Thursday, Estonia FA spokesman Mihkel Uiboleht told local media that his organisation were told about "possible manipulation" ahead of the match.

"The friendly was organised by an agency with whom we will not work any more," said Uiboleht.

"We received information of possible manipulation even before the game as the same agency also organised the match between Latvia and Bolivia and there was the same scenario there."

Latvia beat Bolivia 2-1 in a game featuring three penalties in a friendly held at the same venue earlier on Wednesday.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/02/11/fifa.bulgaria.estonia.friendly/index.html#ixzz1DiThnefq

Wow so an agency arranges closed door international friendlies in Antalya just to fix them with Macedonia style refereeing. I wonder if the CSA is dealing with the same agency???

Archived